PDA

View Full Version : V6 Tacoma Pros Cons

TaketheMoneyandRun
10-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Im considering starting an LCO this coming spring.
1.Will a V6 Tacoma have any towing capabilty.
2.Will a V6 Toyota be able to fit and handle a 36" Mower in its bed.
All info is appreciated.

TaketheMoneyandRun
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
PS..... I plan on starting part time(saturdays) How would a 4 cyclinder compare to a v6.

mowerbrad
10-14-2009, 10:12 PM
A V6 will tow better than a 4cyl, obviously. And if you plan on adding any trailer, you will be glad you have a V6 rather than a 4cyl. The tacoma V6 will have some towing capabilities but don't expect to tow too much more than a smaller trailer and a wb or two.

Toy2
10-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Im considering starting an LCO this coming spring.
1.Will a V6 Tacoma have any towing capabilty.
2.Will a V6 Toyota be able to fit and handle a 36" Mower in its bed.
All info is appreciated.
Look for my post "Gate support", the TopHat 16' is pulled with my 96 SR5 Toyota, I wouldn't load my 36'' in the bed of my truck, to much hassle, get a trailer.....

Exact Rototilling
10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I tow my 6 x 12 enclosed with Toyotas with less hp than a newish Tacoma V6. It can be done but If you plan on buying bigger heavier riding mowers you will want a bigger truck that can tow a bigger trailer etc.

As for me I'm happy fine focusing on 1/4 acre or less properties for mowing and I believe sometimes less is more.

Yes a 6 foot Toyota bed will accommodate a Quick 36 just fine. I think another mowing contractor here runs Ford Ranger pickups with a 36" Wright standers loaded in the bed.

HOOLIE
10-16-2009, 12:28 AM
PS..... I plan on starting part time(saturdays) How would a 4 cyclinder compare to a v6.

A 4-cyl is fine for hauling a mower in the bed of the truck....for pulling a trailer they are NOT good. Take it from me, I did that for a year. Unless its a stick shift, then you get a little better towing capacity.

A 6-cyl Tacoma will be fine under either scenario, especially if you're just towing a trailer and one mower.

tropical breeze
10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I am looking at a 97 dodge 1500 only issue is the 171,000 miles any feedback on this truck. And I would say go with a V-6 or more and get a trailer.

greenmonster304
10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
What year toyota
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I would also suggest a v6 and a small trailer especially with one or two mowers

Squires4Seasons
10-16-2009, 08:17 PM
A v6 would be fine. I own a 2005 Tacoma TRD Crew Cab and could pull a 16' open trailer when my chevy k2500 is down without any problems. Make sure that most of the weight is on the axels of the trailer.

I wouldn't recommend a 4 cylinder.

cgaengineer
10-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I have 3 Tacomas, all 4x4

One Double Cab V6 3.4 2004 Auto Trans
One Ex Cab 2004 V6 3.4 Auto Trans
One Single Cab 2.7 Supercharged 1999 Manual Trans
All three are equipped with a heavy ARB Bull Bars and Warn Winches. All three have a 3" Old Man Emu Suspension lift and larger tires which effect gas mileage.

All will pull a total weight under 3000 pounds just fine, but anything over that and you are looking at gas mileage way under 10mpg. Two weeks ago we loaded the Dcab up with camping gear in the bed, 6x12 trailer with a Suzuki Vinson 500, Honda Rancher 350 and a Honda Recon and pulled it to the mountains...the trip was LONG, we averaged about 10mpg but it was rolling grades, so much of the time I had it out of overdrive. My average speed was between 65 and 75 mph. The two 2004's have a towing capacity of 6000 pounds but you would seriously be pushing the limits of the truck and safety would be an issue even with trailer brakes.

For my 800 pound WB, trimmers, edgers and blowers and the 5x8 trailer I use for lawn care each truck will pull all day long without much effect on gas mileage and power unless you are climbing steep hills.

Puddle of Oil
10-16-2009, 09:18 PM
dont get a toyota, they fall apart from the inside! get a ranger they take a beating!

I would say go with a V-6 or more and get a trailer.

What he said!

