PDA

View Full Version : What Tree is this ??

White Gardens
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Here's some pics that a client sent me. She is wanting to know what kind of tree it is. I'm thinking it's a Forest Pansy Red bud.

Just want to confirm it.

Thanks.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
You got it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
10-17-2009, 08:01 AM
no question it is a redbud, can't tell the scale (size) of leaves real well. But probably is.

mdlwn1
10-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Leaf looks like a red bud...but the form looks like no red bud I've seen.

White Gardens
10-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm almost positive that it is a Forest Pansy redbud, but the leaf size is throwing me off. I might go to town today and take a look at it in person.

I've planted a few forest pansy's and if I remember correctly, the leaves were much bigger.

I do believe it is a red-bud though, just a matter of which one.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Forget the leaf size, look at the color. Forest pansy is only redbud with this color scheme
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Forget the leaf size, look at the color. Forest pansy is only redbud with this color scheme
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but I've planted a few forest pansy's in the last year and all the leaves seemed to be twice the size as the one in the pic. I think I'll have to see it in person to make a correct analysis. It might have to wait until next spring though, as the leaves are turning now.

I'm 85% sure it is a forest pansy, but here is where my logic kicks in.

If it isn't a forest pansy, the color could be due to....

Full exposure to the sun as a red-bud is more of an understory tree
Fert or PH issues,
amount of moisture it is receiving
and if it is diseased or healthy

I've seen some ornamental trees exhibiting some odd colors this year due to all the fungus, disease, heavy rains, and cool temps we've had, so I'm not going to rule anything out this year.

JimLewis
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Yah, definitely a Forest Pansy Redbud. I've seen them in all shapes and sizes. And the leaf color could be due to anything. But regardless, that's a Forest Pansy Redbud if I ever saw one.

White Gardens
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Yah, definitely a Forest Pansy Redbud. I've seen them in all shapes and sizes. And the leaf color could be due to anything. But regardless, that's a Forest Pansy Redbud if I ever saw one.

Hey, thanks Jim. I'm 99.9% sure it is also.

How's your season been ??

JimLewis
11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey, thanks Jim. I'm 99.9% sure it is also.

How's your season been ??

A little up and down. But mostly up. 2009 was WAY better than 2008 in terms of profitability. And we're still landing jobs too. We just landed the 2nd largest install job of the year 2 weeks ago. Great job for this time of year. And landed 2 other larger install jobs as well. We're booked out for most of November right now. I've never been booked up in November before. Maybe a few days or a week out. But business is typically pretty sparse this time of year and we're still signing contracts, doing jobs, and I am still even big bids for installs every day. We even had 2 irrigation system installs in Oct. and 1 in Nov. That almost never happens either. Been a good year overall but great fall so far!

Considering Oregon still has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, I think we've been fairing pretty well.

How 'bout you guys?/

White Gardens
11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Not too bad. It's been more of an up and down year, and it looks like I'll be finishing strong. If it hasn't been the economy, it's been the saoking rains we've had this year.

I'm currently working on my biggest project to date. I keep posting updates in my thread in the pic/vid forum if your interested in seeing.

I'm trying to get everything finished up this year, I'm currently on week 4 of the paver project and I should be done, but the rain has been killing me. I've still got a good 10 days left as long as the weather doesn't go south again.

Glad to hear your having a good season, I've also had more calls for work at the end of the year than I've had all year. It's just a matter doing what I can before the ground freezes. Part of me wonders if people have loosened their belts a little in the last 2 months or so. Previous to that it seemed like I was living in a Landscaping wasteland.

Good to hear from you Jim. Glad to hear things are going better than you expected.

mdvaden
11-19-2009, 06:31 PM
That actually seems to have a pretty good branch structure for a redbud. So many I see are loaded with weak V shape unions. The one in your photo looks pretty solid.