PDA

View Full Version : Dont get comfortable

JDSUZUKI
10-12-2009, 08:40 PM
My 6x12 trailer, exmark lct4818kc, tt52219kac, and metro 21 disappeared in the middle of the night. just goes to show you that you cant be lazy when you lock up your equipment. it was the first night that i had left my truck unhooked and on the other side to the driveway. I work for a power equipment company that sells exmark and hustler and have had other contractors especially as of late come in to get model and serial info for police reports. Sure was a real crappy and eye opening way to start a monday morning

Kutz Lawns
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that!

Did you have a lock on the trailer ball lock?

Damn, I never leave the trailer without something parked in front of it if it's unhitched!

puppypaws
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
My 6x12 trailer, exmark lct4818kc, tt52219kac, and metro 21 disappeared in the middle of the night. just goes to show you that you cant be lazy when you lock up your equipment. it was the first night that i had left my truck unhooked and on the other side to the driveway. I work for a power equipment company that sells exmark and hustler and have had other contractors especially as of late come in to get model and serial info for police reports. Sure was a real crappy and eye opening way to start a monday morning

They have been stealing lawn maintenance equipment in the Charlotte, NC and surrounding area like there is no tomorrow. They told me some dealers had sold more as replacements from mowers being stolen than normal sales. Maybe thieves are good for mower sales, but tough on insurance companies, and we all know the insurance companies aren't going to lose. I've heard of 6 and 8 new Exmarks being stolen from one lawn maintenance company, I don't know what insurance coverage they had if any; but it put one company out of business.

Cboy7
10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear JDsuzuki.

any advice for the rest of us on insurance?
hope you make it through this ok!

Funk'sTLC
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Really sorry to hear that!!! There are some crappy people out there to steal equipment that someone uses to feed a family....

was the equipment insured?

MOHUSTLER
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
That sucks real bad, Keep an eye on craigslist/ ebay for it. They will be trying to unload it quickly because people who steal crap are stupid. That is why they dont work hard for thier stuff like the rest of us.

lawnkingforever
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
People can say they live in a nice area and something like that would never happen, but they are fooling themselves, it can happen anywhere. I live in a decent area, but my equipment goes in one of my sheds or garage. It is never left out over night, even if I am mowing the next day. I always say plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Quick off topic story. I have had a CC permit for years and carry my a gun quite often for personal protection. My wife used to complain to me about it. Well one night we heard some noise coming from are basement. After getting our daughter from her bedroom, the first thing that came out of my wife's mouth was "Where is your gun?" The noise ended up being our cats. Needless to say the wife does not complain about my guns now. Crime can happen anywhere or anytime, you are right about not getting too comfortable. Hope you get your stuff back and the people responsible get arrested.

GraZHopA
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your lose! Being a victim of a theft sucks. Been there done that. Fortunately, we have only lost a couple of weedeaters and we now lock up everything that is not in use on the trailer while mowing. I hope you get your equipment back and the thieves get what they deserve!

puppypaws
10-13-2009, 09:02 PM
People can say they live in a nice area and something like that would never happen, but they are fooling themselves, it can happen anywhere. I live in a decent area, but my equipment goes in one of my sheds or garage. It is never left out over night, even if I am mowing the next day. I always say plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Quick off topic story. I have had a CC permit for years and carry my a gun quite often for personal protection. My wife used to complain to me about it. Well one night we heard some noise coming from are basement. After getting our daughter from her bedroom, the first thing that came out of my wife's mouth was "Where is your gun?" The noise ended up being our cats. Needless to say the wife does not complain about my guns now. Crime can happen anywhere or anytime, you are right about not getting too comfortable. Hope you get your stuff back and the people responsible get arrested.

You are a smart man, carrying not only for you and your families protection, but possibly for someone not able to protect themselves. I can say I feel the same as you, there may be one difference, I shoot to kill not wound, if I wound, I missed. It is much easier to defend yourself in a court of law against someone that cannot talk.

alf500series
10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
i feel your pain man. get on the phone and start calling every pawn shop in the area! that's where mine was trying to be sold the next day:my post in stolen equip.

my truck and trailer containing all my landscaping equipment was stolen in august. they broke out the window in the truck and hot wired it. they then proceeded to drive it off in the middle of the night. the next morning as i got ready to go to work i found the big surprise. later that night the truck was found burnt with all of the equipment gone out of the trailer and truck.
the biggest items were a snapper zero turn 50" mower, stihl br550 backpack blower, echo weed eater, lots of hand tools, irrigation fittings and supplies, the pocket bike i had in the bed of the truck and the side fairings from my motorcycle i was working on.
i think the fact that i am a full time fireman and do the landscaping on my days off helped in the situation. i know lots of people in this town who know a lot of people. i had a slot on the radio about the theft, the local helicopter pilots looking as they gave scenic tours, the ambulance drivers looking around the county,the pd(alot of help they were-HA!)a friend who has friends in low places-wink wink, etc. so i had alot of exposure over the situation.
the next day i found out from a friend, who's buddy owns a pawn shop in the area, that they tried to sell the stuff there. well, they never came in, but gave an address to where the mower was at so the pawn shop could look at it. i went to the location but-as i figured-it wasn't't there. so the cops have the number of the person who called it in to sell it and everything! but as u guessed NOTHING was done about it. so i did some investigating of my own. i kept casing the location of where the mower was supposed to be located at---let me say i fine quality neighborhood.
come to find out there is a 84 red and white gmc with a trailer hitch and trailer parked near the residence. i did some calling around. i had his plates ran and got background on him and his family(several different offenses on all of them) i then ran into the owner and his trashy friends at walmart a couple of nights later. they all had the look of--hey ---that's the guy right there. looking over their shoulders, out the sides of their eyes. not guilty at all.
since another guy's mom on my crew is a manager at walmart we went there the next day to talk to her about the person. low and behold we run into him again on the way in. we have his mom meet us in the front of the store to point him out and they put him on the list of shoplifters. the NEXT day one of his friends gets caught shoplifting!
well needless to say i still don't have any of my equipment back-except the trailer-and had to pay to get it out of the impound from being towed. wow that whole sit. is a story in itself. but a little justice was served to him a week ago. a friend of mine does repos. and guess who got their car reposed!!!!!! ha ha ha what goes around comes around.......

