PDA

View Full Version : Dying evergreens

thelawnguy
06-17-2000, 02:08 PM
Customers evergreens are dying. Two alberta spruce, three spreading junipers and a azalea. They are in a bed, bordered by the house on one side, driveway on another and an asphalt walkway on the other two sides. Southern exposure. All were planted around ten years ago. Customer claims the cedar mulch I installed march 99 is what killed them, my contention, last years drought and mild winter coupled with southern exposure dessicated them to the point of no return.<p>Any thoughts?<p>Bill

steven Bousquet
06-17-2000, 02:55 PM
sound like a nut job client. the ceder mulched killed the plants? where did she get that one from? i would ask her to explain it in writing to help you better understand. did you use ceder mulch at other properties? i would put her touch with the mulch company and she can blame them to, its there product. did all there clients have dead shrubs? i think you are correct but good luck with the nut job trying to explain it. so have her explain to you how it would kill the shrub and get the bark company involved its their product after all.<br>

FIREMAN
06-17-2000, 07:09 PM
I'M SURE YOUR IDEAS ARE MUCH MORE REALISTIC THAN THAT OF YOUR NUT JOB CUSTOMER...ASPHALT WALK WAYS...REFLECTING HEAT AND ALSO HEATING THE GROUND SURROUNDING THE BEDS.....DRY SUMMER SOUNDS LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE WATERED THEM...OR IS THAT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY ALSO??? LOL WE ALL KNOW HOW DANGEROUS MULCH IS FOR BEDS AND HOW CRAZY CUSTOMERS CAN BE..TELL HER TO GET A SECOND OPINION IF SHE DOESN'T BELIEVE YOU..TRY COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE..I'VE USED THEM A FEW TIMES TO PROVE A POINT TO A DISBELIEVING CUSTOMER..SOMETIMES ALL YOU NEED IS AN UNBIASED FACT BASED STATEMENT TO QUELL THE LUNNY CUSTOMER. IF YOU PROVIDE THIS NUT WITH THE PHONE # OF THIS AGENCY LOACAL TO YOU I'LL BET YOU GET A CALL FOR REPLACING THOSE PLANTS AND NEVER HEAR A WORD MORE ABOUT YOU KILLING THEM WITH MULCH...BY THE WAY ONE TIME<br>I HAD GUY TELL ME THE GRASS SEED I PLANTED IN HIS YARD KILLED HIS ELM TREE....OBVIOUSLY HAD DUTCH ELM DISEASE... HAD THE COUNTY SEND OUT A VOLUNTEER MASTER GARDNER AND HE AGRRED WITH MY DIAGNOSIS....NOT EVEN TWO HOURS LATER I GOT A CALL TO REMOVE THE DEAD TREE AND REPLACE IT AND THREE OTHERS LIKE IT.

Guido
06-17-2000, 07:09 PM
Hey bill, did you spray anything before you put the mulch down? Let us know what comes of this BS!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

mattingly
06-17-2000, 08:08 PM
Present this crazy hoot with the facts about mulch. Especially organic mulch. It prevents erosion, prevents weeds, retains moisture, allows for aesthetic pleasure, but unless you spread it on too darn thick, it doesn't kill shrubs. Mulch does have a tendency too leach Nitrogen from the ground but that is about it. Around here azealeas and rhododendrons are dying like crazy. These plants love moisture retentive, well drained soil, aka the drought killed them. The other bushes can be funny little boogers also. The junipers are very drought tolerant but if they have been neglected the drought was their final hoorah. Be nice, up front and emphatic about your position. Get her to explain in full detail how she thinks you caused this. Then present your information. Most of whats been said above and in this post. Then if she doesn't buy that tell her that if she can back up her claims with any kind of evidence/historical references/articles you'd be more than happy to look further into this and see what you can do. Kill her with kindness but don't give in. We aren't in the business to replace **** free of charge. When we get the size of Lowe's we will do it no problem.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

thelawnguy
06-18-2000, 06:54 AM
thanks for taking the time to comment. She's not asking for something for nothing. I just thought her theory was far-fetched and I dont like taking the heat for something I shouldnt. BTW it was the nursery who planted these shrubs who told her the mulch killed them. (More specifically, the employee who came by to extract them.)<p>Bill

Guido
06-18-2000, 10:21 AM
Bill, I think its time to go have a talk with the nursery manager and his employee. People are quick to point the finger when they might have to take a little heat. No respect man, I'd go try to make his life a little painfull for risking the loss of a customer. His boss probobly wouldn't be to happy either.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti