PDA

View Full Version : carb settings

milike
10-15-2009, 08:47 PM
hello all

I have a B&S 5.5 hp model #134402 type #0113 01 code #961216yb
i just re built the carb with a complete retro kit and I am having troubles setting the carb screws. main , mixture, adn throttle. :confused:

any one have the intial setting to start with adn a summary how to hone it in??

I am struggling with this one?

Thanks

milike
10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
other info

The bottom bowl screw (main jet?) has no adjusting inner screw, just a large hex nut. that should be snug correct?

so I have only the mixture screw and idle speed screw correct?

Restrorob
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Well milike,

According to the numbers posted you only have a idle speed adjustment and a low speed air/fuel circuit adjuster. The main circuit is fixed jet and non-adjustable.

Turn the air/fuel adjuster in all the way until LIGHTLY seated then back it out 2 turns, This is your starting point. Start the engine and let it warm up a few minutes, Bring it back down it idle which if my memory serves me right should be 1250 rpm range. Now turn the air/fuel mixture screw in or out slowly until the smoothest idle is achieved.

If the engine hesitates for a second when throttled up open the adjuster just a little more until the hesitation subsides.

You posted above while I was typing but your questions were answered anyway.....

milike
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Well milike,

According to the numbers posted you only have a idle speed adjustment and a low speed air/fuel circuit adjuster. The main circuit is fixed jet and non-adjustable.

Turn the air/fuel adjuster in all the way until LIGHTLY seated then back it out 2 turns, This is your starting point. Start the engine and let it warm up a few minutes, Bring it back down it idle which if my memory serves me right should be 1250 rpm range. Now turn the air/fuel mixture screw in or out slowly until the smoothest idle is achieved.

If the engine hesitates for a second when throttled up open the adjuster just a little more until the hesitation subsides.

You posted above while I was typing but your questions were answered anyway.....

What is a good way to check the idle speed??
I do not have a tachometer, do not use often with todays vehicles.
but thought of gettign like a tiny tach.
Is this okay or is there sumthing better/more affordable for very infrequent use?

Restrorob
10-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I've been doing this long enough that I only use MY Tiny Tach (best I've found so far) when adjusting high speed rpms, And that's only if they sound way low or too high.

Just for a quick test the white ground wire doesn't have to be hooked up, In fact I put a larger alligator clip on the lead on mine so it just clips on the plug wire without having to wrap it on.

milike
10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Honestly, I've been doing this long enough that I only use MY Tiny Tach (best I've found so far) when adjusting high speed rpms, And that's only if they sound way low or too high.

Just for a quick test the white ground wire doesn't have to be hooked up, In fact I put a larger alligator clip on the lead on mine so it just clips on the plug wire without having to wrap it on.

did you get the standard 2.5 sec update...

or is teh commercial (think 0.5 second update) the one to get?

oh...i thought the wire needed to WRAP arounf the plug wire to induce a voltage????

thanks

Restrorob
10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
The first one down is the one we use on all our rental equipment and I keep in my tool box, I know it states to wrap the wire but I stumbled across while putting mine on a running engine it didn't have to be. That's when I put the clip on the lead.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

dutch1
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
About 12 years ago when I started my after retirement job in a lawn equipment dealership, I was sent to an Echo equipment update where the Echo techs demonstrated the PET-1100 pulse engine tach manufactured by Oppama. At that time the list price was around $180, but as a perk of attending the update they were offering it at about $80 as I recall. Works on 2 and 4 cycles with 1,2,3,4,6 and 8 cylinders. It is an induction type therefore does not need to be attached to a plug wire although it does come equipped with a plug in adapter and an alligator clip for inaccessable plug wires or for two strokes where a third hand would be handy. In that time I've replaced the battery once. Rarely a day goes by that I don't use it--a well spent $80.

Although it has buttons to make the proper selection for strokes and number of cylinders, more often than not it will pick up the proper rpm's without making a selection. How do it know?:confused

madmower
10-17-2009, 02:37 AM
we have been useing this tacho now for years great piece of kithttp://www.manddsmallengine.com/tinytach/20k.html

milike
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
okay

if i use the gator clip idea....do i put the clip to the metallic part of the plug

or do i just clip it on to the wire???

Restrorob
10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
This is how I done mine, Used like a small battery charger clip.

Slid the insulator off the handle and installed it on the red tach lead, This exposed a band you can slide a wire under then solder it in place (do not solder). I looped the red wire un-stripped of insulation under this band then lightly crimped it down, Then folded the other two bands down onto the wire insulation that helps keep the wire from pulling out.

I left the larger black part of tach lead and the white lead all rolled up and tied as they came, The red lead was plenty long enough for the way I use it.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Misc/TinyTachClip.jpg

Breezmister
10-19-2009, 11:14 PM
That's when I put the clip on the lead.

That is a great idea Thumbs Up