there is more to this story as well. if u would like to know , drop me a line.

chris

Keith
10-23-2009, 04:12 AM
I am pretty embarrassed to say it, but it happened to me as well. On October 14th I walked out of my house to find my F350, trailer, Super Z and quite a bit of equipment gone. I let down my damn guard, and it bit me in the ass. There is no need to tell me how to keep things secured, I am well aware of how to do it. I'm really not sure if I am more mad at the thieves who stole it, or myself.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday trying to locate my stuff, against all odds. I spent all weekend trying to get the Lazer in working order, but it would not cooperate. I bought a 6x10 trailer that my Ranger would tow and bought a new Super Z on Monday. It really sucks to have had everything paid off and to turn around start basically from scratch.

I have been in a fog for the past 9 days. I've had plenty of hand held stuff stolen over the years, but not once did I ever think they would get everything. We'll see how everything works out with insurance, but I know I am going to get beat up pretty badly on the truck.

Anyone looked into Lojack for big equipment like mowers? Any idea of the cost?

Hanau
10-23-2009, 04:42 AM
The problem with Lo Jack is that the cops need to find your equipment for you. The squad car needs to be equipped with the radio receiver.

Google search for real time GPS tracking, that's what you want. You want to be able to see where your equipment is right now. Cheaper systems record GPS waypoints and tell you where your stuff was when it comes back to you.

http://www.fleetmatics.com/Our-GPS-Tracking-System/Live-GPS-Vehicle-Tracking/Default.aspx

A system like that lets you see where your stuff is with Google maps. Heck you can even go to street view and get a feel for the hood your junk is in.

Once you locate your stuff load up some friends, some blunt instruments, and get your stuff back.

More sophisticated systems let you set a range for your stuff. It works like this, you come home and log in to your computer. Access your GPS tracking system and then you can set a perimeter that your vehicles can't leave. They leave the zone and they shut down. You could set it to 100 meters from your driveway if you wanted to. You could leave your truck outside, running. Thief jumps in, drives 100 meters from your driveway and the truck shuts down. You give chase and lay a beating.

There are tons of options and they're getting cheaper every year.

Hell Ford has crew chief telematics available as a factory option that gives you most of these capabilities.

Imagine this, you get up in the morning and your new F-350 is gone. Log into your computer and see it diving down the interstate. A few clicks of the mouse and it's shutdown. You call the highway patrol and they secure your rig.

Lo Jack is passe, it's like a fax machine. Who uses fax when email is faster, cheaper, and more convenient?

puppypaws
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
The problem with Lo Jack is that the cops need to find your equipment for you. The squad car needs to be equipped with the radio receiver.

Google search for real time GPS tracking, that's what you want. You want to be able to see where your equipment is right now. Cheaper systems record GPS waypoints and tell you where your stuff was when it comes back to you.

http://www.fleetmatics.com/Our-GPS-Tracking-System/Live-GPS-Vehicle-Tracking/Default.aspx

A system like that lets you see where your stuff is with Google maps. Heck you can even go to street view and get a feel for the hood your junk is in.

Once you locate your stuff load up some friends, some blunt instruments, and get your stuff back.

More sophisticated systems let you set a range for your stuff. It works like this, you come home and log in to your computer. Access your GPS tracking system and then you can set a perimeter that your vehicles can't leave. They leave the zone and they shut down. You could set it to 100 meters from your driveway if you wanted to. You could leave your truck outside, running. Thief jumps in, drives 100 meters from your driveway and the truck shuts down. You give chase and lay a beating.

There are tons of options and they're getting cheaper every year.

Hell Ford has crew chief telematics available as a factory option that gives you most of these capabilities.

Imagine this, you get up in the morning and your new F-350 is gone. Log into your computer and see it diving down the interstate. A few clicks of the mouse and it's shutdown. You call the highway patrol and they secure your rig.

Lo Jack is passe, it's like a fax machine. Who uses fax when email is faster, cheaper, and more convenient?

Very, very good advice, theft is only going to get worse with time.

alf500series
10-25-2009, 12:52 PM
this isn't gps equip able but you could use it on your equipment. and the price is right!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100671262&navFlow=3&keyword=ryobi%2Bmotion%2Bsensing%2Balarm&langId=-1&searchRedirect=ryobi+motion+sensing+alarm&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4026128133&ddkey=Search

puppypaws
10-25-2009, 01:14 PM
this isn't gps equip able but you could use it on your equipment. and the price is right!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100671262&navFlow=3&keyword=ryobi%2Bmotion%2Bsensing%2Balarm&langId=-1&searchRedirect=ryobi+motion+sensing+alarm&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4026128133&ddkey=Search

That is a very useful product, thank you for sharing this information. Thumbs Up

alf500series
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
im getting one for the house as well