PDA

View Full Version : ZTR for 1 acre and plowing/towing

Jim Clark
05-08-2002, 08:45 AM
I'm moving to a new house soon with just under an acre, probably 3/4 acre cut, not too many trees but a fair amount of beds. I want to be able to cut and trim in 1 hour or less. I also want to use the ZTR for snow plowing, we don't get a lot of snow here. I also want to be able to tow a cart and possibly other tow-behind attachments.

Ariens and Toro make 42-44" residential grade ZTRs that have plow attachments, don't know their towing capabilities. Any other recomendations?

Would like to keep price under $4k with the plow.

Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Catcher
05-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Hmm,
3/4 acre without trees and the need for plenty of attachments? Snow-blade/ thrower, maybe a rototiller for the beds and a weight or airator to keep the lawn in good shape?
I'd buy me a nice tractor.

Jim Clark
05-08-2002, 02:38 PM
The beds have too many plantings for a tractor-sized tiller. The snow blade would only be used minimally in our region. Towing a cart would be mandatory, if I have to go to a tractor to get this option I will. Other attachments would just be a bonus, if I have to go to alternatives like aerators, so be it.

This would "primarily" be a mowing machine, just want "some" other capabilities, but require fast mowing.

Jim

Catcher
05-08-2002, 03:40 PM
Well,
in that case I feel you may be better off looking for a good used commercial unit if you want to stay under $4,000.-
There are some alternatives, but I do not know which price-range they are in, Husquvarna comes to mind for example. They are not built as sturdy but for a 3/4 acre they should last quite a while regardless.
I am using an old tractor to pull my roller etc around the yard with.
If that is not an option, the ZTR's can pull some weight behind them (just remember to make wide turns).
For most applications you'll probably be alright with the ZTR. The other 'drawback' I experienced is that the attachments for the ZTR's do not come cheap.