PDA

View Full Version : starting a mowing business what mower??

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
i plan on buying a mower and starting a business next year i have been looking at the badboy pup. would that be a good starting point or should i consider a diff. mower i have always enjoyed mowing and have always wanted to do it full time and since i was in a wreck earlier this year and had slipped disk in my neck it puts a damper to what i have always did running big machinery so i plan on doing this for a long time so i need advise on what mowers to buy and ect. thanks

Allens LawnCare
10-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Depends on what size properties your targeting. With neck or back issues you'll need a machine that you can upgrade the seat to a suspension seat. Personaly I love my Exmarks. We don't have too many dealers around, mostly toro, exmark, ferris and Husky. The thing you'll need to think about is start up cost. Can you spring for a $10,000 mower. You want something that you don't have to finance because your income may struggle at the begining

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I do plan on paying in full for the mower and i would like to try and stay on half acre yards and up. Because of the size but if it gets going good then i might also buy something smaller to tackle smaller jobs. I was also wondering what a basic price is for about a easy 1 acre yard. So i could have something to start buy so i can adjust a price to other size yards.i bought a vinyl cutter earlier this year so i figured between vinyl lettering and some mowing i might be abel to make some money.thanks

retrodog
10-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I would recommend you letting go of an extra $1000 or so and springing for the lightning. You get the michigan seat and the easy ride system then, and you will be thankful everytime you hop on your mower...

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info what engine would you recomend? The 26hp kawasaki lc,31hp kawasaki or the 32hp vanguard. Also do you guys bag your clippings or just let them be and just blow them off the driveway ect. Just wondering what most homeowners prefer so i know wheather or not if i also need to be considering a bagging system.. Thanks....

Allens LawnCare
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Prices, your on your own, they range from 55-75 an acre depending on trimming, obstacles and competitions pricing. if you search here you wanna shoot for 60-65 an hour but that's all on you. Your over head may be less and you can get away with charging a little less without being called a cut throat. Engine size is a matter of opinion as well, My 52 has a 23 hp Kohler, Wish I went with the 25 or a little higher but it works just fine.
Some people bag some don't....I do. I have a place to dump and it takes just as long to dump the clippings as it does to double cut a property. Personally I think the stripes are cleaner....again matter of opinion

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks...it's nice to know some of this stuff so i don't just start not knowing. I have seen where some people on here have talked about license. And stuff so say i'm going to be doing this all on my own what all kinds of permits,business license.,etc. Does someone need. I know it very's from place to place but what are the main things you need to have. Workman's comp. Sorry if i am not making any sense or if these are dumb questions..

Allens LawnCare
10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Check out your state website.....most places don't require Workers Comp if your solo or working with family, licenses vary state to state...in CT you don't have to be to mow lawns but as soon as you add anything into the picture, mulch etc you need a home improvement license

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Cool. Sounds fairly simple, i will have to check the website then and see.maybe it will be simple like ct.

Allens LawnCare
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Good luck......Keep your head up even when the STRESS hits you

ajgarber70
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Will do.. And thanks for your time and info...

Allens LawnCare
10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
No problem.....snow and rain today...send me a PM if you have any more questions, I'm not a millionaire but getting by