Get a trailer its much easier then loading it on your truck

shane mapes
10-17-2009, 01:50 AM
I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma quad cab. I haul a 6 by 18 ft. trailer around with it. the tongue is to heavy to manually take off the ball, we use a floor jack(has a fab. box on the front of trailer to hold all my junk). I carry two green bins & 3 Honda 21s & 1 26 in. metro & all the hand tools blowers etc. The total weight on trailer is around 2500 lbs. I get about 17 mpg. My Toyota hauls just fine. It is only a V6 not V8 or T.R.D. In my op ion it is the best truck for me. Would'nt trade it for nothing.

emlawncare
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
get a chevy... 1500 with a 5 speed v6. mine averages 16 mpg pulling our 7x16 enclosed race trailer. there is only about 1,000lbs in the trailer but it handles it with no problems at all. my dad had another 1500 identical to mine and he would pull a 7x14 all metal cattle trailer with a 2000lb bull in it. it didnt like to stop very well (trailer was old and didnt have trailer brakes) but it would pull it with out any issues. as for a toyota, a good friend of mine had a 2004 tacoma with the 3.4 v6 and an auto tranny. it was a very nice truck and would make an awesome everyday driver but it didnt handle trailers too well. he also had some problems with it, it would turn over but never start. if you turned the ignition back off and then try starting it again it would fire right up like nothing was wrong. he bought the truck used and didnt have it all but 5 months and it only had 50,000 miles. but he took it to the local dealership and they gave him an estimate for over $900. as for the "taco", it was traded off within a couple weeks for a chevy :usflag:

cgaengineer
10-17-2009, 07:26 AM
get a chevy... 1500 with a 5 speed v6. mine averages 16 mpg pulling our 7x16 enclosed race trailer. there is only about 1,000lbs in the trailer but it handles it with no problems at all. my dad had another 1500 identical to mine and he would pull a 7x14 all metal cattle trailer with a 2000lb bull in it. it didnt like to stop very well (trailer was old and didnt have trailer brakes) but it would pull it with out any issues. as for a toyota, a good friend of mine had a 2004 tacoma with the 3.4 v6 and an auto tranny. it was a very nice truck and would make an awesome everyday driver but it didnt handle trailers too well. he also had some problems with it, it would turn over but never start. if you turned the ignition back off and then try starting it again it would fire right up like nothing was wrong. he bought the truck used and didnt have it all but 5 months and it only had 50,000 miles. but he took it to the local dealership and they gave him an estimate for over $900. as for the "taco", it was traded off within a couple weeks for a chevy :usflag:

That start problem you mention with the tacomas, I have noticed it and I know what causes it. When you park the truck for the day and you get in the next day after a rapid change in temperature it will do that from time to time. What I have figured the problem to be is due to the temp varying so widely the computer had been in it's last used state when the temp was warmer and did not have a chance to adjust for the cooler temps in the instant you turned the key. This problem does not seem to happen under any other circumstances and is not a problem if you turn the key on and wait about 2-3 seconds before you start. It's a glitch with the part of the computer that handles the mass air flow circuit for the heated wire MAF sensor. The computer that vehicles have is not like the desktop computer you use to get on lawnsite, you could compare it to maybe a 8088 running DOS from the 80's in terms of speed.

Not to start a war, as far as the Chevy 1500 V6 compared to a Tacoma V6 there is no comparison, the Tacoma will outlast the Chevy all day long. If you are going to buy a Chevy buy a V8. A full size truck with a V6 would not be on my short list of vehicles to buy. All one has to do is compare the horsepower and torque to a V8 or a Tacoma to understand why, not that the Toyota would have more power and torque but it's a lighter truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Just to list

A 1500 4.3 v6 is 195 hp and the Tacoma v6 is 190.
Posted via Mobile Device

Toy2
10-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Just to list

A 1500 4.3 v6 is 195 hp and the Tacoma v6 is 190.
Posted via Mobile Device
Toyota rules in my book, 1996 SR5 Toyota 4x4 V-6, 86K miles, nothing, I mean nothing needed except tires and batteries.......my truck is a tank, and still looks great, even has original floor mats........:usflag:

96 Camry-good car=sold-140K
02 Camry-great car=still have-90K
07 Camry-great car=still have-26K

cgaengineer
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Yup, tires, brakes, belts, oil and gas.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmcguire
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
A V6 will tow better than a 4cyl, obviously. And if you plan on adding any trailer, you will be glad you have a V6 rather than a 4cyl. The tacoma V6 will have some towing capabilities but don't expect to tow too much more than a smaller trailer and a wb or two.

