PDA

View Full Version : Toro Groundsmaster 327 engine output shaft

dbiggs
10-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I recently purchased a 1988 Toro Groundsmaster 327 (model 30787). When I bought it, I knew the engine output shaft and/or the engine drive adapter were bad when I bought it (Toro part numbers 23-1620 and 21.2260). Before I purchased it, I emailed the local Toro Dealer and asked specifically if the parts were still available, to which I was told yes. I purchased the machine, got it home and tore into it...needed both parts, so I called the dealer and placed the order for the parts only to be called back about an hour later telling me that they recieved notification from Toro that the parts were no longer available. So here I sit....trying to figure out what my options are....I have checked with a local mower salvage yard, but have not heard anything back from them yet.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Just wondering if someone has fabbed up something different in place of the factory parts.

crawford_d
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I might have one, I'll look for it to night when I get home.

dbiggs
10-15-2009, 05:49 PM
That would be great Craw...thanks!

crawford_d
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Ya I got a 27-3780 coupler new with tag still on it. I got a bunch of 27-6560 coupling (rubber) you probably need two, right?

crawford_d
10-15-2009, 06:46 PM
My mistake I reread your post and I was thinking something else, sorry. I don't have that shaft nor have I ever gotten into one that I remeber.

crawford_d
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe you'll have to have your parts rebuilt.

dbiggs
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking also. I did some measuring and a little google-ing and it turns out that there are some cars that use the same diameter/spline count input shaft on the transmission. I'm thinking of trying to find a clutch from one of them to see if the shaft will mesh with the splines on the shaft. The other thing I was thinking was to have a bushing machined to the correct diameter/spline count, bore out the engine adapter a bit, the press/weld the new bushing into that. I'm sure I'll come up with something....

And I thought this would be a nice, easy fix...LOL :hammerhead:

crawford_d
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM
If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

dbiggs
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
That is very true!

I contacted another Toro dealer and have found that I can still get the output shaft, however, the "engine output adapter" is not available, and that is the part I need the worst. I am going to contact a local gear shop tomorrow to see if they can make a new hub for me. This part was also used on the Groundsmaster 72's...I don't understand why they wouldn't carry a part that was used for so long on so many machines.

crawford_d
10-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I can't believe you can't find someone with one of those machines laying around and being parted out with a part on it you are looking for.

dbiggs
10-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah...guess I'm just not looking in the right places...

dbiggs
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Well....I gave up on trying to find used parts or a cheap alternative. Went to a local gear shop today and they are going to make a new part for me...will be a couple hundred bucks though...