PDA

View Full Version : oil in exhaust

dallaspaco
10-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a craftsman push mower with a tecumseh centura engine on it.The float went bad so then gas mixed in with my oil.I replaced the float and tipped the mower over and drained the oil/gas mixture out.When I started the mower white smoke came out of the exhaust.I thougth that it may have a little of the old oil/gas mixture left in it somehow,so I let it run for about 5 minutes.The smoke would go away for a little while then come back.Finally I shut it off so as to not damage the engine.When I took a closer look, on the deck seemed to be some oil from the exhaust.What do ya think will the smoke finally go away or what could be messed up?thank you

Restrorob
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
The muffler still has oil/fuel mix puddled in the bottom, Twenty/thirty minutes of run time should cook it all out..... Doesn't sound like anything major.

dallaspaco
10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
thanks for your reply,restrorob,I started it up again and it was still doing the same thing so I decided to look at the air filter.As soon as I took the air filter off it started running perfect.I looked at the air filter and it was soked with oil.I put another air filter on it and it soaked that air filter with oil too and started to run poorly.What can be making the oil back up into my filter...Thanks

Restrorob
10-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Post the engine model numbers so I can see exactly what you have.

dallaspaco
10-16-2009, 10:59 PM
stp 185u1g1ra

dallaspaco
10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I decided to check the head gasket and found that my cylinder wall was scored badly.It looked like it was letting oil go by which I think could have caused some of my problems.Either way this engine will now be for parts,thanks again for your effort