PDA

View Full Version : Same company name!

RABBITMAN11
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I was doing a search for my company on the web. My company is greenworks and another company in area is called greenworks services. Way to close to my company's name. I have paid the secretary of state for past 10 years for the name, anyone else ran into this problem, or have any advice?
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
10-16-2009, 08:03 PM
sorryt o hear that, i know not what to advise to you, but good luck as that sucks. either they are completly ******ed and did not know of your busniess, or are really smart and are able to market this and many folks end up calling them instead of you.

americanlawn
10-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey buddy -- those names are way too similar. We too have our "trade name" registered, so nobody else can use it within our state. I would notify the state of Indiana and tell them what's going on. Cuz that ain't right. :hammerhead: Good luck. :usflag:

nc-jrock
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
americanlawn how do you go about trade marking a company name?
Thanks.

foreplease
10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I looked around Indiana Secretary of State web site hoping they had a search tool – and that it would show you as having registered your name while not finding the other guy at all. If he is completely illegitimate it should be fairly easy to get him to back down. I did not find what I was looking for but these things might interest or help you. It is a lot easier to do these searches for Michigan business names.

DECIDE ON A BUSINESS NAME
Business Name
Indiana Law requires that the name of a Corporation, L.L.C., L.P., and an L.L.P. must be distinguishable from the names of other businesses on the records of the Secretary of State's office (http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/sos-registration/bus_name.html).

It looks like you might have a conflict with your own state, let alone another business. I found this while looking at indian.gov for your name and the other business name:

August 6, 2009
Project Learning Tree (PLT), the environmental education program of the American Forest Foundation, announced today that it awarded GreenWorks! grants to two service-learning projects that bring together students and community partners.
In Indiana, PLT is sponsored by the DNR Division of Forestry.
"These grants support Indiana students committed to helping their communities and the environment," said Donna Rogler, Indiana PLT coordinator.
There is more information and a contact person with phone and e-mail here (http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/41286.htm).

rcreech
10-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Do they offer the same services?

I would be ticked!

First thing I would do is consult my attorney and see what he would advise.

You may be able to then get with the state and if you had the name first...and I would honestly make the other company change their name.

Dunno...that is a tough one!

americanlawn
10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
First thing we did was register our company name (trade name) with the state of Iowa -- that way nobody else could use or copy our name within our state. Soon after, we "incorporated" (nothing to do with trade names). Can't remember how much the fees were, but they were not that expensive. Annual fees as well, but not much.

Back then, we hired an attorney, but today - you could probably do it yourself. Good luck, american. :usflag:

americanlawn how do you go about trade marking a company name?
Thanks.

Hanau
10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Think that's weird, check this out:

http://www.boblatham.com/

What are the odds that there are 2 Bob Lathams on this planet and both of them are landscapers?

Here's mine:

www.bobslawnlandscape.com

Weird huh? This other Bob must be famous because I get mistaken for him at Trade Shows. Although I must say I'm the better looking Bob.

grassman177
10-17-2009, 10:56 AM
i gueess for someone like us it is not as important to register as our own name is our business name. very hard to repicate that one!!!

DynaMow
10-17-2009, 11:13 AM
first off he said he found the likenesses while doing a search for company name. If he searches a little further he would find that they are legal, named is registered, so probably not a whole lot he can do about it.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k189/CraigsMowin/greenworks.jpg

10 years, looks like since 2004 to me?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k189/CraigsMowin/greenworks-1.jpg

The other guy was in 2005, so you are still first. At that point though he probably never heard of you just a coincidence.

BIOGRASS
11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
I may not understand the question but if I am not mistaken anyone could go under greenworks. If they registered the name 1 greenworks, llc he could market the name greenworks, but on legal docs and/or statements the competition would have to put 1 greenworks, llc. In Utah many landscapers have the same name and when they buy things on account it can go to the other company :dizzy: A friend of mine has a company called landscape by design and in Utah we have 5 landscape by design companies :laugh: I think it is best to use a name that is different and is something other lco's will not think of... Sorry that was a long post. I hope that helps...

Tom3982s
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I would call the state, file a complaint there, see if that can get you anywhere...

PROCUT1
11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
If you look up major corporations there is a reason they register their name 100 different ways.

My company was

Pro-Cut Landscaping Inc

However.....Perfectly legal....Someone else could register......

ProCut Landscaping Inc
Pro Cut Landscaping Inc
Pro-Cut Landscaping, Inc
Pro Cut Landscaping, Inc

Each one of those are considered different company names and can legally be registered. Yes, a comma, makes a difference.

My current company I have registered 20 some names to the same corporation to prevent that.

LewisLawn
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I can feel for you, there are several companies in the state of OHIO that are close to the name of my business and several of them bank with the same company I do...unfortunately one time I made a deposit even with the account info it was still deposited in the account of another business, I did get my money returned and deposited in the correct account...but both can be difficult situations to be in...

DynaMow
11-21-2009, 01:14 PM
If you look up major corporations there is a reason they register their name 100 different ways.

My company was

Pro-Cut Landscaping Inc

However.....Perfectly legal....Someone else could register......

ProCut Landscaping Inc
Pro Cut Landscaping Inc
Pro-Cut Landscaping, Inc
Pro Cut Landscaping, Inc

Each one of those are considered different company names and can legally be registered. Yes, a comma, makes a difference.

My current company I have registered 20 some names to the same corporation to prevent that.I think you might want to check this info first!!

PROCUT1
11-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I think you might want to check this info first!!

Do you think I just pulled it out of the air?