PDA

View Full Version : Flyer: Suggestions Before IT Goes To Print

drobin
10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Here is the flyer I have been working on with the help of some guys on this site. Suggestions comments appreciated.

HayBay
10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
very nice.

sedge
10-17-2009, 01:57 PM
hate to be picky, but that lawn don't look to good to me..... at least not good enough for a flyer....

mdlwn1
10-17-2009, 01:59 PM
hate to be picky, but that lawn don't look to good to me..... at least not good enough for a flyer....

Well said. I wasnt going to say anything cause its better than 95% of the ones I've seen. Maybe just find some perfect looking stock photo.

drobin
10-17-2009, 02:20 PM
yeah , maybe I can back up the photo so inperfections are less noticable

DynaMow
10-17-2009, 02:42 PM
what that lawn is green and lush. Nope its not striped but that lawn is a very nice lawn, anyone can see that.

sedge
10-17-2009, 03:04 PM
it is not green and it is not flush, there are lots of grey to lightish green/brown shadings. the flyer itself is a nice one, but the lawn in my opinion needs to be a better photo.

DynaMow
10-17-2009, 04:06 PM
it is not green and it is not flush, there are lots of grey to lightish green/brown shadings. the flyer itself is a nice one, but the lawn in my opinion needs to be a better photo.yeah I guess I see that better now.

turf hokie
10-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with the above posts in that the lawn does look a bit off color in spots. Overall very nice.

Nobody noticed that "Guaranteed" and "equipment" and "operated" are all spelled wrong? Potential customers will question "Turf Doctor's" knowledge. Also, you should add "a" before "free soil analysis"

And the opening line about the lawn being attacked is directly from a Scott's radio ad.....

And dont be surprised if someday the green thumb company has an issue with your name. I think RIC had a problem with that.

Sorry, had to look a little deeper than just the pic of the lawn.

Bryan

drobin
10-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Wow, Im really not illiterate -I promise. lol This flyer looks like TURF DOCTOR dropped out of school in the third grade.LOL
This is exactly why I did this, im getting excellent feedback for improvement.
About the name, I'm curious to hear more because in NY I was isssued a DBA because no one else in the county is operating under this name. I know that doesn't exclude me from a lawsuit. Did he have to go to court?

phasthound
10-18-2009, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=drobin;3236091
About the name, I'm curious to hear more because in NY I was isssued a DBA because no one else in the county is operating under this name. I know that doesn't exclude me from a lawsuit. Did he have to go to court?[/QUOTE]

A client of mine is going through the name battle right now with a different franchise company. His company was formed and registered in the state before the franchise, but he's going to have to change his name. They're staying out of court, but he has large attorney fees. It's hard to fight the big boys.

drobin
10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Do you think Doctor Turf would also be a problem?

turf hokie
10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I think anything with "doctor" "dr" etc may be an issue. Not saying it will be, but could be.

grassman177
10-18-2009, 10:28 AM
where is your ppe dude???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would get another pic with all the gear as to present a proper and professinal look.oh and legal! i like the idea and the pose. nice job

Heidi J.
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
where is your ppe dude???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would get another pic with all the gear as to present a proper and professinal look.oh and legal! i like the idea and the pose. nice job

No.. you don't want PPE in a picture on a flyer.. Why make the customers think of the dangers instead of concentrating on the beautiful looking lawn.

The grass does need to be changed though. Also, I would take out *small* and just leave locally owned and operated. No matter how big or small your company is, your emphasis is on customer service.

As for the lawsuit.. who knows now a days. We were sued by a local flower shop by the same name, and nothing happened. Although I get orders for flowers on a weekly basis :) Especially since, we added a new phone number a few years ago, and it is only one number off from the floral shop..:laugh:

A few spelling error corrections, and I think you will have a nice flyer. What are tou putting on the other side? Customers love coupons!

