PDA

View Full Version : Oil Question

mowerman41
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a problem that I can not figure out. I did an oil change on my 48 Turf Tracer with a 17hp Kaw. I always check my oil level everyday. I noticed that on the dipstick the oil level was right where it was supposed to be, but the mower sits overnight and I check the oil level in the morning and the level is barely on the dipstick I look around and underneath the mower and there is NO oil found leaking or on the ground, so I add enough oil to bring it up to the proper level. Can some please tell me where the oil is going or why it would be doing this, this might sound stupid but this problem has me baffled. Thanks for any help :confused:

CJonesLawnTree
10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
does this happen every night? I would assume the engine is burning it during use and releasing whats left in the exhaust...has exhaust been smoky or noticeably different than used to be?

mowerman41
10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
only smokes for about 2 seconds when it starts. But the oil level will be fine at night, and the mower will sit in the garage overnight and I check the oil level in the morning and it is down. That is why I don't understand where it is going, because the mower is just sitting in the gargage overnight and not running and I don't see any oil on the floor and leaking from anywhere????

ed2hess
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I hate that dipstick it is the worst....guy on here suggested painting it black and that does help a little. I can tell you.....get that unit in to have a full blown check of the engine. I had same situation and one day the engine blew. ...1700hrs.