PDA

View Full Version : when is it too wet to aerate?

americanlawn
10-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Just curious when you guys "pull the plug". We have had 2 1/2 weeks of light rains (basically every other day). 1/4 inch here & 1/3 inch there. Soil is saturated, and the grass doesn't dry out much at all. We're battling to get aerations done, but we hate to tear up turf. Plus the slipping & sliding due to wet soil & wet grass is not a safe situation for workers. Not good. Most years, we pray for rain when we aerate...not this year.

Also - we have been 20 to 30 degrees below normal during this period.

Here's a pic as of 1:00 p.m. CDT of my driveway. We had 1/3 inch of rain overnight, and the drizzle continues. The crap laying on the grass = my wife's Halloween inflatables. Local fire station across the street. The flag pole boasts a "Hawkeye Nation" flag, and my Avalanche still has a McCain/Palen sticker in the back window -- Sorry osama :laugh:

Stuttering Stan
10-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds too wet. Too easy to make a mess with core aerator. Words of wisdom- leave it better than you found it. Wait till it dries.

a plus bob
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
If it pokes a hole but doesn't leave a plug I dont do it !

americanlawn
10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Ditto -- thanks. We did not aerate yesterday, and neither did alot of other folks around here. Started up again today....much better & safer. 30 day weather outlook says it will be warmer & normal precip. Hope so.

grassman177
10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
too wet doesnt exist unless it is more than a hand aerator you are using. ahah

americanlawn
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
We cheat a little, cuz we use Ryan 48" /hydraulic lift aerators (pulled with John Deere 445's) for open areas and large properties.

2nd best option = TURFCO w/sulky.

3rd best option = walk behinds (TURFCO, Ryan).

Nuther thing regarding soft ground .... heavy 'earthworm populations' causing aeration equipment (all sizes) to pull out chunks of turf.

Hope the rains/drizzle stops soon.

too wet doesnt exist unless it is more than a hand aerator you are using. ahah

corey4671
10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I feel your pain. It rained hard here last Friday afternoon...scattered tornados. Hasn;'t stopped drizzling since. Going down into the 40's tonight and 30's the next two nights.

americanlawn
10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks bud - we lost seven days in the past 2 1/2 weeks due to bad weather. Still have about 75 aerations remaining plus over 2400 customers who take Round 5. Planning on increasing production incentives 50%. Hope to finish everything by Thanksgiving. Praying the weather holds. We'll see. :waving:

corey4671
10-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks bud - we lost seven days in the past 2 1/2 weeks due to bad weather. Still have about 75 aerations remaining plus over 2400 customers who take Round 5. Planning on increasing production incentives 50%. Hope to finish everything by Thanksgiving. Praying the weather holds. We'll see. :waving:

I know all about that. I've gotten MAYBE 12 good days in the last 4 weeks. This is CRAZY! news reported last night that we are currently 12" above normal for this time of year. I got a handful of aerations and overseeds done last Thursday before the rain hit. Good news is seed has already germinated and is coming up. Hoping for a somewhat mild winter...might get to mow some ryegrass.

grassman177
10-17-2009, 09:59 AM
we are getting drizzle again today. wow, been wet this year. treated alot of brown patch this summer and some dollar spot this early fall. have not seen that for many years. we have a hodge podge of aerators. a ryan, a classen and a plugr for walk behinds. and a 60 in for the tractor three point. that thing pulls 3-4 inch cores.

david shumaker
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Too wet here to aerate. It's been raining for 3 days. I've been putting down fertilizer when it's just drizziling.