PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms every week

cphillips0053
10-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I have an account that mushrooms keep growing in the same spot every week. Turns out, there was a tree there once upon a time. It was cut down and stump ground.

What are my attack options for this?

JB1
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
they usually take care of themselves

cphillips0053
10-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Its been going strong for over a year now.

Monroe74
10-14-2009, 12:09 AM
at this time there is no "cure" enjoy them because they mean you have a very fertile soil.

cphillips0053
10-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Couple of ideas come to mind....
Dig out the soil in the area and bring in new?
Is there an herbicide to suppress?

Neal Wolbert
10-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Mushrooms don't necessarily mean healthy soil. Most fungi, both good and not so good, like Armillaria, grow mushrooms, that's how they propagate. There must be some wood left where the tree was removed. They could be beneficial mycorrhizal mushrooms too. Put on your fungus detective hat and identify them, then take a photo and let us all know what they are.

Neal

grenskpr
10-14-2009, 06:04 AM
You are dealing with Fairy Ring. The only fungicide labeled for this is ProStar 50, and it only offers suppression,rather costly too. Fairy ring tends to show up more in spring and fall lots of times there will be a darker circle of turf where the old tree is giving off excessive N.

cphillips0053
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
You are dealing with Fairy Ring. The only fungicide labeled for this is ProStar 50, and it only offers suppression,rather costly too. Fairy ring tends to show up more in spring and fall lots of times there will be a darker circle of turf where the old tree is giving off excessive N.

http://girlinapartyhat.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/big-fairy-ring.jpg
I don't think its Fairy Ring. The tree was a small silver leaf maple about 5" in diameter. The mushrooms growing are in a small cluster approximately in the center of where the tree was.

Mushrooms don't necessarily mean healthy soil. Most fungi, both good and not so good, like Armillaria, grow mushrooms, that's how they propagate. There must be some wood left where the tree was removed. They could be beneficial mycorrhizal mushrooms too. Put on your fungus detective hat and identify them, then take a photo and let us all know what they are.

Neal

I would but there is a daily stomping ritual going on.
Very rarely do I get to see them but they want something done.

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Looks like a Fairy Ring to me.

Marcos
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Forget any sprays.
That's one serious fairy ring.
And in my opinion that picture you have there is worth sending to your county ag extension agent. :waving:

You're going to need to cut the sod out of that area and then focus primarily in the center of those mushrooms with your digging.
I'll bet you the stump grinder ground the stump straight down, but didn't do much if anything about grinding away surface-level root flares that occur in a lot of maples close to the trunk area.
Either that, or he left all his chips in the hole instead of hauling them off. (Hopefully, this is the case!)

In my mind right now, I envision a big truck.....a long chain attached to it.....hooked to a big root mass.
But, hopefully I'm wrong! :waving:

topsites
10-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I would but there is a daily stomping ritual going on.
Very rarely do I get to see them but they want something done.

You have to first study up on voodoo as relates to mushrooms, then find out which ritual it is they
should be performing instead, although from the sound of things the current ritual should be working.

Maybe they're not chanting and there might be other parts being left out, like candle vigils,
either way it has to be done correctly or all of the effort is for naught but whatever y'all do,
DON'T eat them because they're probably not for consumption.

cphillips0053
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I think they are chanting...
Maybe something like "DIE! You Moth** F***** Mushrooms!!!"

Maybe they should switch shoes?
Loafers with a smooth sole?
Or maybe some old sh*t kickers?

cphillips0053
10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
I shouldnt have posted that picture...
That is not a photo of the yard.

Thats one I got off the net.

The photo I posted IS a fairy ring.
The one I am dealing with is NOT.
It is a small cluster of mushrooms where the tree used to be.

The wood chips WERE kicked back in the hole.

Puttinggreens
10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
That certainly resembles the pattern for fairy ring.

I have seen small mushrooms growing on fairy ring on golf course fairways, but they never had a chance to get that big as we mowed daily.

Could be something else but I doubt it.

I had good success on fairy ring using Heritage several years ago in a tall fescue / rye stand of grass.

These are the Heritage label instructions:

Fairy Ring

Rate per M: 0.4 ounce

Apply as soon as possible after fairy ring
symptoms develop. Apply only in 4
gallons water per 1000 square feet
(174 gallons/acre). Add the recommended
rate of a wetting agent to the
final spray. Severely damaged or thin
turf may require reseeding. Fairy ring
symptoms may take 2 to 3 weeks to
disappear following application.
Reapplication after 28 days may be
required in some cases.

mdlwn1
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM

Many fungicides will suppress. This is the second time Ive heard this comment in a week. I know I 've done it.

Marcos
10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
The wood chips WERE kicked back in the hole.

Well, there you go, then, Sherlock.

Just get a half-moon sod cutter or whatever & pull the sod back, dig ALL of 'em out, refill the void with fresh top soil, firmly pack down & then roll back the sod.

Stillwater
10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
yep that is fairy ring, but if your fast and catch one of the fairys you get a wish.