PDA

View Full Version : Kohler fuel pump question

diggerdave65
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
hi guys-- hoping for some help on a Kohler fuel pump
Model M18QS
Spec 24696
Serial 2534004806
It quit running while in use - sort of came to a sputtering halt as if no fuel. I assumed it was the anti-dieseling solenoid again as it did this same sort of thing about 6 years ago. I replaced the solenoid and no go. A direct shot of gas dumped into the carb and she will start and run fine until that gas is used up. I was actually able to take a spare fuel tank that has a shut off valve, adjust it so there was a trickle of gas coming out of the hose and feed the hose into the carb. It fired right up and I was able to drive the skid loader out of the field and to the shop (several hundred yards). Remove the spare tank and it dies. All this leads me to now suspect the fuel pump. (Im pretty sure it is the manual kind). I havent had time to really tear into it, so how do I test the pump?? Do I just disconnect the line line at the carb and crank the engine - if no fuel is pumped then it is a bad pump?? The pump is fortunately located right on top of the engine behind the carb, so access does not appear to be a problem. How hard is it to change out?? thanks for any info. dave

GravelyNut
10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
hi guys-- hoping for some help on a Kohler fuel pump
Model M18QS
Spec 24696
Serial 2534004806
It quit running while in use - sort of came to a sputtering halt as if no fuel. I assumed it was the anti-dieseling solenoid again as it did this same sort of thing about 6 years ago. I replaced the solenoid and no go. A direct shot of gas dumped into the carb and she will start and run fine until that gas is used up. I was actually able to take a spare fuel tank that has a shut off valve, adjust it so there was a trickle of gas coming out of the hose and feed the hose into the carb. It fired right up and I was able to drive the skid loader out of the field and to the shop (several hundred yards). Remove the spare tank and it dies. All this leads me to now suspect the fuel pump. (Im pretty sure it is the manual kind). I havent had time to really tear into it, so how do I test the pump?? Do I just disconnect the line line at the carb and crank the engine - if no fuel is pumped then it is a bad pump?? The pump is fortunately located right on top of the engine behind the carb, so access does not appear to be a problem. How hard is it to change out?? thanks for any info. dave2 bolts are all that should hold it in. It should be a cam operated one. Take the line off the carb and see how much fuel comes out by running it into a jar while cranking. You can't get rebuild kits from Kohler so if it's bad, toss it and get a new one.
But I'd bet on a bad float valve on the carb first.