PDA

View Full Version : Setups

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Which setups do you guy's like more when starting out. I know of course everyone says WB, but what about a small ztr, like a 48 or 52 and a 21 push mower, or 48 WB and 21. The 21 is for areas where the ztr or wb can't fit.

I'm thinking with the Z, productivity will skyrocket, and I'd be able to fill the 3 bagger with cleanups and which is substantially more than the 3 or 4 bushel or w.e it is catcher on a WB. I'd be able to finish an account rather than stop, dump the catcher, and then get back going. And, I'd be able to have the JRCO aerator mount as well as the JRCO dethatcher mount. With a WB, they don't recommend having the aerator on a WB because of weight and traction issues.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-16-2009, 03:59 AM
Had to add more....

Of course cost comes into play. Obviously the Z is going to cost more upfront, and maintenance will be more. I'm just starting out so that may not be the best option because a Z is a larger initial investment, but eventually its ROI of the immense amount of work work it can do compared to a WB blows the WB away. Btw, I would be buying used of course. The hard part is figuring out which will be the most productive (the Z obviously), but meet the demands of being cost effective for a start up (which is where the WB comes in). Just like in basic economics, the equilibrium price. Please provide some of you guys' insight.

delphied
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I started with a 44 WB and 21 push. Within a month I knew the WB wasnt gonna get it. I then purchased a 66 Zturn. I used the 44 and 66 and dropped the 21. I then replaced the 44 belt drive with a 48 TTHP which is hydrostatic drive. That was OK but recently replaced the 48 TTHP with a 48 Toro Grandstand. I dont bag clippings. I just bag leaves in the fall and use an Accelerator on the 66 or cloth bagger on the 48. Ive lost only 1 customer because I wouldnt bag clippings. Ive only lost 1 customer due to a gate the 48 wouldnt go through. I am happy with my set up for lawns of all sizes as long as there is no gate.

B Gillespie
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
What about a walker for your Z? Attachment ready and a clean finish. Add a 48-60" stander and a Honda or Toro 21 and you have the perfect start up rig.
Posted via Mobile Device

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I started with a 44 WB and 21 push. Within a month I knew the WB wasnt gonna get it. I then purchased a 66 Zturn. I used the 44 and 66 and dropped the 21. I then replaced the 44 belt drive with a 48 TTHP which is hydrostatic drive. That was OK but recently replaced the 48 TTHP with a 48 Toro Grandstand. I dont bag clippings. I just bag leaves in the fall and use an Accelerator on the 66 or cloth bagger on the 48. Ive lost only 1 customer because I wouldnt bag clippings. Ive only lost 1 customer due to a gate the 48 wouldnt go through. I am happy with my set up for lawns of all sizes as long as there is no gate.

I'm thinking of going with a 60 or 52 ztr. The first LCO I worked for had 4 deere ztr's and 1 21 for fenced areas. To my knowledge he had maybe 3 accounts that needed the 21 and they were in fenced areas. I think a ztr is a much wiser purchase than a wb.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
What about a walker for your Z? Attachment ready and a clean finish. Add a 48-60" stander and a Honda or Toro 21 and you have the perfect start up rig.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll look into the walker. I like the Hi Dump option. That would be perfect for me to get it into the back of my truck. I just don't like the goofy setup of them, the controls are really weird compared the rest of the brands. And idk if I'll get a stander, I'm not much of a fan of them. How do the walkers stripe?

willretire@40
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
36" stander should be your first mower IMO. That is if you are able to afford it.

B Gillespie
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
After a few minutes on the Walker I demoed, I loved the controls. Much better than my Turf Tiger. My girl friend thought it looked lime I was holding my junk.

The demo unit I had was an MT with the 26 efi and high dump. I didn't care for the high dump because it took away from stability. It striped very well, much better than the Wright Stander I demoed, my JD walk behind, Turf Tiger, or the Toro grand stand I demoed. It cut the best out of all of them, but a mulching stander would be more efficient if the property owners were not concerned with a top quality cut or bagging.

