PDA

View Full Version : worms all over walks and driveway weeks after application of fert.

ant
10-15-2009, 05:34 PM
got this from a client today....
Hi Ant, Just was wondering if you know why we have all dead worms all over our sidewalk, surrounding our lawn. We are the only house that has it on the block. It looks terrible. Is it something that you put on the lawn??
what do u guys think..
it just started to rain today here for the first time in a week or so..

LushGreenLawn
10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
This question has been asked before. It has nothing to do with the fert, the rain is driving them from their tunnels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
10-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Ant,
What type of fert did you apply and at what rate?
Did you happen to drive by and look for any signs of dead worms on the customers sidewalk?
I happen to agree with all of the rains that have fallen and the night time temps, the worms are higher up in the soils, but if there are no other neighbors with this same problem, it will lead to speculation. A quick release salinic content fertilizer will flush them out just as Ammonium Sulfate will flush out the worm and kill them! Ever wash out a bucket of bleach water and it pours onto the grass..............the worms will come to the top and turn to slime.
I have had several dozen of the red worms on my sidewalks but it is after the heavy rains and the concrete is warmer and higher up than the soil.

mdlwn1
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I had a minor similar issue....the worms are up there already. On a 1000' ft driveway I only saw 15 or so after a .75lb feeding

DUSTYCEDAR
10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
my plot to take over ant is working :clapping:

phasthound
10-16-2009, 09:10 PM
my plot to take over ant is working :clapping:

There goes my beer all over the keyboard! :laugh:

Ant, don't let him get away with this! We jersey boys need to counter attack against those pesky Pa kids.

GrazerZ
10-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Tell them they have more worms due to your awesome care.

Think Green
10-17-2009, 12:42 AM
It is a common fact, that healthier soils when active, do have more worm activity than barron lifeless soils. So, more worms mean healthier soil!!!!!
I can dig in my annual beds that is loaded with manure, leaf litter, and the worms would scurry like roaches.!!!!!

HayBay
10-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Lol.......

Some people are so enviro alarmist now days...

This customer will be trouble in the future.

dishboy
10-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Lol.......

Some people are so enviro alarmist now days...

This customer will be trouble in the future.

Customers who pay attention to what goes on in the yard are always trouble!:rolleyes:

HayBay
10-17-2009, 07:05 PM
thats the truth Dishboy.

phasthound
10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Customers who pay attention to what goes on in the yard are always trouble!:rolleyes:

Those who become educated become your best customers.

HayBay
10-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Having the customer evaluate job performance on a before and after basis is less stressful than by the second. It takes time to educate customers, talk is cheap the proof is in the pudding.

HayBay
10-17-2009, 08:31 PM
"Hi Ant, Just was wondering if you know why we have all dead worms all over our sidewalk, surrounding our lawn. We are the only house that has it on the block. It looks terrible. Is it something that you put on the lawn?? "

Fertilizer App that controls/kills worms, could it work on Grubs or Cutworms, Sod Webworm etc...too?

nc-jrock
10-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Those who become educated become your best customers.

That's the truth, our educated customers are our best and highest paying
customers.

ant
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Ant,
What type of fert did you apply and at what rate?
Did you happen to drive by and look for any signs of dead worms on the customers sidewalk?
I happen to agree with all of the rains that have fallen and the night time temps, the worms are higher up in the soils, but if there are no other neighbors with this same problem, it will lead to speculation. A quick release salinic content fertilizer will flush them out just as Ammonium Sulfate will flush out the worm and kill them! Ever wash out a bucket of bleach water and it pours onto the grass..............the worms will come to the top and turn to slime.
I have had several dozen of the red worms on my sidewalks but it is after the heavy rains and the concrete is warmer and higher up than the soil.

32-3-8 w/pcscu

ant
10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
thanks for your replys

phasthound
10-21-2009, 09:36 PM
thanks for your replys

Ant, what was the result? What did you say to your client & how did they respond?