PDA

View Full Version : Hate for Fords

THC
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
My engine light went on in my 96 ford ranger 4x4 4 litre, 6 cylinder. a couple weeks ago. It did sound a little little rough. So I was waiting for it to go off (hoping anyway) then it snowed and was very slippery. I go to put on 4x4 and all I hear is grinding and crunching.

Take it in. Turns out to be front bearing and the u-joint is falling apart. I tell them I had a complete brake job 5 months ago and they repacked the bearings and the truck has had less then 5,000 kms put on it since. So they give me half off the labour of the Bearings:rolleyes:

For the engine light they told me the performance test ($168) said 3 cycl was misfiring and they would check wires and spark plugs bla bla bla It will cost $1080:canadaflag:.

fine. Then they phone back. They said when the technician took out the plugs he found the 4th cycl was white, which indicates it's burning some coolant, and the 3rd cycl is oily which means it's burning oil.. Possible blown head gasket.

I tell them not to do that head gasket thing.. it's $650:canadaflag: just for labour and they may need to have the head machined:dizzy:

So ****! I'm pissed. This is a reputable shop btw, Canadian Tire.. chain store all across canada. Been going there with 3 vehicles for years.

So just this year, once this work gets done (not having the head gasket done) I will have sank over 2,000 bucks into a 96 ford ranger 6 cycl. 4x4.. somebody shoot me.

*on a side note. For months I thought the exhaust looked a tiny bit weird. I would ask myself why there is vapour coming out, it doesn't always happen I suppose I convince myself it was normal, like when the weather is cold. Oil level also seems to go down a more then I think it should, though it doesn't leak under the engine.. but there isn't a smell of burning oil and the inside of the exhaust pipes isn't exactly covered in soot...

Do think I'm going to have to get this damn gasket thing fixed to? I mean at what point to I just blow up this damn truck:mad: I will never buy a ford again.

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Soo...your mad about putting 2k into a 14 year old ranger with how many miles?

THC
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
175k kilometres. and I put over a grand in last year as well and if i get the head gasket replaced it will be probably be $800 more.

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Sounds pretty common to me. Some of them do run a while though. Hit or miss with Fords. I'm no fan of any truck in particular, however those Toyota 4runners tend to keep going no matter how bad they were abused. Im no expert, but isnt that about the limit for a well used ranger?

shepoutside
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Think Canadian Tire is the problem, not the truck.

SLR
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Yikes THC..whatever possesed you to have them as your main mechanic?
After yelling and nearly clobbering the guy for doing my wheel align saying,your gonna need your front bearings adjusted,only $50..$50 frigg'n dollars to tighten one nut per side a hair.Learn well to do ALL your own mech work,learn your hated Ford inside out!
When that engine light went on,i would of started by unplugging battery for an hour to reset computer.

Bigred350
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I would take it somewhere else. I would never let a tire shop tear half my motor apart.

loafycleetus
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
do it yourself, keep the monkeys out of it.

AI Inc
10-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Screw chain wrenchs , find a local privateer , one who would have steered you away from dumping the grand last yr.

Jamie James
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I worked at Canadian tire and I can say one thing, stay away from them................. they get paid for everything they do,,,,,, point system so there looking for work,,,,,,,,, :canadaflag:

laman
03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I have a 2008 chevy truck. It has been in the shop for three weeks lost compression on no. 4 cylinder. So chevy is no better than your ford...

360ci
03-20-2010, 11:54 PM
A trucks a truck. It's built to get abused.

Just a note to everyone my mileages listed below are ALL in kilometers.

I can say I've been lucky with my 5.9L Durango. 185,000 with about 30,000 of those HARD heavy towing miles, and about the same miles doing light towing jobs.

I'm rather up front with maintenance, plugs every 40K, transmission oil and filter change (NO flush) every 30K or two years, whichever comes first, 4x4 service every 50K or 3 years. I use Amsoil fluids, and some longer lasting products in places where I know I won't have to periodically worry about checking wear & tear on components.

The bottom line is this: A new 'truck' will easily cost you $5-8K a year should you decide to lease or finance vs buying it outright. Putting $1-2K a year into regular maintenance (yes, bearings, u-joints and such are considered reg maintenance as the miles pile on along with various sensors, etc) is far less than paying for a new vehicle, and as mentioned you don't know what other problems might come up. Sure, some things on a new vehicle will be covered under warranty, that's fine. The problem is getting and paying for a rental 'truck' to do the work you need a vehicle to do until your truck is back on the road, and that can get costly. Insurance can be your friend here as well with rental coverage should you decide that it's worth your while to fork over the couple extra hundred bucks a year.

Head gasket replacement isn't too difficult. What some people don't realize is that they can be taken to the cleaners here with a V6 or V8 engine. Generally one gasket goes, and the other is fine, meaning if you know which gasket is bad, leave the good one alone unless you have the time to change it out as well. Yes, it's best to change both at once as most shops will undoubtedly tell you they HAVE to do it that way. When in fact it's not necessary and there's no law saying you gotta change both head gaskets. if the 3rd cyl is on one side and the 4th is on the other, then you're outta luck of course. A tell take sign of a failed head gasket is when your oil turns into something that more or less resembles chocolate milk. You can also test with a propane torch with the vehicle at idle, if the rpms go up, you know there's a leak when you move the torch around the head.

Jay Ray
03-21-2010, 12:30 AM
There was a trick the old timers used in the 1920's, 30's an 40's for a bad head gasket or because antifreeze was so expensive (kerosene was cheap then).

They drained the cooling system and filled it with kerosene. Any that makes it past the head gasket will just be burned in the combustion chamber.

I drove an old Subaru that way for about 5000 miles.

But the heater had to be full blast in the summer to keep the engine cool.:laugh:

Also, don't get in a head-on crash.

unkownfl
03-21-2010, 01:45 AM
You took the truck in with a CEL on? Why didn't they throw the scanner on from the begging, pull the misfire code, check the plugs, and then compression check to verify the head gasket issue? By the way I would not take my vehicle to a place that sells fishing lures and fixes cars LOL.

LarryF
03-21-2010, 08:53 AM
You took the truck in with a CEL on? Why didn't they throw the scanner on from the begging, pull the misfire code, check the plugs, and then compression check to verify the head gasket issue? By the way I would not take my vehicle to a place that sells fishing lures and fixes cars LOL.

That was exactly my sentiment when my CEL lit up.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=299543

Cost me $50 for a scanner and a few bucks for parts to fix the problem. And now that I own the scanner, I'm set for life as far a future Check Engine Light situation is concerned. I don't understand why everyone doesn't look at it that way.

betmr
03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
14 years sounds pretty good, for a Ranger, to me. Some things in life don't last forever. Look for another truck, is your best bet. Comes a time when sinking money into an old thing is wasteful.

unkownfl
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Head gasket should have lasted as long as the engine. Must have used straight water or had old anti freeze in it. Unless, maybe another problem causing over heating.

360ci
03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Don't forget that running higher rpms, or putting the 'pedal down' on a regular basis can also contribute to premature head gasket failure. Alas, anything mad made will break, it's only a question of when.

unkownfl
03-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Don't forget that running higher rpms, or putting the 'pedal down' on a regular basis can also contribute to premature head gasket failure. Alas, anything mad made will break, it's only a question of when.

How do you figure? The compression doesn't increase? If your running higher rpms or getting on it other parts will fail before the head gasket. Timing or bad gas could lead to head gasket failure as well.

AI Inc
03-22-2010, 07:54 AM
14 years sounds pretty good, for a Ranger, to me. Some things in life don't last forever. Look for another truck, is your best bet. Comes a time when sinking money into an old thing is wasteful.

You got that right. I run em till about 10 yrs old and in the 180k range. This thread is like complaining grandma can no longer kick field goals from the fifty.