Demo a lot of units and see what works for you. I had no idea I would decide on a Walker, I was set on a stander.
Posted via Mobile Device

LouisianaLawnboy
10-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Your on the right track WG! Look at the statistics, ZTR productivity is waaaaaaaaaay better than any walk behind. I see people boasting about 5-6 mph on a w/b, when most commercial ZTR go past 10 mph, and some 15 mph.

Had both and am selling the w/b and got another ZTR.

BTW 48 - 52 is not small.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-16-2009, 11:55 PM
The only thing I have against the Walker is that it's a dedicated bagger, although there is the option to have it discharge out the back, I'm still undecided. I really like the lazer Z 52 or 60, if I can find one for a good price that's what I'm buying, but I do need to demo the walker. The only problem is that there isn't a walker dealer close, but my exmark dealer is 11 or 12 miles away.

mowerbrad
10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I've got both a 60" ztr and a 52" ztr. The 52" is a perfect mower if you don't have multiple size mowers, since it can fit on most lawns ranging from small lawns to large. I'm right now undecided about the 60", it works great for a number of my accounts, but not all of them.

You have to consider what types of lawns you will be cutting. If your doing average size residentials a wb and ztr will take about the same amount of time to mow. But on larger accounts, the ztr will be far more productive.

If you are going to be putting a collection system on the mower be prepared to spend some coin on a ztr system. If you get a 48 or 52 ztr, you will most likely only be able to get a two bag system where with the 60+" ztr you are able to get the three bag system.

lawncuttinfoo
10-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Which setups do you guy's like more when starting out. I know of course everyone says WB, but what about a small ztr, like a 48 or 52 and a 21 push mower, or 48 WB and 21. The 21 is for areas where the ztr or wb can't fit.

I'm thinking with the Z, productivity will skyrocket, and I'd be able to fill the 3 bagger with cleanups and which is substantially more than the 3 or 4 bushel or w.e it is catcher on a WB. I'd be able to finish an account rather than stop, dump the catcher, and then get back going. And, I'd be able to have the JRCO aerator mount as well as the JRCO dethatcher mount. With a WB, they don't recommend having the aerator on a WB because of weight and traction issues.

The jrco "aerator" is a "hookr" aerator, not a real aerator.

XLS
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
if you pocket can handle it go with a 20hp walker with the 10 bushel box and a 48" deck then spend an extra $2200 on a 54" side discharge and durring slow growth times and when weather allows just let it fly and in the fall or when the gras needs bagged swap the decks and bag away . ill bet if you did this you would find yourself always bagging due to the walkers beautifull stripes

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-17-2009, 03:07 PM
The jrco "aerator" is a "hookr" aerator, not a real aerator.

Ok, thanks for the info. And I think I'm gonna focus on a 52 so I can have the double bag and save some money there. But I might still go with the walker.

willretire@40
10-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I think Walkers are for the higher end clients who will pay for the quality and are the best for fall cleanups.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, not all my accounts will be high end and/or wont want to pay for extra for bagging. I'm leaning more towards the lazer z because of that sole reason. Maybe later i could buy a walker for just that purpose...

LouisianaLawnboy
10-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah, not all my accounts will be high end and/or wont want to pay for extra for bagging. I'm leaning more towards the lazer z because of that sole reason. Maybe later i could buy a walker for just that purpose...

Why not mulch everybody yards?
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
10-17-2009, 11:33 PM
well i can say this for walker if they dont want bagged they do go to 74" in the discharge setup also if you guys used them like we do you would invent things
we have 3 or 4 convertable decks we have used in certian yards as a test and they work great for the most part.

topsites
10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
You want to go broke fast, get a Z.
You want to earn an honest living, start with a Walk behind.

flatlander42
10-17-2009, 11:53 PM
"we have 3 or 4 convertable decks"

Ohhhhh, Do tell us more !!!

well i can say this for walker if they dont want bagged they do go to 74" in the discharge setup also if you guys used them like we do you would invent things
we have 3 or 4 convertable decks we have used in certian yards as a test and they work great for the most part.

