PDA

View Full Version : what TILLER to buy?

Somthinrandm
10-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Ok so i want to invest in a used rear tine tiller and i want the biggest bang for my buck. I don't want to buy a mini Cultivator cause i can do that that stuff with my pick and arms lol. I want a rear tine i think because of the control. Front tines have always bounced around to much for me. What brand is everyone had the best success with, Troy built, Craftsmen, yard machines, cub cadet, etc. Ive heard that the troy built is the one to get, but there are so many models, (horse, Superbronco, bronco, pony, Tuffy) GEEZE! any thoughts Thanks to all! :)

Dreams To Designs
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Troybilt was one of the best, than MTD bought them...

Check for availability of service and parts and the type of engine you prefer and your selections should be limited to a few quality manufacturers.

Don't discount a mini tillers ability to break up soils and mix in amendments, especially around existing plantings. I will always have a mini tiller and rent a large tiller according to the needs of a project.

Kirk

Somthinrandm
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
that makes sense. I did hear that troy built used to be really nice but then MTD screwed them up. The reason im thinking about purchasing a tiller is for rotating annual flower beds, digging footings for rock walls, and breaking up clay so that its easier to shovel up to build a terraceing etc. What functions would i use a mini tiller for more than i couldn't use a regular size tiller for. Thankyou for your input kirk.

Dreams To Designs
10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
The mini works great for tilling around existing plants, especially the roots. It's much easier to maneuver and get into tight places. Have used the mini to break up soil for drainage installation as well as prepping seed beds or planting areas. Often a large rear tine tiller is to big for many areas.

Just as you have a Stihl backpack blower and a walk behind, they each have their place.

Kirk

Somthinrandm
10-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I understand, thankyou for your input :)
ill start looking into those mantis's mini tillers

mdlwn1
10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
The mini's are great for flower beds. Do understand that the clutch will burn out quickly if you are hitting rocks or anything that will jam the machine consistently. It's not a big deal..dont mean to discourage you...just part of the the process.

david shumaker
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I just bought a Honda Mini Tiller from Home Depot for $349.00 + tax. A large tiller is too big for small areas. I've also got an Echo and Stihl also makes them. They are great for renovating small lawn areas and beds. I also use mine when aerating. I use it on the slopes and spots that the aerator won't get to. The tiller will slice slits in the ground if you run it lightly along the ground and the seed will fall into the slits. I also use it for large bare spots on aerating jobs. They work best when ground is not mushy or rock hard.

FLAhaulboy
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/l_chore_group/l_tiller_rear/Pages/default.aspx

I bought this tiller about two months ago at Home Depot for $699.

I bought this one earlier the same day & had to take it back & trade for another MTD. Had issues with both MTD's the same day. Paid $650:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Tillers-Cultivators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xheZaqm5/R-100660298/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The Ariens tiller is like ten times better than the MTD, Front engine guard bar w/counter weigh, Froward/reverse gears, Easy to push around in neutral. Home Depot ought to be ashamed by selling the MTD tiller.