PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Fuel Gauge Leak

Ford850
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I have a GH deisel with the 8 gallon tank. The fuel gauge looks to be friction fit, pushed into the plastic tank from the top. It leaks a little around the gauge and creeps up over the top of the gauge, and since it is deisel it doesn't dry and collects dirt. When mowing hills, the fuel seeps out enough to cover the top of the tank.
Does anyone else have this problem? It's not a huge issue, more of a nuisance.

Mowingman
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
you do not say what model of Grasshopper you have. however, if it is one with a plastic tank, then the gauge has a rubber grommet that it goes through, and which fits tightly into the tank opening. You may need to replace the rubber grommet.

Ford850
10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
you do not say what model of Grasshopper you have. however, if it is one with a plastic tank, then the gauge has a rubber grommet that it goes through, and which fits tightly into the tank opening. You may need to replace the rubber grommet.
It's a 2008 722Dt6. It's done it since new, but I thought it might settle into place. It hasn't. The dealer says they have heard others complain but most just deal with it.
I just popped the gauge out after reading your description, and the grommet fits loose over the gauge while out. If I push the grommet into the tank, it fits tight. Then I pop the gauge into the grommet (which is difficult) and it is somewhat snug but I can still spin the gauge easily. I think it is leaking between the grommet and the gauge.

Mowingman
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, your leak is caused by either a slightly out-of-spec tank opening, or a bad grommet. I would suggest replacing the grommet with a new one. Warranty will cover that, if the machine is still in the warranty period.

Ford850
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks Mowingman. I'll pick up a new gasket the next time I'm at my dealer's shop.