PDA

View Full Version : turflon ester by the gallon

aquasport
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
About five years ago I purchased a gallon of monterey turflon ester (on-line).
I have since ran out and am looking to purchase more but forgot where I purchased from. Can someone guide me to a site where buy more
Thanks

atouchofnature
10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I haven't used Turflon in years. When I need to deal with brush or violets, I use Crossbow (which is a similar product). Most Southern States or Tractor Supply stores carry Crossbow. In a pinch, Ortho's Brush-B-Gone will substitute, and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot.

atouchofnature
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
As an afterthought, check the label if you opt for one of the substitutions I mentioned. I just realized that I have no idea what you are planning to do with it, and don't want to be giving you advice to use something off label. I was speaking in terms of active ingredient (Triclopyr).

http://www.yardlover.com/turflon-ester-pint?gclid=CLfa6cyutZ0CFZI52godIw-E_A

http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Lawn-Garden-Turflon-Ester/dp/B000UGO51Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255276940&sr=8-2

aquasport
10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I have bermuda grass in my tall fescue, I prefer turflon ester.

ksJoe
10-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Prefer it over.... Fusilade II/Ornamec? I'm curious why

I'm a homeowner with bermuda in my tall fescue, just started treating with Fusilade this fall

greendoctor
10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
How does your fescue handle being sprayed with Fusilade/Ornamec? Reason why I ask is Turflon ester applied with Fusilade or Ornamec acts as an antidote for the fescue, while enhancing the activity on the bermuda.

Think Green
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Greendoctor,
Are you referring to the discoloration of the Fescue as it may slow the growth in using the Fluazifop?
Triclopyr will stunt the bermuda if spayed just before the dorman season. It may stunt or discolor the fescue too!
Is this what you are referring.??
I only use Fluazifop in beds.........too expensive and stinks like pre-m to use on lawns in general. Triclopyr is used around my ditchbanks to keep out all of the goldenrod--and other hard to kill weedy stemmed stuff.

greendoctor
10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes. Interestingly enough, combining the two gives the best of both worlds. In my area, Fusilade or Acclaim by itself is very risky on zoysia. You might owe someone a new lawn. Adding Turflon has kept the Fusilade from browning zoysia. The happy side effect of this is most hard to kill broadleaf weeds are toast. I do not think 4 oz per acre of Fusilade is that expensive. Most of my other applications are painfully expensive.

Think Green
10-11-2009, 08:54 PM
" Quoted"-"Adding Turflon has kept the Fusilade from browning zoysia."

How interesting!!!
Did you learn this from trial and error or by research reports.? I would love to have your sources.

ksJoe
10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
So far it has tolerated it well. I do have a sprinlker system, so I can water it plenty. I did the fusilade about a month ago. Some areas the growth is stunted, but its still green. Those areas had thick bermuda, which now looks dead. I had lightly fertlized and watered shortly before to get it actively growing.

My application isn't as even as you guys get. I'm using a Gilmour hose sprayer (362). I filled it with water, carefully measured off 1k, and tested how much I applied. But the manual said for chemicals thicker than water, it wouldn't apply as much. I didn't want want to guess the difference, so for my first attempt I assumed it would apply equally. My first attempt only applied around 10% the target rate. I waited a few days and tried again, getting around 50%. Waited a week or two and did a much larger area, and got right at my target/label rate. I'm aiming for the middle of the label rate.

That last time I applied, I had an accidental squirt before everything was adjusted. About 3 square feet got hit hard. Maybe 2x or 3x? I expected to have a spot to reseed, but it seems fine. It just isn't growing much.

One thing that's helping, is marker dye. With the amount of dye I'm using, the dye just barely starts to change the color of the grass when I have the right amount of fusilade. So I'm getting it much more even than you might expect with a hose sprayer. It also makes leaks easier to spot on my gloves.

Think Green
10-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Joe,
The blue dye from Becker Underwood supplier, is what I use. The problem with using the dye and Fluazifop is the color turns milky blue! It isn't the strong blue that accompanies my application of 3-way, MSMA, and others. When I use Pre-M or Barricade, the water turns green. Yellow and Blue Makes Green!!! LOL!!!!
Anyway, the combination you are mixing will be slightly off the blue color but you can definately see where you have been.

aquasport
10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I have marathon 2e and the turflon has no effect on it at all, but kills the weed.
it great stuff. I just would like to get it by the gallon, because it becomes less expensive to use if you buy a larger quantity .

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I hate Bermuda! I've got it in some KBG lawns. Been told that Acclaim & Turflon mixed do better on it then Turflon alone & that adding Tenacity to the mix really smokes it. Too bad it looks like we won't see Tenacity at all for residential properties!

greendoctor
10-11-2009, 10:01 PM
" Quoted"-"Adding Turflon has kept the Fusilade from browning zoysia."

How interesting!!!
Did you learn this from trial and error or by research reports.? I would love to have your sources.

