PDA

View Full Version : How to get client's?

Slcareco
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I sent out 150 flyers and business cards to actual address stamped and all last Wednesday and still nothing? It was targeted for Core Aeration but listed all the services I offered.

My question is what is the best type of advertising to get the best return of calls? I'm looking to selectively pick the clients from the towns I want to do work for, not looking to do anything less then what I'm worth.

Is it worth the money to mail out 1,000 mailings this time to addresses?

Thanks

punt66
10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I sent out 150 flyers and business cards to actual address stamped and all last Wednesday and still nothing? It was targeted for Core Aeration but listed all the services I offered.

My question is what is the best type of advertising to get the best return of calls? I'm looking to selectively pick the clients from the towns I want to do work for, not looking to do anything less then what I'm worth.

Is it worth the money to mail out 1,000 mailings this time to addresses?

Thanks
small local newspaper has always worked the best for me.

Slcareco
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Good idea, whats that costing you?

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
You might want to advertise aerations BEFORE its time to do them..........like back in August.

Slcareco
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
yeah I was a little late but you can do it until Novemeber

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
You have to coincide your marketing with the times that customers are "HOT" on something. Watch next spring for the timing of the Scotts commercials. It will seem a little late

Slcareco
10-13-2009, 11:53 PM
What kind of teasers do you use or think is good? Like Free mowing with signed contracts stuff like that?

Hanau
10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Network, network, network, and network some more.

Johnny and Suzy Homeowner want to buy from someone they know.

Get involved with your community.

I get $100K worth of business every year by networking through the American Legion and the VFW.

Get involved with something. Sponsor a little league team.

Every year I donate two residential lawns to the Veterans Club for them to raffle off. They sell tickets for six months solid. Everyone that buys a ticket is a potential customer. They were interested enough to spend $10 on a ticket right? In exchange for the lawns I get the mailing list. That mailing list is gold. HO's who care about their property and are of the mindset to support Veterans. I target them with mailings and get a ton of work this way.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a small business is doing the same thing. Set yourself apart from the pack.

Get your truck and trailer in parades, round ups, and community day events.

Get a booth at a home show.

Get your companies name in the paper because you sponsored a youth sports team, or gave a disadvantaged kid money for college.

Build a positive image of your company in the community.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I get a better return from the newspaper than I do my flyers most of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

I get $100K worth of business every year by networking through the American Legion and the VFW.

Every year I donate two residential lawns to the Veterans Club for them to raffle off. They sell tickets for six months solid. Everyone that buys a ticket is a potential customer. They were interested enough to spend $10 on a ticket right? In exchange for the lawns I get the mailing list. That mailing list is gold. HO's who care about their property and are of the mindset to support Veterans. I target them with mailings and get a ton of work this way.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a small business is doing the same thing. Set yourself apart from the pack.

Get your companies name in the paper because you sponsored a youth sports team, or gave a disadvantaged kid money for college.

I couldn't agree more. Get your company out into the community. I've done parades and sponsored a few sport events. Just by me going to the high school football games I get business. People talk.

Hanau
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
It takes work to do all that, a lot of it. It takes a lot of time as well.

I think a lot of business owners are looking for an easy answer. Sorry, don't have one for you.

It takes more than passive advertising (newspapers, fliers, postcards, door hangers, etc.) to make my phone ring. It takes work. Whether it's buying a booth for the Girl Scouts to sell cookies at the fair (I hang a banner on the booth and everyone that buys cookies gets a refrigerator magnet) or bringing trucks, trailers, and trash bags to the community park clean up every spring.

Know what people read in newspapers? Articles. Get good press about your company.

"Bob's Lawn & Landscape handled the logistics on removing 10 tons of trash from Paradise Creek Park"

That's advertising gold! Especially when they read the article and find out my company did it for free!

It's more work than sitting on the computer firing off a Vista Print postcard campaign.

1st class grass
10-14-2009, 10:47 PM
It takes work to do all that, a lot of it. It takes a lot of time as well.

I think a lot of business owners are looking for an easy answer. Sorry, don't have one for you.

It takes more than passive advertising (newspapers, fliers, postcards, door hangers, etc.) to make my phone ring. It takes work. Whether it's buying a booth for the Girl Scouts to sell cookies at the fair (I hang a banner on the booth and everyone that buys cookies gets a refrigerator magnet) or bringing trucks, trailers, and trash bags to the community park clean up every spring.

