PDA

View Full Version : Building a Maintenance Truck

LawnLad
05-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Since all of our businesses are different and we use our equipment in different ways - I know there is no easy answer to this question. But give me any ideas/suggestions you may have for our current challenge if you don't mind.

We're buying a new truck to replace the current GMC 2500 for one of our maintenance crews - it pulls a trailer in the summer and plows in the winter. We do primarly residential work in a very limited geographic area (7,000 miles/year max) - snow plowing is more commercial. This crew from spring until leaf clean up runs 2 to 3 guys, pulls a 17' open trailer (may goto a enclosed trailer in one to two years). In the fall, we may send along a second truck to help with fall leaf clean ups.

We're looking at the buying the following:

'02 or '03 Chevy 2500 HD (9200 GVW) with 8.1L Vortec with Allison 5 Speed trans with snow plow prep package (thus 4 x 4) - extended cab. 4.10 rear axel with Locking Differential, trans cooler/temp gauge, auxiliary battery. Flat bed body, hitch plate, etc. Snow plowing in the winter - most likely a 9' 2" Boss V blade.

What I'm looking for are ways to customize the truck and set it up for the specific maitnenance crew. We have been thinking about underbody tool boxes - but with a single axle - I don't know if there is enought room? Anyone do this? How about fuel storage? Toolboxes, etc.

Suggestions and/or pictures would be really helpful. THings to watch out for would be nice as well. Since this is going to be our first gernation maintenance truck or "prototype" - like to avoid mistakes other have found through experience.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Esby33
05-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Well, if it is just for work, and it sounds like it. I would deffinately get the composite floor. NO CARPET. This makes washing it out/keeping it clean really easy. May not look as nice, but this is a work truck.

stslawncare
05-09-2002, 03:35 PM
fellow landscaper and past chief of my station has a older chevy 3500 single axle dually dump bed with a full width toolbox attached to the cab, similar style to the underbodys, infact he has those also, total of like 2 full width boxes and two underbodies i think. works out real well for him.

lawnkid
05-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Hey LawnLad how old is the truck and how many miles and stuff does it have on it? What kind of plow? I'm gonna be looking for a truck next summer and if it's still for sale I might consider it.

LawnLad
05-09-2002, 04:48 PM
It's a '91 GMC 2500 with 66,000 miles. Snow plow is a 1998 or 1999 Sno Way 2500 blade w/ down pressure and lights (removed the original Meyer plow for Sno Way). Electric brake controller, receiver/hitch, etc. Detailed service record. Body is in decent shape - remembering it's a '91. Some scrathes, few dents, no rust to speak of. I'll be ready to sell it this summer once I get the new truck... if you're interested.

If you're interested in it... email me. Doug@lawnlad.com