PDA

View Full Version : Measuring

CWheeler
10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I am wondering how everyone is measuring the rooflines. Is there a way to measure without getting on the roof? (for a gabled roof) Do yall just get a straight linear measurement and go off of that? I have read back through 4 years of post on here and haven't seen anything on this. Any help would be much appreciated!

David Gretzmier
10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I use an 18 inch measuring wheel and it goes like this. I only do perimeiters, not ridges or valleys, so I just follow the perimeter on gutters or straights. on peaks, I look at the pitch and make a judgement call. if it is a low, easy walking roof pitch, I run my wheel on the bottom of the peak like it was a straight, and then double back and add 1/2 of the length of that straight. If the peak is closer to an equalateral triangle, or equal on all three sides, I double the bottom leg. really high pitches like norway-swedish type homes get a triple on the bottom. I do the same with dormers and cutbacks, I just draw out where I put lights on the ground with my wheel.

hotrod1965
10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I take a picture and use holidaysoft. It has done well for me on most roof lines.