I have an 05 4wd extended cab 4.0 v6 6 speed manual and i haul a 5x10, toro 50inch, and other obvious tools. Yesterday I had an additional 1.5 yards in bed of truck! She was saggin!

cgaengineer
05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I have an 05 4wd extended cab 4.0 v6 6 speed manual and i haul a 5x10, toro 50inch, and other obvious tools. Yesterday I had an additional 1.5 yards in bed of truck! She was saggin!

An 05 is much more powerful than the 04 and older, but all of them come with weak springs...so all 3 of mine have 3" add a leafs. I can haul 1 cu yd of sand in my Taco.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmcguire
05-08-2010, 01:17 AM
An 05 is much more powerful than the 04 and older, but all of them come with weak springs...so all 3 of mine have 3" add a leafs. I can haul 1 cu yd of sand in my Taco.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, once I get a little money together I am going to buy the add a leaf and front coil that's stiffer and 2.5 inch body spacers? Its 299 from Toytec. I generally always haul my 5x10 trailer with all necessary lawn maintenance equipment daily and get 15 mpg roughly!

Couldn't ask for a better truck. Almost 117k miles and it always gets me from a to b, reliably :laugh:

Is your fleet all manual transmission trucks?

cgaengineer
05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah, once I get a little money together I am going to buy the add a leaf and front coil that's stiffer and 2.5 inch body spacers? Its 299 from Toytec. I generally always haul my 5x10 trailer with all necessary lawn maintenance equipment daily and get 15 mpg roughly!

Couldn't ask for a better truck. Almost 117k miles and it always gets me from a to b, reliably :laugh:

Is your fleet all manual transmission trucks?

Do yourself a favor and get Old Man Emu coils for the front and you will have to replace the struts as well.

Actually its not a fleet of them here at home. My wife has an 04 Double Cab 4x4, I drive and 04 Ex Cab 4x4 from work and then I have a 99 single cab 4x4 MT for my lawns. I will see if I can grab some pictures later. All 3 of the trucks have ARB bull bars with a winch. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
youll be fine with a v6 unless you plan on towing anything huge

cgaengineer
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
You won't need a body lift and I wouldn't suggest one unless you want to make brackets to raise the bumpers...save yourself the aggravation and do a suspension lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

jerseytaco
05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/Jerseytaco/AlohaLawnCare/IMG00043-201004300948.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/Jerseytaco/Trucks/P4220644.jpg

Lawn Man Dave
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
There is a local with a V-6 Dodge, pulls a Scag ZTR, a small push mower, weed eater, blower, and some fuel.......... the rear sags pretty bad and by the looks of the fron thweels his brakes are hating him.

I worked with a guy that has the same truck but was a 1500 with a 308 and it pulled a Dixie, two walk behined, extra fuel, ect, ect, and 4 guys but he had a tow package on it and had to use the tow button quite a bit... he now tows the same load with a new F-150.

macgyver_GA
05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
You should be fine with a v6 tacoma. I have an '07 double cab short bed and I load my 36" WB and gear in the bed. I have two folding metal ramps to load it into the bed. Obviously a trailer would be easier to load and unload things but I don't have anywhere to park a trailer (HOA) other than my garage and my truck and mowers are parked in the garage.

If you are worried about leaf spring sag you can always add an AAL or airbags for relatively cheap.

A Toyota will outlast and outperform any other midsized truck out there hands down. There is no comparison. Not to mention if you ever sell it you will appreciate the excellent resale value of tacomas.

Lawn Man Dave
05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
A Toyota will outlast and outperform any other midsized truck out there hands down. There is no comparison. Not to mention if you ever sell it you will appreciate the excellent resale value of tacomas.

Nice first post:rolleyes:

cgaengineer
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
You should be fine with a v6 tacoma. I have an '07 double cab short bed and I load my 36" WB and gear in the bed. I have two folding metal ramps to load it into the bed. Obviously a trailer would be easier to load and unload things but I don't have anywhere to park a trailer (HOA) other than my garage and my truck and mowers are parked in the garage.

If you are worried about leaf spring sag you can always add an AAL or airbags for relatively cheap.

What he said...but why would you ever sell a Toyota...mine will go out in a Hearse designed for cars...AKA a rollback.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Man Dave
05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Anything will last if you take care of it......... most will agree that the newer stuff does not last as long as the older stuff...... remember the older diesels that would have near a million miles on them and the body? Or even 500k? Now days 500k will happen but the body is shot.

