PDA

View Full Version : ??price Square ft for lawn???

ncarterlawncare
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I am newly starting a landscaping business that I am not sure what to charge or rate the charge. A few of my jobs already I think I under bid myself. My question is how should I price this?

Screamin!
10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
This will be unhelpful, but - I use to work for a company back in college that charged every single job by the sq. ft.. Unfortunately, I forgot the math they used to get the price. I'll try to get a hold of my friend who still works there and see if he can tell me.

One thing I've done in the past when I was unsure of how to bid one was - get the sq. ft. and times it by .0025... It works on small town yards, but I'm unsure how it would do on a larger yard.

Lazer Cut
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Depends on your area, expenses, how much profit you want and how much you need to cover expenses...

A lot plays into this and I didnt learn that till it was me going under. Only 32 accounts but thats decent seeing I'm still in high school. I was charging to low and not covering my costs... at the end of the month I was wondering where the hell the money went?! did some figuring and my mower costs per hour and truck per mile and different things and next year i will be good to go on prices and hopefully i'll be able to get customers that actually pay decent. ($35-40 a pop.)

thats just my opinion

mowerbrad
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Pricing is a question that comes up alot. Before you can even price a job, you need to know your expenses (ie, insurance, fuel, depreciation, wear on equipment, etc.). Try to figure your expenses out to an hourly figure, that will be very helpful. Then figure out what you will want to profit. When you put that all together you will have the hourly rate you should be charging.

When you go to price a job, you should be trying to figure out about how long it will take you, then you can figure out what you should charge. It does take a little time and experience to get good at pricing, but it will all come with time. Usually with your first few jobs, you will price it a little low.

I price all mowing by the job. I take into account difficulty, trimming amount, terrain, etc., and then figure about how long I think it will take me. I will use my hourly rate as a guide.

ncarterlawncare
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks to all this info will be very helpful to consider and get going.

Jay Ray
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
You have to keep good records or you really won't know how much you are making.

And if you don't file a return and put your equipment on depreciation, you probably won't keep good records because it is tedious work.

sandman23
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I am $35.00 up to 4,000 and $1.66 per 1,000 after. I will adjust for difficulty.

SangerLawn
10-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Personally I think pricing be square foot is ******ed. Price by the time it take you to do. We have a few jobs that have areas 20-50 foot and only 2 foot wide that you have to use a trimmer to mow. Other places have wide open spaces to get big mowers in, some others have all kinds of obstacles that slow you down.

Price by the amount of time it will take you to do the job correctly.

deitleman
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Pricing is a question that comes up alot. Before you can even price a job, you need to know your expenses (ie, insurance, fuel, depreciation, wear on equipment, etc.). Try to figure your expenses out to an hourly figure, that will be very helpful. Then figure out what you will want to profit. When you put that all together you will have the hourly rate you should be charging.

When you go to price a job, you should be trying to figure out about how long it will take you, then you can figure out what you should charge. It does take a little time and experience to get good at pricing, but it will all come with time. Usually with your first few jobs, you will price it a little low.

I price all mowing by the job. I take into account difficulty, trimming amount, terrain, etc., and then figure about how long I think it will take me. I will use my hourly rate as a guide.

How do you figure a dollar amount per job for depreciation/wear on truck and equipment? What's a reasonable amount? From what I've heard from others, it seems $25/hr. is reasonable for your own labor as the owner, and 15% tacked on for profit. Does this sound right? Hope these questions help the original post too.