PDA

View Full Version : Size/Brand of compactor

Dirt Boy
10-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Haven't started doing any hardscape work yet, but have helped some. Hoping to add it to my business in the near future. But my question to you all is this.
Focus would be primarily on doing patios, & walkways.
What size of compactor would you purchase?
Reversible plate vs. fixed?
Any particular brand that you favor?
Water tank on unit?
Engine size?

Thanks

LB1234
10-17-2009, 02:03 PM
my opinion,

something that will hit at the minimum for pavers and has or can get a paver mat for it. Would be nice to have a reversible plate (especially for trenches..but I don't see the necessity for you with walks and patios). A 24" plate will be a nice plate size as far as water tank I wouldn't bother. hose works just as good...you aren't doing asphalt right???

we have a mikasa (bought used) that only hits at about 1200# and is 12" plate and a stone silver fox (bought new). Both have been very reliable with minor if any repairs if you keep up the maintenance. Only reason I have the mikasa is for trenches and getting real close to foundations to minimize the use of the hand tamper.

Dirt Boy
10-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks
Not doing asphalt for sure!

And thanks for feedback on the compactor, I used/borrowed a Silver Fox and it worked very nice.
I believe you are supposed to have around 5000 lb compaction rating, but apparently people get by with less, perhaps smaller lifts?

Regards

LB1234
10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
u can get by with smaller compactors for the base by doing smaller lifts but according to ICPI standards (last time I checked) it was something like 5.5k. In the past I've compacted pavers with around 3k or so but there is a HUGE difference between 5 and 3 hitting the pavers. you will ensure interlock with 5 or greater.