Know what people read in newspapers? Articles. Get good press about your company.

"Bob's Lawn & Landscape handled the logistics on removing 10 tons of trash from Paradise Creek Park"

That's advertising gold! Especially when they read the article and find out my company did it for free!

It's more work than sitting on the computer firing off a Vista Print postcard campaign.

NICE post!!!:clapping::clapping:

Slcareco
10-14-2009, 10:50 PM
hanau you on AIM or Yahoo that we can chit chat a bit??

LawnPro19
10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
honestly and this is just my opinion...WORD OF MOUTH and i truly believe that is the only form of advertising, you know why? because the only thing you can control is how hard you work and believe me people notice that, so stop wasting money on these flyers and door hangers and go out to the accounts that you do have and spend a little extra time on then keep then in top shape keep a smile on your face and i promise people will notice and word of mouth will spread!! goodluck

Slcareco
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM
keep in mind I have NOOOO accounts im BRAND NEW

1st class grass
10-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah word of mouth doesnt work in his case.....150 flers isnt much either...Some guys send 5 to 10 thousand...

Hanau
10-15-2009, 12:13 AM

Where do you go during the day?

Are you a veteran? If so what veterans groups are you a member of?

What is your ground zero for networking?

Where are you going to start?

What's going on in your community that's high profile that you could be involved in?

rm25x
10-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Some good ideas in this thread, thank you Hanau.

punt66
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM

I never networked. I recieved all my accounts from the local paper and word of mouth. It did not happen overnight though. At first you have to take whatever you can get and slowly weed out the pitas and continue to grow the good ones. Then as you gain accounts you start to tighten routes and target the more profitable accounts. I am at the point where i no longer advertise and have a list of good payers. All are withing 7 minutes from my home. When i started i put 6 week adds for each change of season for 2 years in a row and have not advertised since. For example, 3/1 i put a six week add in for spring cleanups and mowing. Then in 9/1 i put a six week add in for fall cleanups and snow plowing. Repeat again for the next year. You can get creative by offering 2 free cuts if they get a neighbor or family member to sign on. I never tried that but its worth it if it works. You need to be reliable and do good work and your turn around will be low. The only customers i lost were from moving.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
10-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Good info again !! I donate free lawn care for 1 local deployed military member each year.

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Guess I should have explained myself a bit more....

I'm 23, I have over 8 years of experience in the industry from design, install and maintenance. I have a 2 year degree in Ornamental Horticulture: Landscape Develp which I graduated with a 4.0 and best in my class. Im a Certified Nursery Landscape Proffessional passing the test with a 93. I have the experience, the education and I'm tired of working for someone.

So I'm ready to go on my own for the first time. I'm looking to selectively do work in high end towns and just looking for a smart way to advertise myself being new to owning a business.

Im not looking to sponsor a town team to start, or pick up trash to get clients, seems more like a repitable company who has time like that would do to better there name. I'm looking to just get a few accounts and build from there through hard work, professionalism, EDUCATION which alot of joe blows lack around my town. I mean I hear guys telling clients "oh thatch is cause from not collecting the grass or because your not fertilizing enough" pure stupidity.

I appreciate all the info for sure, deff some good things to think about.

punt66
10-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Guess I should have explained myself a bit more....

I'm 23, I have over 8 years of experience in the industry from design, install and maintenance. I have a 2 year degree in Ornamental Horticulture: Landscape Develp which I graduated with a 4.0 and best in my class. Im a Certified Nursery Landscape Proffessional passing the test with a 93. I have the experience, the education and I'm tired of working for someone.

So I'm ready to go on my own for the first time. I'm looking to selectively do work in high end towns and just looking for a smart way to advertise myself being new to owning a business.

Im not looking to sponsor a town team to start, or pick up trash to get clients, seems more like a repitable company who has time like that would do to better there name. I'm looking to just get a few accounts and build from there through hard work, professionalism, EDUCATION which alot of joe blows lack around my town. I mean I hear guys telling clients "oh thatch is cause from not collecting the grass or because your not fertilizing enough" pure stupidity.

I appreciate all the info for sure, deff some good things to think about.

In this business its a numbers game. You will not do well on just a few accounts and if you put all your eggs in 1 basket and the basket cancels then you wont have any more eggs. I get your ambition in the industry but you need to make a living. If you want only high end work i suggest doing design only.

