PDA

View Full Version : BR 600 loosing its punch

Drivefaster35
10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I have 4 br 600 all powerfull but I have two that I bought in the spring of 08 and two that I bought in the spring of 09. The two that I bought in 08 are starting to loose its power, still powerfull but only about 70-80% as powerfull as the newer ones are any advice what to do too try and get as much kick out of them as I can. I don't feel like replacing them every couple of years. Thanks :drinkup:

ALC-GregH
10-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Adjust the valves.

Two Seasons
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I've found that using Stihl HP Ultra---the white bottle---and 93 octane gas makes them run stronger.

I'd get the valves adjusted too.

Stillwater
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
All you need to know is in post #3

Drivefaster35
10-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I use the stihl oil that my dealer has in the orange bottle and premium fuel only. Is adjusting the valves something I could do myself. Sometimes my local dealer can be a bit of a let down. One of the blowers I took in to get a new handle put on and asked him to tune it up maybe the carb or something cause I was pretty busy at the time never asked specificlly about the valves but it really doesn't run any better to be honest.

ed2hess
10-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Keep trying to tell you guys this 4mix is not going to last a long time like the 2 stroke unit....don't know why you keep buying them. And when they do have problems they are hard to fix. Go over to the thread open on the two units that are down and help that guy if somebody knows how to fix them.

mowerknower
10-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Number 1 problem, do not run the orange bottle in your 4mix. You should only run the white ultra oil. Since you have been running the orange mix heres what you need to do. Get a bottle of seafoam, remove the air filter, run the blower wide open and dump the seafoam in it until it kills itself. Then adjust the valves and only run the ultra oil in it. Just for fun, after the seafoam, run it in the dark, you will see all the carbon it burns out. Also make sure your blower tip is in good condition, this has the big impact on carbon build up.\

turfrider1020
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
i had the same problem with one i bought this year they had it for 5 weeks said the carbs were bad and they were on backorder for a month so i think it is an issue with some that were bought this year from what i understood
still seems extremly weak for a blower i bought in april

ricky86
10-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Keep trying to tell you guys this 4mix is not going to last a long time like the 2 stroke unit....don't know why you keep buying them. And when they do have problems they are hard to fix. Go over to the thread open on the two units that are down and help that guy if somebody knows how to fix them.

I disagree 100%. Up here they last about three years of heavy commercial use. That equates to about 1000-1200 hrs. They almost pay for themselves over that period in fuel saving. No two cycle, on average, is "better". People buy them because they are the BEST balance of power and weight for the money. But, they have had their share of growing pains. 3rd generation engine is out now. And drivefaster, decarbonize, adjust valves (when cold) and start using (at least) the Super oil in the black bottle, Ultra is best but pricey.