PDA

View Full Version : Granular VS Liquid

Turf Dawg
10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I hope this has not been beat to death, but is there any benefit of liquid other than price over granular. I am mainly interested in the pre emergent and fertilizers. I know that post is always better with spray.

The reason I am wondering this is because I am thinking of changing gears alittle bit. I have always been mainly maintenance oriented with landscape installs and applications on the low end. In 08 I went from running three trucks on the maintenance down to just me and my son. My son is ready to start pursuing other interest and it is going to be just me and I do not know how much longer that I want to keep beating myself down with the maintenance.

I now only have a Pro Lawn shielded 52" sprayer, Lesco spreaders and several back pack 4 gallon sprayers. I am interested in the ride on units such as the Z spray and T 3000. I know these are good for low volume post weed spray but I do not feel they will handle pre m and fert other than granular. I have always used granular so that does not bother me. I guess what I really want to know is a skid type sprayer really necessary? I really do not want to use another truck and pull a hose around right now.

Please give your honest opinions. I know everyone's needs and feelings are different.

sedge
10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
now i have always thought liquid was higher.... at least it has been every time i priced it. many buy urea and dissolve it in water to spray it, so that isn't a liquid to begin with......

only advantage if liquid in my limited experience would you can mix it any way you want to with just about anything you want to... micros included or not...

mdlwn1
10-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I sometimes use liquid fert because it is an easy way to put down as little as 1/4lb N/1000. Secondly those ferts are a FOLIAR feeding sometimes providing results within 2-3 days. As for the pre's, pure speed of application as well as not throwing it where it doesnt belong....like in someone's driveway, (artwork in my case), or anywhere that it isnt needed.

sedge
10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
whats the cost difference for you?

mdlwn1
10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
All depends..basic liquid fert is soo cheap its amusing. I think I paid 6 or 7 hundred for a 2.5 gallon jug of Dimension. I forget the rate, but it was enough to treat 5 acres for like 2 years.

CHARLES CUE
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I pay 2.70 a lbs for a true liquid fert just the N
got a quote to day for a pallet 25-3-10 with pre for 1.93 a lbs this is granular
Charles Cue

Turf Dawg
10-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Ok I might have been wrong about the price, I just have heard liquid was cheaper.

Anyway, other than the one that mentioned speed, anymore thoughts on Ride on, skid or will both eventually be needed?

Turf Dawg
10-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I pay 2.70 a lbs for a true liquid fert just the N
got a quote to day for a pallet 25-3-10 with pre for 1.93 a lbs this is granular
Charles Cue

Holy crapamoly, I know that the formula is alittle different but the last I bought a couple of months ago was

Lesco Pre M .86% 25-2-5 30%PPSCU for $26.59 bag 12,000 sqr ft thats like 54 cents per pound

sedge
10-16-2009, 08:30 AM
when i price fert it is by the the lb in terms of n, not lbs in a bag.

CHARLES CUE
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Holy crapamoly, I know that the formula is alittle different but the last I bought a couple of months ago was

Lesco Pre M .86% 25-2-5 30%PPSCU for $26.59 bag 12,000 sqr ft thats like 54 cents per pound

may be i divided the wrong way it came out to 51 cents but i though that was to cheap
Charles Cue

phasthound
10-16-2009, 06:56 PM
when i price fert it is by the the lb in terms of n, not lbs in a bag.

It might be best to price by recommended application rate.

sedge
10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
It might be best to price by recommended application rate.

and your applying what? N for the most part, most of the time.

you would price it via what you are using it for.

if your doing pre emergent then your probably pricing it for the pre emergent amount, if your ferting, then your pricing it for the N for the most part.

most apply at different rates for their program. i personally don't use what is recommended on a fert bag and i go by what is allowed by law on pre-m.

RigglePLC
10-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Dry fert or crabgrass control is cheaper to apply--quicker and equipment is inexpensive (spreader). Also you can more easily apply slow release products in the dry form, slow release nitrogen is cheaper in the dry form.

Liquid is more effective as a weed control.

Heidi J.
10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Granular is so much healthier for a lawn in the long run. It is also more expensive and you make less per app. But the benefits out way it. Granular is a tough sell sometimes, because when some customers want a green lawn.. they want it NOW! And you will not get those results with a granular slow release app. I will never go back to folier apps.

We had to cancel a customer this year (first time ever), because they were with TG for so many years, the liquid apps. had built up their thatch layer to about 2 inches. Nothing we put on, would even get past the thatch layer. They complained their lawn was not green enough. When I suggested a core, they flipped! They said they would think about a power raking, but no core. Well, we quit doing PR's years ago, because we think the cores are more beneficial. Well, of course, this guy knew alot more about lawn care then I did:rolleyes: so, I told him, do a core for the next 2 years or I can't service you, because I will not put chemicals on a lawn that can not benefit from it..

Using all granular for the past 10 years, has made my customers lawns so healthy and lush. :) Not to mention, with the wacky weather we have had here the last few years, using the slow release has been great.

:waving:

phasthound
10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
and your applying what? N for the most part, most of the time.

you would price it via what you are using it for.

if your doing pre emergent then your probably pricing it for the pre emergent amount, if your ferting, then your pricing it for the N for the most part.

most apply at different rates for their program. i personally don't use what is recommended on a fert bag and i go by what is allowed by law on pre-m.

N is a significant price factor for sure. However, if you can provide the same green and turf health with products that reduce the amount of N needed you would recalculate the application rate and save money.