ZKSLAWN
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
lots of word of mouth works for me.. i just picked up a customer a couple weeks ago and he just found me about 5 or 6 new ones.

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Well I plan on doing design, install and maintain.... I was thinking of making a flyer that offered a few discounts kind of like Lawn Doctor offers. 1. A low price for the first mow sayyy $24.99 2. 5% pre payment discount 3. $25 off for refferals and $25 gift for referring. 4. 10% Any service or maybe 10% off all signed agreements by a certain date?

What do you guys think? Any other good ones that have worked? Or suggestions about the ones I have picked?

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
In this business its a numbers game. You will not do well on just a few accounts and if you put all your eggs in 1 basket and the basket cancels then you wont have any more eggs. I get your ambition in the industry but you need to make a living. If you want only high end work i suggest doing design only.

Well numbers will only go up as time goes by when you do the right thing by your clients right? And there is a tonnnnn of numbers to get in high end on long island, town after town. High end being half mil houses and up which on LI isnt too big considering the price but deff a good town to be in.

punt66
10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Well numbers will only go up as time goes by when you do the right thing by your clients right? And there is a tonnnnn of numbers to get in high end on long island, town after town. High end being half mil houses and up which on LI isnt too big considering the price but deff a good town to be in.
well i service high end here. I am in one of the wealthiest towns in CT which is the wealthiest state in the US. $25 a cut?????? Wealthy people dont care about discounts and other nonsence. You will just get price shoppers. You have a learning curve to get through.

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Well what are your suggestions then? How do you attract high end as a beginner? and the $25 would be for the first cut up to 5,000 sqft for NEW clients

punt66
10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Well what are your suggestions then? How do you attract high end as a beginner? and the $25 would be for the first cut up to 5,000 sqft for NEW clients

if you offer those discounts like that you will just get price shoppers. Offer a referal discount only. You need to have a minimum. Mine is $35 a cut. Even if its a 9 minute lawn its $35. I see alot of young guys want to go after high end but the real money is in the small mow, blow, and go properties where the home owner doesnt really care and just doesnt want to do it. High end properties require more work and are picky. They will use you and drop you at the first sign of a small issue. In reality they used that issue to hire somebody cheaper who offered the first cut for $25. But alot of this you will learn from experience.

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Hmm what about offering a free mow, or discount for yearly signed agreements?

punt66
10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Hmm what about offering a free mow, or discount for yearly signed agreements?
I have never done that so i cant say how it would work. Since i have been in business i have yet to offer a discount to anybody. If it were me, i would only offer a free mow if they landed me a referal. It takes time to build a good client base. But once you have one and dont have to advertise any longer it gets much easier. You wont be spending your extra time driving around giving estimates. If your pricing your extimates correctly you should only land like 2 out of 10 estimates. I do not use contracts with my clients and do not want to unless its a commercial property.

Slcareco
10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
appreciate the help, Ill do the refer a friend, family, neighbor with $25 off for the referred and a 25$ gift for the one who did the referring like a $25 visa card or something

punt66
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
appreciate the help, Ill do the refer a friend, family, neighbor with $25 off for the referred and a 25$ gift for the one who did the referring like a $25 visa card or something
Make it easier and just give a free mow.

Florida Gardener
10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
i agree with punt. if you start offering freebies, you will mainly attract price shoppers. I ONLY throw a bone to my best customers meaning the one's who consistently give me extra work aside from maintenance. I don't reduce prices, but prob my best customer, i went over one day and cleaned his garage for him. Took me about an hour or so, but i didnt use any of my equipment and he appreciated it. This guy is giving me extra work every month.

Here is my take on the customers you want. You want people that will give you extra work aside from maintenance and people who obviously aren't cheap. In my experience, the mow blow go's dont give you extra work. Yea, they aren't picky, but you rarely upsell them. You want people with money and people that care about their yards. Some of these people are cheap, but i personally think most will turn out to be good customers. I knew this guy that has all high end neighborhoods and most had him doing annuals/mulching 1-2 times a year/landscape design and installs/fert. etc.

