PDA

View Full Version : this label is confusing, can you or can you not use it for turf?

sedge
10-17-2009, 02:07 PM
it clearly states that users who wish to use it for plant species NOT listed may do so but at their own risk. so, can it be used for turf grasses then?

Treatment of Species Not Listed on the Label for Showcase
Users who wish to use Showcase on plant species not recommended on
this label may determine the suitability for use by treating a small number
of such plants at a recommended rate. Prior to treatment of larger areas,
the treated plants should be observed for any sign of herbicidal injury
during 30 to 60 days of normal growing conditions to determine if the
treatment is safe to the target plant species. The user assumes
responsibility for any plant damage or other liability resulting from
use of Showcase on plant species not recommended on this label.

HayBay
10-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Showcase by DowAgro.

Hi Sedge, Here is the Label I found on the Internet.
http://www.dowagro.com/webapps/lit/litorder.asp?filepath=turf/pdfs/noreg/010-60322.pdf&pdf=true

If this is indeed the product you are discussing in your thread, the information listed indicated for ORNAMENTAL USE specifically for nurseries.

Active Ingredient: trifluralin + isoxaben + oxyfluorfen

Profile:

Showcase™ specialty herbicide provides ornamental growers with preemergence broad-spectrum control of both tough grassy and broadleaf weeds.

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/showcase.htm

sedge
10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
yes, that is where i got the part i posted from. yes it is listed as ornamental but clearly states that it can be used for plants species not listed, so, can you or can you not use it on species not listed such as turf grasses:confused::confused::confused:

HayBay
10-17-2009, 03:21 PM
It is listed as Nursery on the INFOSHEET look in the top left corner of the Label .pdf it says Nursery.

But you could contact Dow to confirm.

It does say you can use in on species not listed.

It’s a great tool for controlling weeds in
container and field-grown ornamentals, nursery stock,
nonbearing fruit and nut trees, and noncropland areas.

sedge
10-17-2009, 03:27 PM
yep, know all that. still it is not clear if you can use it on turf to my thinking, but i was wrong once before......:laugh: well okay, 2 times......:waving:

phasthound
10-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's the complete label. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6TK006.pdf

Many weeds are listed, but it is confusing regarding unlisted weeds. I can't recall a label that makes a statement like this. Usually anything not listed is an off label use and requires an exception granted by the state it is being applied in. However, nowhere does the label mention the product is approved for residential turf grass.

I suggest you contact the responsible dept in your state to see if it is registered for the use you are concerned about. Information you receive on this forum may not be accurate. Why take the chance?

sedge
10-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's the complete label. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6TK006.pdf

Many weeds are listed, but it is confusing regarding unlisted weeds. I can't recall a label that makes a statement like this. Usually anything not listed is an off label use and requires an exception granted by the state it is being applied in. However, nowhere does the label mention the product is approved for residential turf grass.

I suggest you contact the responsible dept in your state to see if it is registered for the use you are concerned about. Information you receive on this forum may not be accurate. Why take the chance?

yes, of course, but was wondering what eevry ones thoughts were.

phasthound
10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
yes, of course, but was wondering what eevry ones thoughts were.

Well when interpreting pesticide labels it's the law that counts, not what everyone thinks. Right?

sedge
10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Well when interpreting pesticide labels it's the law that counts, not what everyone thinks. Right?

this is a forum for asking questions and such, so said question was posted for such......nothing more and nothing less

greendoctor
10-18-2009, 03:55 AM
No. I also have doubts that the turf will tolerate the oxyfluorfen and trifluralin. Both of those herbicides are very good for stopping grass. For one thing, oxyfluorfen burns the heck out of any green vegetation it touches, including leaves, green stems and probably stolons of warm season grasses. Trifluralin is the last thing I would want in a lawn because it is a more severe root pruner than Pre-M. I know the two are chemical cousins, but the extent of effect is not the same. Were there any particular weeds you were targeting in turf? I can think of some legal, labeled and effective alternatives if I knew what kind of weeds were in the crosshairs.

nik
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
No. Can't be used on turf.

You generally get choices on labels for grass: Lawn or turf. There are/were products labeled for turf farms that did not allow use on lawns.

Fairways or greens are sometimes listed. and even though you could use them on those sites, but if they don't specifically mention lawn or turf, then your straying into to "can't do it" area. When a label states plants, it means pretty much any ornamental vegetation, except grass.

Any label that says it if or controlling weeds such as annual grasses is another hint that you maight not wantto get it near turf or lawn areas.