:waving:

drobin
10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
This turf doctor name is actually something that I just swithched over to but it looks like ill be switching again. Origionally it was ecoturf but this name doesn't really make it clear as to what I do, which is applications only no mowing. When someone sees a sign that says Turf Doctor I think it is clear. That was my reasoning. I agree that anything with Doctor, DR. may be inviting battles which I'm in no position to handle. Name suggestions with this doctor theme would be appreciated.

EcoGreen Services
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Dave,
I'm new to the site but not this situation.
As someone who has just gone through a name change recently check to see if the name you're looking at is already a registered trademark.
In the US do a search at http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp
I know nothing about the process in the US but in Canada it's only about $450 in total and once you apply no one else can register the name as long as you keep in current.

Think long term, what if your business really takes of and you want to franchise in the future ?. Without trademark protection anyone can use your name and you could end up in a expensive court battle.

The reason we chose the name we did was to allow for future diversification into other areas and to avoid trademark conflict, We currently do a lot more than mowing.

Another thing I would add is about your licenses and insurance coverage. In Ontario there was a court decision against a homeowner that hired a local 15 year old kid to cut his grass. The kid was using his Dads riding mover which rolled in a ditch landing on him and he was paralyzed for life. The decision was for $4,000,000 against the homeowner who only had $2,000,000 in liability coverage.

With new customers that complain we are more expensive than Billy down the road, we point out about their liability in that situation and the fact that all our staff are insured and covered my Workers Compensation.

Personally I wouldn't worry about showing all you equipment, Unless your equipment offers some type of competitive advantage. Most customers are only concerned with the results. We use "greener" equipment than the competition and now promote this.

RigglePLC
10-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Great first line, Dave. Keep trying to get a better picture sometime during the next year, (while wearing gloves and safety glasses). I always try to take my pictures on a cloudy or even dark day--the grass just looks greener. Sunlight spoils the green effect. If you can get a dark sky, that helps. If you can get a flower or bush in the foreground near the camera, it gives the pic nice depth. Do you need a hat--what does New York state require in personal protective equipment? You don't want the State boys looking at your pic if you are not following the law. Where is your caution sign?

On the back side there may be a good opportunity to show a pic of an ugly grub, or a heavy weed infestation, just to scare the customer about what could happen if they don't take care of their lawn.

Try to find a sales point that shows how you are better than the biggest company in town.

turf hokie
10-18-2009, 02:06 PM
He is not spraying or spreading anything in the picture. It is merely a PR photo op. Leave it the way it is.

drobin
10-18-2009, 06:17 PM
If you register the trade name will that deter one from a lawsuit since you went through the proper channells?

RigglePLC
10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Does your state or label require long sleeves when spraying or applying crabgrass control? Rubber boots? I love equipment. I can see you do, also--and that is great equipment--HOWEVER--most people do not even know that it is a fertilizer spreader. And most have no idea that it can also spray weeds. To most of the women it looks like an aerator or garden tractor. Try to think of ways that you are better than that lower priced big company. What is in it for the customer? Why should they switch?
Example: Better guarantee? Quicker service? Higher quality weed product? Safer? Greener? Less odor? Higher quality fertilizer? More experience or training? Better equipment? Fluent in English? Only one person to deal with? More than just a customer number, personal service? Contact by cell phone or email anytime? Free soil test? Seed available in fall? (or anytime?) Free (or cheap) nutsedge control? Free or cheap mole control? Lime at nominal cost? Other freebies?

Heidi J.
10-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Does your state or label require long sleeves when spraying or applying crabgrass control? Rubber boots? I love equipment. I can see you do, also--and that is great equipment--HOWEVER--most people do not even know that it is a fertilizer spreader. And most have no idea that it can also spray weeds. To most of the women it looks like an aerator or garden tractor. Try to think of ways that you are better than that lower priced big company. What is in it for the customer? Why should they switch?
Example: Better guarantee? Quicker service? Higher quality weed product? Safer? Greener? Less odor? Higher quality fertilizer? More experience or training? Better equipment? Fluent in English? Only one person to deal with? More than just a customer number, personal service? Contact by cell phone or email anytime? Free soil test? Seed available in fall? (or anytime?) Free (or cheap) nutsedge control? Free or cheap mole control? Lime at nominal cost? Other freebies?