Slcareco
10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Well I've been doing some ad/market research and I've read you need some kind of teaser, and honestly who ISNT a shopper? You buy the first drill you see? No you shop around do a little research and price searching and then buy it. So whats wrong with giving a new client a deal especially in this economy. Im offering 3 offers on my add which cant be combined with one another. The Free Mowing is only applicable with an annual agreement, the referral coupon with 25 off and a 25 gift for the person who did the referring only works if the person referred signs up with an annual maintenance program. Last one is 10% off any service

punt66
10-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Well I've been doing some ad/market research and I've read you need some kind of teaser, and honestly who ISNT a shopper? You buy the first drill you see? No you shop around do a little research and price searching and then buy it. So whats wrong with giving a new client a deal especially in this economy. Im offering 3 offers on my add which cant be combined with one another. The Free Mowing is only applicable with an annual agreement, the referral coupon with 25 off and a 25 gift for the person who did the referring only works if the person referred signs up with an annual maintenance program. Last one is 10% off any service

not using a teaser worked for me. What your going to get are price shoppers and you will be spending a ton of time with estimates that do not lead to sales. No i buy the best drill for my needs. Let us know how it works out for you and not just responses but sales as well. Hope you do well.

zturncutter
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Gimmicks, Gimmicks, Gimmicks. You have already been given some of the best advice you will find and you don"t seem to want to use it. If anyone has the time to network it would be someone starting a business. When you network you do not need to gimmick. When you become involved in your community people call you and just tell you to do the work. This is the most profitable way to operate. :hammerhead:

Slcareco
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
I just cant see networking a line of bull when I have 0 clientele to show for it in the begining stages. I'm not saying any of the advice is bad its all very good and deff something to keep in mind with when I get past the begining stages. I plan to get my name out there and be all over, guess I have to start some where.

tinman
10-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Read guerilla marketing. good start. Cheap classified ad if available in your area. Tell everyone you know that you are business. It is hard to network if you are not a people person (I am not). But you can do some networking online. join a discussion group on gardening or something but be helpful and don't spam the members. Take actions that you think will work. Go to walmart and get 10 bouquets of roses ($10 each here). Then take the flowers to 10 beauty salons with your cards. Those ladies love to talk. So I think they will mention your name for a week or so. Good luck to you

Slcareco
10-17-2009, 10:20 PM
haha I love it! Might even land a sexy date too! =P

Chilehead
10-17-2009, 10:34 PM
150 isn't nearly enough. 5000? You're just starting to get a few 10000? Now you're talking. You may want to target some specific zip codes with a bulk mailer.

Florida Gardener
10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
im getting ready to do another direct mailout novemeber 1 in a few select high end neighborhoods. It's funny, i was in one of them on a referral and the company this lady has(who she will be firing b/c she has to replace a lot of the sod b/c of them) is doing a pretty lousy job. in fact, a lot of the lco's in this hood do pretty bad work. You would think an upscale neighborhood like that would have top quality work. my point is, if you do a good job,are professional, have the knowledge, and have a good relationship with the customer, you will never be short of work. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience and im sure that will help you a lot. good luck.

OrangeToys
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
some great ideas guys!

Slcareco
10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
150 isn't nearly enough. 5000? You're just starting to get a few 10000? Now you're talking. You may want to target some specific zip codes with a bulk mailer.

Hey about bulk mailing.... is there an easier way of doing things then driving around towns and getting numbers and confirming zip codes on zillow or google?

Slcareco
10-18-2009, 11:27 AM
im getting ready to do another direct mailout novemeber 1 in a few select high end neighborhoods. It's funny, i was in one of them on a referral and the company this lady has(who she will be firing b/c she has to replace a lot of the sod b/c of them) is doing a pretty lousy job. in fact, a lot of the lco's in this hood do pretty bad work. You would think an upscale neighborhood like that would have top quality work. my point is, if you do a good job,are professional, have the knowledge, and have a good relationship with the customer, you will never be short of work. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience and im sure that will help you a lot. good luck.

Thanks man I appreciate it! I just need that one gateway client and I'll be set =) I mean not only to have a degree in the industry but to go the extra yard and become certified should be great marketing tools for me. I made brochures which explain myself my mission and describe my services but to print out 5,000 is insanely expensive and can't afford that, any suggestions on how to explain myself in a cheaper fashion, maybe a cover letter with my flyer like scotts does? I feel like if they see a letter its immediate disposal

EcoGreen Services
10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
well i service high end here. I am in one of the wealthiest towns in CT which is the wealthiest state in the US. $25 a cut?????? Wealthy people dont care about discounts and other nonsence. You will just get price shoppers. You have a learning curve to get through.

