PDA

View Full Version : What is 50:1 ratio Oil on Weed Trimmer

vomeisentor
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I have 2 cycle (?) STIHL FS 110R, and it says to give 50:1 ration oil and gasoline. What is this??? I mean how do I mix it up? I used to just get an one bottle of tiny oil into 1 gallon of gasoline tank and mix with a gasoline shake it and good to go.... now what do I have to do differently? ( I also have STIHL FS85R, and Craftsman chain saw) that I use and use the same mix to operate them. STIHL 110R is new stock I just got from some one and now readilng the manual on it and found this 50:1 ration thing.......

Oh, also is it true you can get WARNING yellow operation sticker that goes to the shaft on my Stihl weed trimmer fre at any Stihl dealer??

Hanau
10-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Look at the small bottles in the picture. That's two stroke oil. They have different sizes for different gas cans. If you use a 2.5 gallon can you use a smaller bottle than a 5 gallon gas can. Your Stihl dealer will sell you the right size bottle for the gas can you use.

VegetiveSteam
10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
50:1 means for every 50 ounces of gasoline you need to mix in 1 ounce of oil. If you are using a 1 gallon gas can you would take 128 ounces (1 gal) divided by 50 = 2.56.

Alan0354
10-19-2009, 02:05 AM
I have 2 cycle (?) STIHL FS 110R, and it says to give 50:1 ration oil and gasoline. What is this??? I mean how do I mix it up? I used to just get an one bottle of tiny oil into 1 gallon of gasoline tank and mix with a gasoline shake it and good to go.... now what do I have to do differently? ( I also have STIHL FS85R, and Craftsman chain saw) that I use and use the same mix to operate them. STIHL 110R is new stock I just got from some one and now readilng the manual on it and found this 50:1 ration thing.......

Oh, also is it true you can get WARNING yellow operation sticker that goes to the shaft on my Stihl weed trimmer fre at any Stihl dealer??

Read the oil bottle you use to fix for your other stuffs, it should say 2.6 oz. You mix 2.6 oz to one gallon, you get 50:1. This will be the same amount of oil for you old stuff and the new 4Mix trimmer. The thing more important is you should use Stihl Ultra ( white bottle) or Amsoil for the 4Mix. Synthetic is better for your older stuff anyway. Just mix 2.6 oz bottle of Stihl Ultra to one gallon of 89 octane or higher gas, Shake it good and you are good to go.

Gravel Rat
10-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Buy nothing but Stihl mix oil it is all I use in my Stihl equipment been doing so for the last 12 years never had a carburetor problem and its always worked for me.

I buy the bottles for 2.5 gallons of gas its easy no thinking no measuring dump the oil into my gas can put 93 octane gas in to the right amount. I use the gauge on the gas pump not the full line on the gas can.

I like to mix my gas a little on the rich side so little less gas not much. My mix it says you need 10 litres of gas I put in 9.8 litres of gas.

Never use the fill line on a gas can it isn't accurate especially if you gas can has expanded ie left in the sun it creates pressure inside and stretches the plastic.

I'am particular with my gas for my saws I got that from working with fallers. Keep things clean and keep your fuel mix accurate so you don't burn up a saw.

vomeisentor
10-19-2009, 11:31 PM
You guys are AWESOME!!! thank you so much! I will do just that!!!! One tiny STIHL bottle oil Just got from a STHIL authorized service dealer and they told me the exactly the same thing!!! Meaning one tiny mix with 1 gallon would be fine just like my other STIHL FS85R and Chansaw! 4-mix engine still is 2 cycle, (I needed to make sure what this was about), basically emission control for better environment they changed from 2 cycle to 2 cycle 4 mix!

DT Lawn Care
10-20-2009, 09:58 PM
4-mix engine still is 2 cycle, (I needed to make sure what this was about), basically emission control for better environment they changed from 2 cycle to 2 cycle 4 mix!

Just to clear it up a little for you, 4-mixes are basically a normally 2-stroke + valves. Normal 2-strokes don't have valves, 4-mixes do.

vomeisentor
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you!!!! Very helpful, but why amsoil ? I thought they were for 4 cycle engines ?

DT Lawn Care
10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Thank you!!!! Very helpful, but why amsoil ? I thought they were for 4 cycle engines ?

Haha, Amsoil makes all different types of oil. 2-cycle, 4-cycle, hydro, trans, etc. I have never heard a bad thing about Amsoil BTW, aside from the price.

LouisianaLawnboy
10-21-2009, 12:46 AM
50:1 meansyou mix half oil with half gas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
10-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I was told quite a few years ago by Stihl mechanics if you use the oil made for Stihl you will have very few problems.

You know what they were right. Years previous I used basic 2 stroke oil and it never performed like the Stihl oil.

Myself I buy Stihl mix oil a dozen at a time. When I was in the firewood business I would use up 2.5 gallons in 2 days.

AmsoilPower
10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
50:1 meansyou mix half oil with half gas.
Posted via Mobile Device

What?????????????

DT Lawn Care
10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
What?????????????

I think that was sarcasm, or else he would be wondering why his equipment doesn't run.

LouisianaLawnboy
10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
What?????????????

Don't question. I'm buying the oil from you. Jk.

Just messing with whoever started this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

LouisianaLawnboy
10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I think that was sarcasm, or else he would be wondering why his equipment doesn't run.

Nope. That's what my repair guy told me. That and bringing all the equipment in every week for a tune up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cleve
10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I bought my last Stihl chainsaw back in the early 90s from a supplier to the commercial tree industry that sold Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws. They recommended using the Husky oil at the time. Seems it had a good color that showed up more easily back then.
Been using it since then at the 50:1 ratio for everything from Crafstman to Lawnboy,Echo and Redmax. Everything get fueled form the same can. Never had any problems with any of them since then. Keep in mind that these machiines had rations that varied from 16:1 to 50:1 and everything in between.

Jay Ray
10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I was told quite a few years ago by Stihl mechanics if you use the oil made for Stihl you will have very few problems.

You know what they were right. Years previous I used basic 2 stroke oil and it never performed like the Stihl oil.

Myself I buy Stihl mix oil a dozen at a time. When I was in the firewood business I would use up 2.5 gallons in 2 days.

Stihl Ultra is not that much more than cheap big box or Dollar General stuff. I buy the 12-paks (or is it 10-pak?) every time I walk in the dealer. Never any problems, but they know I don't feed my stuff bad grub if there are any.

STIHL GUY
10-25-2009, 03:30 AM
if i were you i would run the HP Ultra in your trimmer. (white bottles) i run this with 93 octane gas and have been pretty sucessful

Alan0354
10-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Just to clear it up a little for you, 4-mixes are basically a normally 2-stroke + valves. Normal 2-strokes don't have valves, 4-mixes do.

Stihl 4Mix and Shindaiwa C4 and 4 cycle engines!!!! Period.

The difference between these and the normal 4 cycles is these have no crankcase oil. You use oil mix like a 2 cycle. The mix travel through the crankcase like the regular 2 cycle engine and lubricate the internal parts so no crankcase oil is needed. That's the only difference. 4 cycle is one combussion in two revolutions.

Green Industry Pro
12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
50:1 means for every 50 ounces of gasoline you need to mix in 1 ounce of oil. If you are using a 1 gallon gas can you would take 128 ounces (1 gal) divided by 50 = 2.56.
What he said-LOLZ.It is 50 parts gas to 1 part oil.50:1 is much easier to mix than 32:1 because its one 2.56oz. oil bottle per gallon of gas.