PDA

View Full Version : If you had your choice of lawn vacuums.............

Kooz
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I am thinking about adding leaf cleanup for my customers. I have found three on Craig's list. All three vacuum, chip, and shred, and all three are self propelled One is a Craftsman 6.5 hp., one is a Yardman 5.5 hp, and the third is a Troy Bilt. All are advertised at $300.00. All are almost new condition. I want to start out small to see what the leaf market is in my area. Any opinions? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Kooz

MnGreen
10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Be interesting to see what users of these units say.
I can't see them being much of a asset unless the leaves were mulched first with the mower.
Collection and capability seems limited and slow.

pieperlc
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't know what you're looking to get out of these machines, but I would strongly urge you not to buy one. A vac system on your mower will clean a lawn much faster. On real small tight areas, a rake will be a much better investment.

Ruben Rocha
10-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I have a craftsman model self propelled.
Works fine for hard surfaces.
Does not do well on turf/uneven surfaces.
The hose is almost a waste of time
and you can't go very far before you need to empty the bag.
The chipper is a waste of time.
But it does come with a blower attachment chute which works really nice to round up stuff but you could do the same with a backpack blower.

Kooz
10-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your input! Would I be better off buying something bigger. There is a Mighty Mite leaf vac /chipper 8 hp 5 speed with a cast iron sleeve. Asking price is $450.00

RAlmaroad
10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Isn't that what a bagger for the lawn mower does. My Kabota almost makes mulch--well it does out of dry leaves.

Kooz
10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
The only problem is the my metal grass catcher for my MTD 48" doesn't hold a lot of yard clippings even with my gator blades. Seems like I emptying it every 5 minutes.

corey4671
10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
D none of the above. When you are talking about these types of machines you are wasting money if it is not a Billy Goat or a Little Wonder. Personally I have the Little Wonder HPV and granted I don't use it that much, but when I do it's AWESOME. It has it's own little spot on the front of the trailer and there are many times I'm glad I have it with me.

atouchofnature
10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I have a Troy Bilt that works very well for leaves. It leaves something to be desired for picking up small twigs/sticks. It works fairly well for shrub clippings. It works very well for picking up grass clippings.

I don't do much leaf cleanup at all, so have not seen a need, personally, for a higher end machine. In past years, I used a leaf blower, rake & bags to clean up leaves, so this thing has been really nice. Mine is not self propelled, and you have to walk a bit slow with it to do a thorough job, so I couldn't imagine using it for a large lawn, but it makes fairly short work of my typical 1/4 acre or less lawns.

It has a hose attachment for cleaning leaves out of beds, behind the AC unit etc. The hose does not have nearly as much suction power as the unit does when used as a walk behind unit, making it very slow to clean up those areas.

If you are interested in price comparison, I bought mine from a homeowner who had used it to cleanup after an ice storm. She had used it just the one time on her own small lawn, and it had been in her garage since. I paid $300 and she showed me her receipt showing that she had paid just short of $600 for it. For the money spent, I am satisfied.

bigslick7878
10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
D none of the above. When you are talking about these types of machines you are wasting money if it is not a Billy Goat or a Little Wonder. Personally I have the Little Wonder HPV and granted I don't use it that much, but when I do it's AWESOME. It has it's own little spot on the front of the trailer and there are many times I'm glad I have it with me.

Exactly.

You aren't getting anything worthwhile for a few hunderd bucks, waste of money.

Runner
10-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Save your money rather than wasting it on this type piece of equipment. One can windrow and tarp leaves faster than what these machines will do...

david shumaker
10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Save your money. I spent almost $1,000.00 on a Little Wonder leaf vac and hardly use it. It really sucks up leaves good and mulches them, but is a pain to keep emptying. They probably have their place for commercial accounts with parking lots, but I find tarps, blowers and rakes work better for lawns.

If leaves are dry and not too thick, my mower mulches the leaves just fine.

punt66
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
a belt driven bagging system on a ztr makes quick work for leaf pickup. Dont waste your money.

B.H.
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
have found it much faster to blow leaves etc. away from trees, bldgs and so forth and then bag em up with my mower. 54 hustler super z with bac vac does an awesome job. also do the same in smaller yards with my 36 hydro bagger and them dump em onto a tarp. had a similar unit to these and when it broke i left it my mechanics shop for him to use for spare parts i hated it so bad.

LewisLawn
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
these are not commercial use type machines they may be okay for the homeowner...i myself use a HPV after mowing and windrowing the majority of the yard, i also find a backpack blower to clear the larger areas of the yard and then raking them on to a tarp works well...my HPV hold approx 12 industrial size garbage bags full of leaves if i were to just rake and bag vs using my HPV...the bagging capacity of these HPV's far surpasses the troy built and cub cadet/yardman machines

Dodge2
10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Toro makes one, although I don't know how well it works.