Have a look at this article. http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/2006oct99.pdf If I did not read and understand it, I would not have bugged my CPS/Agrium outlet to bring in Turflon Ester for me. Earlier, there have been several zoysia lawns that I have sprayed with 4oz/acre of Fusilade or 16 oz acre of Ornamec alone and I thought I would owe those people a new lawn. It took over a month for the grass to look acceptable after that and I was supposed to spray it monthly until the bermuda was dead? Adding the Turflon allows me to apply monthly and not injure the zoysia. This is important, because damaged zoysia allows weeds of all kinds to come up.

greendoctor
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I hate Bermuda! I've got it in some KBG lawns. Been told that Acclaim & Turflon mixed do better on it then Turflon alone & that adding Tenacity to the mix really smokes it. Too bad it looks like we won't see Tenacity at all for residential properties!

Syngenta is a real chickenS&*T company. They played the same game with Monument 75 WG. Finally, Monument got labeled for residential lawns after many lawn mowers and landscapers I know of have been using it anyway. Don't know why they do things that way. Yes, I know there are some hoops to jump through with the EPA on registration that are not there for golf course labeling. But it is fact that there is more acreage in residential and commercial turf than golf course. Syngenta is just limiting their market.

ksJoe
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Have a look at this article. http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/2006oct99.pdf

Interesting. So - you've seen the same benefit on fescue?

greendoctor
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM
That is the effect proven by many university researchers. Out of the two grasses, zoysia is actually more sensitive than fescue. Of course, spraying anything on fescue in midsummer, without regular irrigation begs to damage the grass. A lot of what I can and cannot do is influenced by the level of maintenance. All of my lawns are cut with a reel mower. They all have irrigation systems set to apply an inch of water per week and I am responsible for the fertilization.

cpa4t9r
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I've had less turf damage with Acclaim/Turflon mix than with Fusillade/Turflon and better control. In my area, Acclaim/Turflon has been more consistently successful on bermuda in fescue in university trials.

aquasport
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
so using Acclaim with turflon works better then turflon alone, is Acclaim just as expensive as turflon-ester and can anyone please direct me to a site where I purchase both

ksJoe
10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
On ebay, there are pints of turflon for $47 (+ship), gallons of Acclaim for $399 (freeship).

I've done some looking for gallons of turflon but have not found any.

aquasport
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
thanks KsJoe

I'll try calling around this morning. I'm using a spot sprayer to apply the turflon using about 1 oz per 2 gallon of water, maybe not even 1 oz. Is Acclaim have the same ratios

cpa4t9r
10-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Acclaim ratios per label for bermuda suppression is 20-28 oz/acre and turflon at 16-32 oz per acre. The mix recommended for TTTF in NC has Acclaim on the lower end and turflon at the higher end, but that is likely due to applications being made on cool-season TTTF during hotter temps when bermuda is stronger. Zoysia may be different. I believe the McElroy study has some rates.

JDL has Acclaim in pints for ~$110-$120. Also, EHGriffith has them too rather than you having the shell out for a gallon if you don't need it.

aquasport
10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
cpa4tpr

what is the web address for JDL

Thank again

cpa4t9r
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.lesco.com/

a.k.a. John Deere Landscapes (bought Lesco a few yrs ago).

ksJoe
10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
If you haven't bought Turflon Ester yet, I found it slightly cheaper.

yardlover is selling it on Ebay for $46.99 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Turflon-Ester-Weed-Killer-for-Cool-Season-Grass-1-Pint_W0QQitemZ370264913581QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56358236ad

But they (same company) currently have it discounted to $42.95 on their website:
http://www.yardlover.com/turflon-ester-pint

Shipping is also a few cents cheaper from their website - at least for my address.

Or, doitbest.com has half pints for $22.49, and you can get it shipped free to a participating hardware store.

aquasport
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I've got my turflon and acclaim, both very expensive but I hope worth it, My question now is.

I'm will be using a two gallon sprayer to apply the mixture of turflon/acclaim how much of each product should I use per two gallon?

Thanks

nyaben
10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I have used Turflon to control bermuda/wiregrass. Does the wiregrass eventually become immune to the Turflon? A friend told me he thought it would.

Bryn
10-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Just a reminder to read the label on Fusillade, as the last time I read the label it was not labeled for residential lawn application, only flow beds.

Turflon Ester with Acclaim Extra is a good solution for Bermuda suppression applied every month from about April to September. Just remember to drop the Turflon out a couple of months before you over seed in September.

Shegardi
10-07-2010, 08:50 PM
CPS/Agrium has Chaser Turf, same as Turflon Ester. I use it in early spring.

RogueWarrior
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Two Questions:

I have a mixture of red & Idaho fescue and I want to over seed again to make it fuller, and I have Bermuda invading as we speak/type.

My questions:

1) I bought Turflon Ester - will that be enough to control it or should I just buy Ornemac/Fusillade II and use that?

2) When should I overseed. Seems both the Bermuda and my fescue are coming alive at the same time - should I attempt to control the bermuda first, and then overseed in Spring?

Please help!!!!

greendoctor
10-08-2010, 03:24 PM
CPS/Agrium has Chaser Turf, same as Turflon Ester. I use it in early spring.

Not the same thing. Chaser has 2,4-D in it, which will cancel out the Acclaim or Fusilade.

Shegardi
10-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Yep, I was thinking of Turflon 2...brain fart, sorry.

greendoctor
10-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Turflon 2 Ester is the same as Chaser. By itself, it severely damages common and hybrid bermuda. But the combination of that and one of the selective grass herbicides is a useless mix.

Shegardi
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
No bermuda here, or not desirable anyway.