I agree wholeheartedly with Punt, In my area there are a lot of $1,000,000 plus homes and many very expensive vacation estates.. We are among the most expensive in the area and 80% of our new business is from word of mouth.

With Wealthy customers low price can sometimes be a detriment. they equate low price to low quality. The Average size of these lawns is 2+ acres, I'm almost embarrassed to say what they pay. There primary concern is their home looks straight out of Homes & Gardens Magazine when they pull in. Not Price. They take great pride in their homes and will give glowing recommendations to their wealthy friends IF you do exceptional work.

We also do a lot of in town homes, Smaller lawns, very close together. In one area we started with 8 homes, we now do 92 in that subdivision without reloading the trailer. The backyards are accessible. One 2 man crew does it in a day. We do those areas on a monthly fee (plus Product) Basis. In that area it works out to about $25 per cut. So in that subdivision alone generates $2300 revenue in one day or about $9200 a month and it started with 8 homes.

Get a few homes in a subdivision, Do Exceptional work. When the neighbors see the properties you do are the best looking in the neighborhood, the call will come.

We also stick one of those clear plastic brochure holders with a magnetic back on them with trifold brochures on the trucks so any neighbor walking by can grab one.

Small Local Papers are good if they are distributed in your area of operation, No point in advertising to customers 50 miles away that you can't service productively.

Our whole family are very involved in the community, I sponsor a kids soccer team. The goodwill that creates is far greater than the $300 a year it costs.
We have a Baseball League that has a lot of kids of wealthy parents, we cut their small baseball diamond for free. Since a crew in in the area anyways the 72" Ferris can do it in less than a 1/2 hour. I put a couple of signs of the fences so anyone at a the field know we maintain the field as a donation to the league. The amount of work that came from that is tremendous for a 2 hour a month investment.

Always remember, Quality Work says volumes, Results Speak .

Look Professional, All my staff wear uniform golf shirts, caps and clean pants. Make sure the trucks are clean. Around here most don't want "Bubba" in his 30 year old rusty truck.. If your truck is old, look into getting it "Wrapped" Makes for great mobile advertising.

There's no secret to building a business, Just hard work, good decision making, Pride in your work & and more hard work.

And most importantly.
And People do business with people they like.

Just my 2 cents.

Slcareco
10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
So what would be a good teaser to a high end client?

punt66
10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
So what would be a good teaser to a high end client?

a high end client wants to see what you can do. Just get out there and work. Establish yourself. After you get some knowledge and good equipment then target those neighborhoods. It takes more then a degree.

sproston lawn care
10-19-2009, 03:02 AM
when is the best time to put in a add in the newspaper for the 2010 year any help

punt66
10-19-2009, 06:33 AM
when is the best time to put in a add in the newspaper for the 2010 year any help
here in ct i would put a 12 week add in 3/1. If i put a 6 week add in i would put it in 3/15.

Chilehead
10-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey about bulk mailing.... is there an easier way of doing things then driving around towns and getting numbers and confirming zip codes on zillow or google?

Most paper road maps contain zip codes. You can also get this info from Wikipedia.

g21
10-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Honesty,
After 30 years in the business, I can tell you that very few advertising campaigns have ever worked. Nothing beats personally going into local businesses and introducing yourself and ask for the work.

Networking is very important. The local Chamber of Commerce and groups like that are very beneficial but only if you fully utilize them. If you give the chamber 300 bucks for a membership and don't go to the breakfasts and talk to members, it's a waste of time and money.

Invest in some professionally designed custom business cards and pound the pavement.

If you do choose to advertise, sometimes going into the Pennysaver-type papers with some sort of coupon can be effective. At least the coupon will allow you to track the success of the ad.

Good luck. If you need help with any aspect of the business, do not hesitate to ask.

Tommy

Rowdy74x
10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Lots of good info given here, I agree with a lot of it. Patience, and determination are two virtues you need to have. The customers will not just knock your door down. You have to knock their door down! I have found that mailing information to potential customers is the biggest waste of time and money. If you have any money to invest in advertising, use it for local area advertising where you want to target your potential customers. Our county has a phonebook, a weekly newspaper, and a monthly digest mailed to all of the addresses in the county. I use all of these for my business. It does get pricey, but being new you need exposure. We have a chamber of commerce, a county website, and many, many opportunities here with festivals and civil organizations to showcase my business, and I use all of the things to market my business. I will be hiring a salesman in the spring, since I am not comfortable with the soliciting of my business. In my opinion door to door, face to face soliciting is a very good way to get customers. The customer can actually meet a representitive from the company and actuallly be informed of what you are selling. If you can do this yourself, you can probably be even more successful since the customeris meeting the business owner. Determination- dont give up, there will be hard times, and you will want to give up. Dont give up. Control your overhead expenses, a very big reason a lot of companies go out of business. I hope I could be helpful.

chris@perfectlawncare
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM

I have had success with, dare I say the name - craigslist, and paper advertising on mailboxes. Granted, craigs is slow and paper advertising is fairly time intensive, but you will grow quickly after that.