XLS
10-18-2009, 12:06 AM
well take you imagination and this is a starting point friend
like ask yourself questions like why does walkers ghs deck have all those baffles and yet exmark and bobcat , lasco do not they use a oen deep deck .
* walker mulching deck is open by design compaired to its ghs
so lets see what happens if you .
get it

Think before you jump at someones post
you know what i bet if you take a mulching deck and say cut a hole in its back and connect a tube like the ghs i bet it will work like the other brands
and if you say something stupid like the blades dont throw the grass like the ghs , let me stop you before you state something dumb .
the 52 ghs walker makes , actually rotates backwards from the regular ghs units by throwing the grass forward and the grass aonly goes into the tube after it is mulched due to repeated passes by the tube instead of being throwed down the middle to the tube
and wait if you build a slot on the back ack you can you can just drop a plate into the back wall where your hole was . and wait again i bet if you cut a hole in the right side it will discharge the same as any just a wing nut and your bagging again .

flatlander42
10-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I think you thought I was being Negative....I was not. But thanks for kinda explaining what you ment.

XLS
10-18-2009, 12:13 AM
you wasnt bashing me my bad we have ran walkers for 10 year and i know i have ran alot of things by bob and deans r/d

XLS
10-18-2009, 12:15 AM
i will run a nutty idea by you on here and someone will bash ... we will be building a 32" deck because we need decks smaller then 36" yeah talk about a trick

slamjamrockinman
10-18-2009, 02:24 AM
The equipment really depends on what type of accounts you have. My 44 inch hydro is used on everything but gates and I have a WIDE variety of accts. Everything from a 1.5 acre wide open acct, to a few postage stamps in the city. In other words, the WB is very versatile. But I will admit, the bagging options SUCK for wb's. If I were you start with a cheap 36 belt, there is a lot on craigslist, then upgrade to a bigger Z.

KS_Grasscutter
10-18-2009, 02:50 AM
In my area, a 52" zero turn and a 32" walk behind will productively mow 95% of the lawns. Get your equipment set up, and bid on lawns that you will be productive on, and let others get the rest. You are not gonna want to bid on a 20 acre municipal or industrial campus if you have a 36" Stander. Then again, you are not gonna want to bid on a 2k sf lawn if all you have is a 72" zero turn. It is not really a good idea to get a mower sized for every need because then you lose profitability (don't ask me how I know lol).

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Yeah, when I'm home on thanksgiving from college, I'm gonna survey my area and take a look at the size of lawns I'll be marketing to so I know the size ofthe wat mower's i"ll want....btw guys, excuse imy typing, ive had qiuet a few beers hahaaa

LoneToySoldier
10-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I agree with KS above, I started out this year with a brand new Bobcat 52" ZTR, a Stihl FS 130 and 110R and BG 86 blower, an older Husqvarna 32" WB and have little trouble mowing just about anything. I mow one property that is almost 11 acres with that setup (Its not all grass). Takes a while but it pays very well and I only unload the mower once to make the money instead of mowing one yard an reload and drive somewhere else. I also mow fairly small yards with the same setup. Its a very efficient combination for large and small properties. I recently purchased a 48" Husqvarna WB so that I could bid steeper properties a little better (Including mow my own grass 'cause the ZTR in my yard is dangerous). I didn't just tweak out and buy the biggest and best of everything but what I have is efficient and should last with proper maintenance and responsible operation.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with KS above, I started out this year with a brand new Bobcat 52" ZTR, a Stihl FS 130 and 110R and BG 86 blower, an older Husqvarna 32" WB and have little trouble mowing just about anything. I mow one property that is almost 11 acres with that setup (Its not all grass). Takes a while but it pays very well and I only unload the mower once to make the money instead of mowing one yard an reload and drive somewhere else. I also mow fairly small yards with the same setup. Its a very efficient combination for large and small properties. I recently purchased a 48" Husqvarna WB so that I could bid steeper properties a little better (Including mow my own grass 'cause the ZTR in my yard is dangerous). I didn't just tweak out and buy the biggest and best of everything but what I have is efficient and should last with proper maintenance and responsible operation.

I think the 52 or 60 and either 21 or small wb 32 or 36 is the best setup and will most likely be what I'll go with. How do you like your bobcat? And how do you like your huskys? They say they're commercial but I really don't know, I've never ran either bobcat or husky mowers.