PDA

View Full Version : Is using a velky with a belt drive not good?

green-pa
10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
What are the drawbacks of using a velky or sulky on a walk behind that is beltdrivin? I was told at first that anyone under 180 lbs should be ok. However that a hydro would pull virtually anyone. I'm not that heavy but they are saying that my first transmission went out because belt drives are not meant to pull velkys ( after the fact). Cost me $500. At least I got 2 years out of it. But it's only been 2 months and it's already barely moving!!!

Toy2
10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
What are the drawbacks of using a velky or sulky on a walk behind that is beltdrivin? I was told at first that anyone under 180 lbs should be ok. However that a hydro would pull virtually anyone. I'm not that heavy but they are saying that my first transmission went out because belt drives are not meant to pull velkys ( after the fact). Cost me $500. At least I got 2 years out of it. But it's only been 2 months and it's already barely moving!!!My Toro belt drive started to do the same, I just adjusted the belt, it must have streched, I weigh 188, I put it in 5th and it will toss me on my can if I'm not careful.......Toro 36'' Kawi 13hp is a 05 model..I would say no it shoudn't screw up a tranny....IMO..
:usflag:

Jay Ray
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a 1993 Toro Proline 44, 4-speed, 12.5hp Kawi, and it will pull me (200 lbs.) and the heavy Toro self-steering sit down sulky with no problems.

For hills I have to put a little more adjustment on the t-bar, both sides, maybe 2 turns.

Yup, the tranny belt needs adjustment even after break-in. And it will reach a point where adjustment does not help -- replace.

I don't use it much anymore, but it is still on depreciation so I keep it.

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Ideally..if you have a choice...a belt isnt the best for sulkys. If your ground is flat and wide open...maybe. Your problem is common and will continue. They just werent made for it.

LewisLawn
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
if it is barely moving check the adjustment on the drive belt....i have gone through two tranny's on my belt drive avg life of tranny has been about 2/3 of what is expected without pulling velke.....also don't shift leave it in one gear and you'll prolong the life of the tranny if that is truly the problem....
500 bucks for the tranny seems a bit high...originally that was what the dealer quoted me including labor to replace final bill was 380...shop around for replacements

Jay Ray
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Not that hard to replace it yourself for around $200.

And over time you get to where you shift very little and almost never put it in reverse except to get it off the trailer.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
While i agree that a hydro is the best choice for using a sulky, your belt drive should do the job fine. What do you think we did before the hydros came out ? we used to cut our 140 + acre campground with gravely belt drive and sulky and none of our operators were under 200 lbs, and we didnt seem to have any problems then.

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
While i agree that a hydro is the best choice for using a sulky, your belt drive should do the job fine. What do you think we did before the hydros came out ? we used to cut our 140 + acre campground with gravely belt drive and sulky and none of our operators were under 200 lbs, and we didnt seem to have any problems then.

a little different then pulling from jon to job cutting 10-20k feet

hackitdown
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I cut lawns for 2 years on a 48" belt drive gravely WB with a sulky. I weigh 210 (ok...190 back then). Maybe put 500 hours on the machine. No problems.

Even if it caused problems, I'd gladly pay for repairs in exchange for riding the sulky and the greater productivity.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
a little different then pulling from jon to job cutting 10-20k feet

Different in what way ?

hackitdown
10-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Different in what way ?

No campers?

Kennedy Landscaping
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I had to get a new tranny on my gravely at the beginning of the year. It was warranty due to a crack that resulted from normal use. But they did be belts and all those good things so in the end it cost me like 300 bucks. But a free transmission is a good deal. But anyways mine pulls fine and in fifth it will about throw me off if I'm not paying attention. I've been running it forever it seems like on the new belts and everything and no problems. I'll be tightening my belts soon. Sounds to me like you may have a faulty transmission or bad belts because I have zero problems with mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

MileHigh
10-14-2009, 06:50 PM
One Word:

getadualhydro

ed2hess
10-14-2009, 10:20 PM
One Word:

getadualhydro

getfitforgetriding.

stevenf
10-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I have seen several people who shift while driving, or shift with there hand and then quickly grab the handle after the mower is moving. I see this all the time!!!! All you have to do is shift with your knee and you wont go spinning out of control because both hands will stay on the handles.
I think this is a major problem with transmissions going bad. I always shift into gear with my knee, and never shifts gears while the mower is moving.
I have had my scag wb for one season now. I use a two wheel swivle sulky. Most on this site said that the two wheel swivle wouldnt work with a belt drive but It hasnt caused me any problems what so ever. Only time belts have slipped is when I drove thru 8" of water at full speed and soaked the belts.

HOOLIE
10-16-2009, 12:34 AM

Was thinking the same thing...I was using Velkes back in the early 90's and I don't think hydro WB's were even on the market then, or at least they were pretty rare. So they definitely were designed to be used on a belt drive.

Not to say I walked 3 miles to school in the snow :laugh: but I remember when 48's often came with 12.5hp engines standard on them, now people think they need no less than 20-some hp to get the job done.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Was thinking the same thing...I was using Velkes back in the early 90's and I don't think hydro WB's were even on the market then, or at least they were pretty rare. So they definitely were designed to be used on a belt drive.

Not to say I walked 3 miles to school in the snow :laugh: but I remember when 48's often came with 12.5hp engines standard on them, now people think they need no less than 20-some hp to get the job done.

Very true, our gravely's had 12 hp Wisconsin cast iron motors with magneto's on them.