You have to watch TMI (too much info). This is a simple flyer to grab the eye of the customer, and get the name recognition. Flyers should always be KIS (keep it simple). Now a brochure is a different matter. But offering something free is a good thing, it will draw them in.

While I agree, having a stand up on there may be confusing to some, a guy standing there with a spreader would work good too. I have alot of people ask not to be done with a stand-up, because they think they don't do a good enough job. So you have a good argument there.

But honestly, If he changed it to include PPE, whether it is just gloves and safety glasses.. That would make a *potential* customer think twice, especially those with children and pets. As a consumer, it would really make me wonder about the chemicals being used and so forth. No body is going to get busted for sending a flyer out with out PPE.

JMO

Rayholio
10-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't include the machine.. Z spray may be your favorite part of your business.. but it has zero value to the customer. you either need a picture of your truck (to develope associative advetizing.. (when they see your truck, they know that they have YOUR number at home in the junk mail pile / kitchen table) OR you need a photo showing the benefits of service (family having fun on the lawn.)

Common customers are turned off by equipment. They don't want to see sprayers, and they don't even really want to see technitions. they want to see results, and have their lives improved.

Mimic what Tru-Green and other major companies do in their advertizing.. They have spent millions figuring out the 'perfect' approach.. There's a reason all their trucks are enclosed, and not one of their ads has hose pullin' monkeys featured...

Rayholio
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
also, it's obvious that the photo has been doctored.. VERY bad to see repeating patterns in the grass.. (What? can't this guy make a REAL lawn green??)

mdlwn1
10-18-2009, 11:01 PM
He is not spraying or spreading anything in the picture. It is merely a PR photo op. Leave it the way it is.

This.........

And funny about the spelling Hokie...I just dont see spelling while reading.

bigshow825
10-19-2009, 03:01 AM
it aint perfect but sure looks like your trying. i like it.could use some tweaking, but it looks great

Runner
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I like Ray's two posts, as they carry alot of factual value (as usual).
However, now....And I REALLY hate to be the one to toss such a large wrench into the spokes, but once someone from a Lawn Doctor franchise sees this, their attorneys are going to be all over you like flies on (well, you get the idea). We have a member here who went through the same EXACT thing with them, and he had his name much longer. I don't remember who it was, but we watched the saga as it unfolded...step by step...right from the first letter he got from their legal team. They put him over a barrel and costed him alot of money. He put up a good fight, but did not prevail. They are stern over this, and don't mess around.
Like I say,...I'm not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm trying to help. You can change it now, while you have little invested, or change it later. It's all up to you...But I CAN about guarantee you...sooner of later, it will get to them...Either by the first franchisee within a 50 mile radius of you, or by chance of them researching names.

drobin
10-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, I thought if I had rights to a tradename that i'd be clear but it sounds like the lawyers are so relentless that eventually they tap your finances through lawyers fees. Guess I'll look for a new name, im not going to be pigheaded in this situation. Ray and runner good comments. What is appealing to me and the customer could be totally apart. Its tough separating yourself from the big chains but at the same time doing what is proven to work. Do you see dilemma?

Rayholio
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Equipment in advertizing..

I took my unused Zspray to the big homeshow last season.. I used the hopper to collect drawing entrys. No doubt about it.. MEN.. especially older men gravitated twards it. Having not seen it in action, the 1st question was almost always.. 'what is it?' other common comments.. "I bet that sure mows a lot of grass!" and "That's some spreader!" .. "You must have some BIG lawns!" and then of course "How much do you charge to do my 10 acre cow field with that?"

Now.. there's a lot to this.. The people who stopped were rarely potential customers.. They wasted my time, that should have been spent on someone wanting lawn care.. Think of the people who DIDN'T stop to talk about it.. They figured that I was a mower guy.. or maybe that I do commercial only.. or perhaps that I don't do small residential.. Think of the full HALF of the audience that was totally turned off by it.. Women. Women generally don't like anything with an engine.. They especially don't care how fast you can do the job.. the longer the better percieved value. And who do you think REALLY makes the choice to have a green lawn? It's usually not the guy.

