PDA

View Full Version : Lawn renovation

pdenney11
10-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a customer that recently asked me for a bid on a complete renovation on her lawn. Currently the lawn is 100% covered in weeds. The soil is very hard and has a lot of large rock in it. There are large bare spots where rocks are present in the soil leaving no room for grass to grow. My question is should I bring in new soil or till the existing and remove all of the rocks?
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
At this point I think it too late to put in a lawn. Also, you have to see what kind of soil you're working with. If it all clay then you would have to bring in a compost top soil mix if in fact the existing soil is poor.

Secondly, if their are that many rocks then rent a soil cultivator which would turn over the existing area and bury the rocks for you. Obviously, if they are large rocks remove them.

pdenney11
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't do this job till spring. She is taking the contractor to court for the yard being in such poor shape becaus it was a new construction. It is 7500 sqft. It would be alot of topsoil to bring in and if I can get around doing that and getting the existing back in good shape that would be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't do this job till spring. She is taking the contractor to court for the yard being in such poor shape becaus it was a new construction. It is 7500 sqft. It would be alot of topsoil to bring in and if I can get around doing that and getting the existing back in good shape that would be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't do any work for someone involved in litigation. Especially if its in regards to landscaping.

I also would never install a lawn or renovate a lawn in the Spring. If that's what you are going to plan on doing as you stated above, you're going to be the next one in court getting sued over how bad the lawn looks.

pdenney11
10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't do any work for someone involved in litigation. Especially if its in regards to landscaping.

I also would never install a lawn or renovate a lawn in the Spring. If that's what you are going to plan on doing as you stated above, you're going to be the next one in court getting sued over how bad the lawn looks.

I told her that I didn't have the equipment to take on the job. She still wants me to write her a bid to take to court with her wether we do the job or not. She said she would pay me for my time to write the bid. Should I even mess with it or tell her no?
Posted via Mobile Device

foreplease
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Do not get involved!

B.H.
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
RUN! not worth the hassel!:walking:

LawnSolutionsCP
10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I would listen.

It is way too late to do it correctly.

If you do it next year, you need a minimum of 4" of soil for grass to grow and thrive. If you hav a thin layer it will come in and look good for the fall, but next summer the sun will heat up the rock and bake the grass as well as dry out the lawn in a few hours.

pdenney11
10-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I would listen.

It is way too late to do it correctly.

If you do it next year, you need a minimum of 4" of soil for grass to grow and thrive. If you hav a thin layer it will come in and look good for the fall, but next summer the sun will heat up the rock and bake the grass as well as dry out the lawn in a few hours.

She just wants me to give her a bid to take to court for now. I wouldnt go through the trouble at all but she has been a good mowing client for me this year and one of my mothers co-workers. I feel bad for her since she spent 150k on this new home and was promised a good lawn and never got it from the contractor. I would like to help her out so she can get the yard she wants.

ron mexico75
10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
She just wants me to give her a bid to take to court for now. I wouldnt go through the trouble at all but she has been a good mowing client for me this year and one of my mothers co-workers. I feel bad for her since she spent 150k on this new home and was promised a good lawn and never got it from the contractor. I would like to help her out so she can get the yard she wants.

Then write the bid. We (members on lawnsite) gave you advice not to do it and you seem to feel like you still want to get involved.

pdenney11
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I turned down the bid and the job this morning.
Posted via Mobile Device