PDA

View Full Version : Running a small business and going to school

JMLandscaping
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi guys I have a very small company now a handful of residential, do a lot of firewood and am on the verge of 1 commercial. Anybody work (or working) through school. Im going to URI for Business and Landscape Architecture, just wondering what you may think.

I have the whole summer off obviously and only have classes MWF.

Hoy landscaping
10-15-2009, 06:30 PM
yea. me too. except im still in high school

topsites
10-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't you have some homework needs doing?

JMLandscaping
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah about that.... I manage to do both sometimes

1993lx172
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I do, I work when I get home on Friday (around 1-1:30) till about 6:30. Then go and watch my old high school's band at the football game (I miss marching band plus it's good to see my friends from band again and my sister is in it this year). Saturday get to the first yard by 7:55 and the blades start turning at 8. If there's a band competition I'll work in the morning, drive to where it is and watch preliminaries then go home and knock another yard or two out. If they make finals I call it a day and watch if not I keep working then do home work. Sunday I'm either finishing up jobs or doing home work and then leave for school at 5:00.

It's tough and you won't have a lot of time to relax but it's only for a few months and then you are off for the winter.

Ben's Landscape
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Im doing the same Josh!!

DJJS
10-15-2009, 08:28 PM
i worked while i was in highschool after i graduated though i didnt go started doing it full time since i had around 50 accounts, now im up to 77 weekly accounts 10 bi weekly and i have a contract with 2 local real estate agencies to take care of some of their properties that are for sale, we usually do around 10-15 of those a week as well so we do over 90 lawns a week and sidework (hardscaping, planting, tree work and a few decks). as long as you can keep up with your school work more power to you goodluck man

Scagmower48
10-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Running a business and going to school is possible if your college class schedule allows you to work. Having classes from 10-3 everyday is not ideal unless you have only a handful of accounts. I go to school M & W from 8:30 -2:20 and T & R at night. My schedule allows me to mow 35-40 lawns with a extra job or two a week. I rarley work on saturday. The spring semester is easier because I only work for a month with both school and work. The fall is two months with both.

mowerbrad
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I go to paramedic school, work with the fire dept and do lawn care. I only go to school 2 days a week, tuesday and thursday. I leave at 11:30 and get back at about 5:00. So those two days I can't do anything. I also have some obligations with the fire dept on occasion that take up a day. Otherwise I'm mowing Fridays and Saterdays, and a few other days during cleanups.

jeffslawnservice
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I am doing the same in high school. It is getting a little harder to do now with getting more sidework as well as mowing. But I am not sure of how I am going to do this next year with college. But I should find a way. Hoy Landscaping where are you at in PA? i am in Northeast Philadelphia.

casekey
10-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I am doing the same. Im working full time for a very large landscaping company and going to school full time.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Still in highschool, before the grass slowed down I was mowing every day from the time I got home until dark and then usually for a full day on Saturday. Now I'ma ble to slow it down and cut back though. Already miss the steady income haha