PDA

View Full Version : Ants

emby
10-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Thought I would share this one as many of you have probably learned already. Was on site today performing fall maintenance and came across a CM-125 that appeared not to be working. Opened the fixture up and it was completly stuffed full of sand. I mean you would not be able to get another grain of sand in that thing. The light bulb was still working too.
Lesson learned, I am now siliconing all the openings in the stem of lights that I put into the ground. Amazing, those ants must of been working all summer.

Ken

TXNSLighting
10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
It doesnt take them long to get in Fixtures or anything! Ive found em in my path lights a couple times.

Pro-Scapes
10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Funny you mentioned this Ken. 3 weeks ago I had the same exact situation. Its common in the south in a variety of lights but I agree. I have been after Doug for some time to plug up the back of thoes bullets. For 2 years now I have been using high tech high temp sealant in the knuckles of the cm125 and some other lights.

I have found CAST...Kichler....RSL....Nightscaping and Uniques all full of sand. Best thing I have found is a sprinkle of Amdro around lights at maint visits if the beds show any signs of ants.

Alan B
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Another benefit of silicon sealing the base is to prevent ground moisture from entering the fixtures The ground is always damp, with the fixture base being below ground, it is a major source moisture intrusion. (FYI- All VoltPro fixtures on our site are silicon sealed at lead wire exit).

Alan