PDA

View Full Version : Best way to edge

NEWGUYRI
10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I was wondering what you guys think the best way is to edge. THIS IS NOT A STUPID QUESTION. I don't want a response like "use an edger, lol" I mean once you have used an edger, do you put the dirt in a wheelbarrow. This is very manual and annoying. I have a McLane 3.5 hp edger.

LouisianaLawnboy
10-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Will your edges be that overgrown that you will have to cart them away.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Really depends on how much overgrowth you're dealing with. If doing just maintenance, most just blow it back onto the lawn, dirt and all. If really badly overgrown, you might even need to shovel it up and bag it or the like. Other times, you might need to edge first and kick/blow it all onto the lawn and mulch it up with the mower. And then maybe after wards, you may need to edge it second time to clean up the edge lines.

If you're producing lots of dirt all the time, you may be edging a lot deeper than you need to. Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

NEWGUYRI
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
ah so you are saying I could put the dirt on to the lawn and then bag/mulch it?

NEWGUYRI
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
this is defining the edge not maintaining it

STIHL GUY
10-11-2009, 11:46 PM
i use a trimmer to keep the edges defined and then i just blow it back into the lawn

NEWGUYRI
10-11-2009, 11:57 PM
i use a trimmer to keep the edges defined and then i just blow it back into the lawn

I do the same for definition, but I am wondering about actually creating the edge in itself.

rob7233
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
this is defining the edge not maintaining it

Are you saying you're creating a new edge? Is this adjacent to a hard surface? Why wouldn't you want to take that BR 600 and blow it back up onto the lawn? Are there some other issues going on?

NEWGUYRI
10-12-2009, 12:26 AM
yes, essentially I have a flower bed meeting the lawn that does not have an edge, I have been cutting about 1 inch into the lawn to make a well defined trench like edge. The issue is that involves me moving a lot of dirt.

rob7233
10-12-2009, 12:39 AM
A Bed edger machines do this best but there is a lot of dirt created as the unit displaces it. Since you go down just an inch and you've done it more than once, I'd definitely use the BP blower at a lower setting and use the blower 'volume' (vs. speed) do disperse the dirt back up onto the lawn area.
That way, you'll have more control until you can blast the dirt away. BTW: There is a edger blade on this site that will help you to create those bedding areas. Just can't remember the name of it. They have a video of it in action, of their website.

ALC-GregH
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
So the edge your talking about is a flower bed/mulched bed? If so, rake the mulch back, hand cut a new edge, spread the dirt out into the bed and cover it with the mulch. After that it can be maintained with a trimmer.

hackitdown
10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
yes, essentially I have a flower bed meeting the lawn that does not have an edge, I have been cutting about 1 inch into the lawn to make a well defined trench like edge. The issue is that involves me moving a lot of dirt.

Yes, you will need to remove the dirt and grass. It is a lot of material. Rake it into piles, and put it into a wheelbarrow with shovels or by hand. If you spread the bits of grass back into the bed, even under the mulch, they will sprout up as weeds. If the turf is thick, sometimes it can be removed as a long strip, and tossed into the wheelbarrow. It is work.

93Chevy
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Get a trenchblade for your sidewalk edger. Works like a charm. It will define the edge in 1/2 time of somebody shovel-cutting an edge. Then maintain it with a trimmer.

NEWGUYRI
10-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone