PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Truck - single to dual exhaust?

Darryl G
05-07-2002, 11:59 PM
I have an 85 Chevy K-20 pickup that is in need of an entire exhaust system (all original except muffler and tail pipe). It has the HD 350 engine, 4-barrel, 3 spd auto and 4:11 rear. A buddy of mine has the same truck and says that he got a lot more power and better fuel economy when he swithched to dual exhaust. If I'm going to do it, now would be the time.

Do you guys think it would be worth the extra cost? Will it really make a difference in performance and economy. The truck only has 73,000 miles on it and is in pretty good shape.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bob Minney
05-08-2002, 12:57 AM
I had it done on my 460-4b ford- I didn't notice any boost in performance or mileage but it sounded better. The guy doing it said same price for dual 3" opposed to single 3 1/2" , plus dual was easier for him so I went with it.

05-08-2002, 05:18 PM
To be honest with you, I don't know if the performance/fuel economy gain will be noticeable "from the driver's seat", I would suggest pricing the two options (single/dual exhaust) and see if there is a signifigant difference between the two.

Mykster
05-09-2002, 02:55 AM
I got dual exhaust on my Dodge. Do not see any difference in gas mileage.....but I also have 36" tires on it. It does give a little bit more boost at a higher RPM but, that's about it.

Are you going TRUE dual exhaust, or just dual from the muffler?

Darryl G
05-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Guys - Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like the benefit would not be that great and then I'd have two mufflers to worry about replacing down the road. This is not something I plan to do myself. I do minor repairs and send everything else to my mechanic. It has a few small leaks now, but from the looks of it it's just a matter of months before I drop the whole system. Not something I want to do in front of a customers house. The muffler and tail pipe are o.k., but don't know how well things will come apart.

Mykster - It's pretty much shot from the manifolds back. The Y pipe to the single exhaust is expensive. Actually, since the truck is pre-catalytic (1985), I can do about anything I want with the exhaust. Maybe I'll put stacks or side pipes on it instead!

Albemarle Lawn
05-12-2002, 12:41 AM
1985 pre converter? Try 1972.

Be careful if you have inspections, etc, you may be in for a converter, which will cost more to install later.

Darryl G
05-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Albemarle - Never was a catalytic converter and never will be one on my truck. It's been through motor vehicle inspection and emissions with no problem. I believe they put them on the lighter duty trucks first. Mine is the 3/4 ton with the HD 350 engine (M series I believe). Manufactured in Canada.