PDA

View Full Version : Question on Scag Vac system

jimspro
10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a 3 of 4yr old Scag vac system on a Turf Tiger. I went to hook the vac system up today and when i engaged the pto, it threw the belt off right away. I did check to make sure the impeller inside the vac wasn't froze up, it does move but not really easy. I am going to take it to the dealer tomarrow, but does anyone know if the impeller and bearing are changeable, it does look like the bearing is bolted to the outside case. I'm afraid they are going to tell me i have to get a complete new unit. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks

ALC-GregH
10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
The bearings are cheap. Order new ones and replace them. It doesn't take very long. The impeller should spin free.

jimspro
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info, i hate spending big money before i make a dime doing cleanups

timberbrook
10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I have a 3 of 4yr old Scag vac system on a Turf Tiger. I went to hook the vac system up today and when i engaged the pto, it threw the belt off right away. I did check to make sure the impeller inside the vac wasn't froze up, it does move but not really easy. I am going to take it to the dealer tomarrow, but does anyone know if the impeller and bearing are changeable, it does look like the bearing is bolted to the outside case. I'm afraid they are going to tell me i have to get a complete new unit. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks

Sometimes the inside of the housing gets crudded up with dirt and grass. It sets up like cement but can be scraped out. You may also use pressure washer but use caution not to blow water into those bearings. Lets hope it is this and not the bearings gone bad.

jimspro
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
the housing is pretty clear, was a little grass clippings in it, but it was not restricting the movement, i think it is a bearing, unfortunately the guys i had working for me last fall, i don't think they greased it at all. But the bearing is replaceable?

ALC-GregH
10-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes.........

LB1234
10-18-2009, 11:35 PM
about a year and a half ago we hit the housing on ours. it would work and then all of a sudden the belt would come off in the middle of the cleanup. We wind up bending the piece of metal on the housing. If I recall it was about 125 bucks and was a bolt on. I did have to take the housing to a welder so he could heat it up with a torch and bend the housing back. that was about 30 bucks.

the biggest problem is actually findind out what the problem is. It doesn't seem like it would be the impellar...sounds like a pulley or something is not lined/lining up correctly. Ours has adjustments that can be made with some wrenches.

good luck.

jimspro
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks again to all, I'll sleep better tonight

timberbrook
10-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks again to all, I'll sleep better tonight

Good luck my friend. Let us know what the issue with the impeller was, thanks.

jimspro
10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
took the unit to our local scag dlr, he replaced the impeller bearing and 1 pully, and adjusted the rear closure linkage.$197.00 later and i'm ready to go suck some leaves, thanks for the advise, and hope you have a profitable fall and winter.