You could also pair with a local repair shop... cut their grass for free and have them recommend you... just an idea.

Slcareco
10-24-2009, 07:25 PM
good ideas guys I like them alot... btw those 150 flyers I mailed I have one estimate from it. Will see what happens

Tom3982s
10-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Small papers, Craigslist, etc...

Slcareco
10-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I got the job might get mor eout of him for the new season maybe a cleanup will see

S L C
10-29-2009, 11:51 PM
You might want to advertise aerations BEFORE its time to do them..........like back in August.

LMAO :sleeping::sleeping::drinkup:

green grass lawn care
10-30-2009, 02:01 AM
but you can expect about 1-2 percent from fliers and mailings. i have put out and knocked about 200 fliers adn doors since july in toward the end of a really bad 2 year long drought in texas and now have 18 customers to show for it. and probably 4 of those were networking and word of mouth. good luck. vince

EcoGreen Services
10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
One VERY Effective thing I forgot to mention is if you are in a area with new subdivision talk to the builders sales reps, Give them business cards, postcards and flyers. Offer them a 3%-5% commission for the first year for any customers they send your way. Keeping a eye on town council minutes will keep you on top of who is going to be building. In my area a new 492 home project has been approved. I guarantee you I'll be in talking to them the first day the sales office is open.

Again, It's Networking.

Anyone who thinks placing a Ad then waiting for the business to roll in is sadly mistaken. That being said, A $12 a week small ad square in the services directory of a local community newspaper is very good value.

This is what mine looks like. Simple, Basic and to the point.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks man I appreciate it! I just need that one gateway client and I'll be set =) I mean not only to have a degree in the industry but to go the extra yard and become certified should be great marketing tools for me. I made brochures which explain myself my mission and describe my services but to print out 5,000 is insanely expensive and can't afford that, any suggestions on how to explain myself in a cheaper fashion, maybe a cover letter with my flyer like scotts does? I feel like if they see a letter its immediate disposal

I think national statistic for fliers is 1-2% out of that 2% of calls if you land half as new customers , consider it good. 1000 flyers 10-20 calls, after you weed out tirekickers, priceshoppers cheapscates you should be able to close 5-7
now salesmanship is what counts
I had an employee that always counted my money and how much my wife spend, after 2 month he wanted more and more.
he started his own business now and really is getting a taste how hard it is to get clientelle going. More then few people told me that it takes about good solid 3 years of hustling, to start feeling the payoff, where you choose who you work for , not who wants to hire you.
If you want cheapest fliers made, here is how I did when I started.
Make a original flyer. Simple but make it stand out. Don't put down so much of what you do or what qualifications you have, get them interested in what is for them.
Why they should hire you out of 5000 lcos. I wouldn't talk to much about you start starting out, I would say I have been pationate about this industry for x amount of years.
Go to fed ex kinkos make 8x11 sheet 4 times smaller and you can cut 4 flyers out of one.
Cost of one paper copy is 0.06c divide by 4 = 0.015. BAM can you beat that?
You can make flyers that will cost you up to $2.00 @ 1000 copies you are @20000 k
when you see customer throw you flier in front of you you will laught, but when it is 2.00 it is different story
in my opinion your best way to get clients is door to door.
Drive around and see which property you d like to landscape or modify. Then target that client and do not leave him alone till he tells you not to come back.
You need to practice and get comfortable, after you get comfortable you will sell at ease with out desperation.
Do your yard and talk to your neighbours, tell them you are starting out and their money spend on you will be best money they will ever spend.
Do not, do not pick anythin up that you are unshure about, or bigger then 5 days worth of work.
Do some small beds, modifications.
Stay away from builders. At least while you get your feet wet.
They smell greenhorns.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEWGUYRI
12-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Word of mouth, postcards, custom letters. These have been very sucessful for me to get high income residentials.