So.. I took about 25% of my available real estate (much like the flier above) and devoted it to this machine which inspired more confusion than modivation to buy.. And I'll never do it again.

My modivation to taking it was that I was proud to have it. I thought this nice new machine would make me look more like a 'large' 'trust worthy' company. but I drive by slums every day with '09 hummers sitting out front.. Anyone can get a loan.. I just wasn't thinking.

phasthound
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Equipment in advertizing..

I took my unused Zspray to the big homeshow last season.. I used the hopper to collect drawing entrys. No doubt about it.. MEN.. especially older men gravitated twards it. Having not seen it in action, the 1st question was almost always.. 'what is it?' other common comments.. "I bet that sure mows a lot of grass!" and "That's some spreader!" .. "You must have some BIG lawns!" and then of course "How much do you charge to do my 10 acre cow field with that?"

Now.. there's a lot to this.. The people who stopped were rarely potential customers.. They wasted my time, that should have been spent on someone wanting lawn care.. Think of the people who DIDN'T stop to talk about it.. They figured that I was a mower guy.. or maybe that I do commercial only.. or perhaps that I don't do small residential.. Think of the full HALF of the audience that was totally turned off by it.. Women. Women generally don't like anything with an engine.. They especially don't care how fast you can do the job.. the longer the better percieved value. And who do you think REALLY makes the choice to have a green lawn? It's usually not the guy.

So.. I took about 25% of my available real estate (much like the flier above) and devoted it to this machine which inspired more confusion than modivation to buy.. And I'll never do it again.

My modivation to taking it was that I was proud to have it. I thought this nice new machine would make me look more like a 'large' 'trust worthy' company. but I drive by slums every day with '09 hummers sitting out front.. Anyone can get a loan.. I just wasn't thinking.

The best advice I can share about marketing landscaping is to aim towards the woman of the house.

drobin
10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I guess if Im being honest my wife has huge influence in our decisions. Yeah ray i guess their is some pride with the machine and i agree most woman will have no idea what this machine is, Very interesting comments, im having a hard time finding a nice lawn maybe I have to look for a stock photo instead?

LBZFAN
10-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Drobin- Nice job on the ad, you should be in advertising rather than lawn care. I can agree with some here about the mis-spellings, and the equipment pictures. Customers dont care about your equipment, They want a local guy that does a nice job. But they also want a competative price. Just remember that and incorporate it into your revisions. Just my 2c.

Heidi J.
10-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I guess if Im being honest my wife has huge influence in our decisions. Yeah ray i guess their is some pride with the machine and i agree most woman will have no idea what this machine is, Very interesting comments, im having a hard time finding a nice lawn maybe I have to look for a stock photo instead?

I know what you mean about the picture.. I looked through thousands when i did my truck:dizzy: Then because we were blowing it up, none that I selected would work:hammerhead:

It's great to see all the comments and the help being offered to you:)

Good luck!:waving:

phasthound
10-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I know what you mean about the picture.. I looked through thousands when i did my truck:dizzy: Then because we were blowing it up, none that I selected would work:hammerhead:

It's great to see all the comments and the help being offered to you:)

Good luck!:waving:

Excellent point! Some times it pays to have a pro work on it for you.

tlg
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
If your going to do a flyer or mailer by all means get your truck ( well lettered with logo etc...) on it. I assume that you will target areas that you already work in. You want potential customers to recognize your flyer with the truck they saw in the neighborhood working. Believe me you will get more work off a highly visible truck than a lot of other advertising avenues. The flyer needs to re enforce that. They way I see it your truck should be in the background and you pushing a spreader across the lawn ( a ride-on just looks intimidating) . The name issue scares me as well. Your asking for trouble. Come up with something else before you get in too deep.