I have yet to see many gas trucks that are pulling trucks last well past say the 300k mark. It seems 2XXk is about the average for all pulling gas trucks before stuff starts to really break.....

macgyver_GA
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
What he said...but why would you ever sell a Toyota...mine will go out in a Hearse designed for cars...AKA a rollback.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only time I would ever sell mine would be to buy a new(er) one. I plan on driving mine for a long long time.

cgaengineer
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I hate to say this, but the engine, body and frames on so called American vehicles may last, but the engine will leak oil no matter how goos you take care of it and all the plastic parts will break. I have seen Toyotas with over 200k not leak a drop of oil. Nothing could be worde then having to use a customers driveway to park your rig and a large oil spot left behind. I have been there done that with Chevy and Fords...I'm not spending my hard earned money on something that bleeds oil. They say if a Chevy doesn't leak oil it doesn't have any in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

macgyver_GA
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
If Toyota made the tundra in a diesel I would buy one in a heartbeat.

cgaengineer
05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
If Toyota made the tundra in a diesel I would buy one in a heartbeat.

All in good time my friend. They actually had one as a prototype but canned it when the economy took a dive...unlike othe auto builder which kept pumping out cars that nobody could or would buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Man Dave
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I hate to say this, but the engine, body and frames on so called American vehicles may last, but the engine will leak oil no matter how goos you take care of it and all the plastic parts will break. I have seen Toyotas with over 200k not leak a drop of oil. Nothing could be worde then having to use a customers driveway to park your rig and a large oil spot left behind. I have been there done that with Chevy and Fords...I'm not spending my hard earned money on something that bleeds oil. They say if a Chevy doesn't leak oil it doesn't have any in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

What I find funny is that the newer Toyota V-8 Truck engine started out as a GM LS1 engine that they converted over to over head cam........ yeah Toyota bought the rights off of GM for the LS1 when GM went to the LS2.

Any maker has it's problems....... Toyota had the rusing frames, engines locking up all the recals as of late plus the new news that they waited a year to recall the SUV's and trucks that were snaping stearing rods.... then as of late they say "thanks to our loyal customers we sold more cars and trucks then anyone last month" in comercials but fail to mention that they have had STEEP discounts for that mounth.....

I do agree that the engines that start out as Japaneese or German or whatever design tend to last longer and tend not to leak... chances are parts for them will cost a little more... get what you pay for.... HOWEVER I can't think of any make of car or truck that I have not seen my fair share of beaters that leaked all over the place icluding Toyota and Honda.

cgaengineer
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not calling you a liar, but I honestly don't see how an
OHC engine could be based on the design of a standard push rod
engine. The same engine mold couldn't even be used.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Man Dave
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm not calling you a liar, but I honestly don't see how an
OHC engine could be based on the design of a standard push rod
engine. The same engine mold couldn't even be used.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can keep port designs and basic head designs, intake desings, bottom end desing (6 bolt main) ect ect.

If you look at the two together or apart you can see what the design came from.

You just pull the cam out of the block, redesign the front end so that you cna install timing belts or chains for the cams, redesign parts of the heads and guess what? :)

Im sure they just took a few of the design aspects and used them... I know that most of that engine is Toyota made.

When they first came out they had quite a few of them have issues with the cams having issues and taking out the engines.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
unfortunaetly right now we are using a s10 4x4 4 cylinder stickshift. we tow a 5/8 trailer w/ 2 w/b's with no problem. towing soil and mulch sux tho. we are buying a bigger truck and trailer ASAP

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-16-2010, 07:26 PM
i had an 89 toyota sr5 4x4 w/ 33 swampers... stickshift.. that lasted for just under 300,000 miles. it leaked oil from the timing chain like a SOB but as long as i kept dumpin in the quarts she ran forever. i even beat the piss outta it in the powerlines since i was a teenager. awesome on fuel too. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another toyota pickup at all. people talk crap cuz its jap but who cares if it outlasts an american made truck

cgaengineer
05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
i had an 89 toyota sr5 4x4 w/ 33 swampers... stickshift.. that lasted for just under 300,000 miles. it leaked oil from the timing chain like a SOB but as long as i kept dumpin in the quarts she ran forever. i even beat the piss outta it in the powerlines since i was a teenager. awesome on fuel too. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another toyota pickup at all. people talk crap cuz its jap but who cares if it outlasts an american made truck

We had an 95 and it leaked oil from timing cover as well...the problem is the seals Last so long they actually harden and cut a grove in the crank, and the cover also leaked bad because replacing the timing chain calls for r&r head, but you can remove without doing that but it will usually leak after.
Posted via Mobile Device