PDA

View Full Version : Supports for gated entrance , need help

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
We have built many stone entrances , but never one that was going to have gates attached to it. I have serveral ideas in mind, but I was wondering how you attach most gates to these entrances. We were planning to put a metal post down through the footer and run a cross piece out to the edge of the stone (like an "F" ). Then whoever installs the gates will have something metal to weld to.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
bump. Nobody build entrances but me?
Posted via Mobile Device

frumdig
10-17-2009, 12:48 AM
never built one myself, but ive seen them under construction... looks like they set a large metal square post... like a 4x4... post would be in the middle on one side.... the block around it... hard to describe

_____
|****|
|****[]
|****|

something like that... just give yourself enough room for your stone face or whatever it may be, so it will come out slighty under flush with the post...

-Evan

Lite4
10-17-2009, 08:45 AM
We have built many stone entrances , but never one that was going to have gates attached to it. I have serveral ideas in mind, but I was wondering how you attach most gates to these entrances. We were planning to put a metal post down through the footer and run a cross piece out to the edge of the stone (like an "F" ). Then whoever installs the gates will have something metal to weld to.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are exactly right in your thinking. We always used a very heavy steel pipe in the center, (like well casing). Then just like you area saying, use some very heavy square bar stock and weld it to the pipe. Now be sure to leave the bar sticking out a good 6" past your finish masonry work. Whoever is installing the gate will appreciate it. I am sure the gate will be custom made but check with the gate guys on the layout and dimensions of the hinge assemblies so you weld the attachment bars in the right place. Or better yet let them to all the steel work, you just put the steel casing in the ground.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I thought I was on the on the right track. Thanks for the replies
Posted via Mobile Device