PDA

View Full Version : Kicking my ass

Hanau
10-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Studying for the Idaho applicators test on Dec 9. **** there's a lot of math and science involved with this stuff. :dizzy:

How many of you guys passed the test the first time you took it?

Did you take more than 2 months to prep for it?

I'm going to call Green Team Systems tomorrow and order their crash course to help me cram for the exam.

This is a service that would be nice to add next year, there's a ton of products on the market. I'm up to my neck in catalogs.

Yep, it's kicking my ass but I got that satisfied feeling I get when I'm in over my head struggling not to drown. :laugh:

mtchockey30
10-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I passed it on my first time luckily! It def. wasnt easy you really need to study. Good luck hope everything goes well

Hanau
10-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Is the test multiple choice? Multiple choice I can usually find the right answer through process of elimination. When it's fill in the blank my brain seizes.

sedge
10-20-2009, 09:16 AM
i dunno with the Idaho test, but when i took the Oklahoma i got a 94% i think if i remember correctly. i just read the books 2 times so i dunno. was multiple choice mostly i think as well.

grassman177
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
1st timeer here. no sweat, but then again i have a degree in turf management. i got liek a 97% then, and i think a 85 percent or so on the ornamental which i was not as familiar with as turf

david shumaker
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I passed the basic test, but failed the turf test the first time. I thought I could just read the
books and pass. I studied the turf book the second time and passed. There were some math questions on calibration and a calculator was required when taking the test.

Some states have classes that make the test easier. I think they tell you what the questions are for the test.

Hanau
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I got yet more study material, the legal stuff is the hardest. I ain't no lawyer and it's hard to comprehend exactly what they mean on some of this stuff.

There are some cool tools available for spraying lawns. That's the fun part of all this. All the new shiny stuff I get to buy when I pass the test.

drobin
10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
In NY I passed barely, math was my strength and they hardly put any math questions on it, somewhere in the middle I started to panic thinking I can't believe Im going to fail but somehow I turned the ship around enough to pass. I feel for you though it wasn't easy. thats a good thing because difficulty makes it harder to enter the field and less competition. Go for It!-Dave

foreplease
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Well over 90% on all sections first time; I took it extremely seriously. First time back I should say. I completed Michigan State's turf program in 1981 and was licensed for many years. I then did something completely unrelated for 15+ years. When I decided to re-enter this field I did not want to do so with a just passing score. You sound like you have a good approach, you should do fine on your first try. When you do, that will be the beginning, rather than the conclusion, of your learning and responsibilities.

Our tests were multiple choice. For the business license there was a face to face interview with the inspector too, who seemed interested in helping me not preventing me from qualifying. There are some obvious gimmies to anyone who has read the material or has just been around a while. On others though they try to confuse you. I don't think you need to remember any of those labels or catalogs you mentioned, but you will have to interpret a couple labels they show you with legal and coverage/application/calibration type answers. My sense of it was they assume you will know or find out what the appropriate pesticide is and they are more interested in how you will safely apply it, keep track of it, and make mixing and coverage decisions based on the law, which is the label, which is the law.

What I found difficult is making all the paperwork come together at the same time: proof of insurance, experience and education affidavit, test scores, and applications. One of the women in our MDA office was a lot of help explaining what they really wanted in terms of seemingly redundant paperwork. It wasn't, but it was overwhelming.

Good luck.

cush
10-20-2009, 10:52 PM
If you can read a label and understand it you will be able to pass the first time. The hardest part is the weed id because they are black and white drawings.

mdlwn1
10-20-2009, 11:24 PM
97%..Didnt read the book No turf degree..just experiance. Was nervouse though when I finished an hour before the others.

Hanau
10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Ted Smith, owner of Green Team Systems. He has a comprehensive training program and signed me up for $39.95 a month. That rate is good until January if anyone wants his number PM me. In January it goes up to $89.95 a month.

I get a daily 15 minute online study lesson, phone support for starting my business, and a fat training manual to help me prepare for the exam. Plus access to a online database full of all things herbicide and pesticide.

Tomorrow I meet with Rick at the McGregor Company. He's going to help me design a spray rig for my F-250, set up an account, and show me all the different products available for me to sell to my customers.

Ben at the Department of Ag has been really helpful in getting me started as well. In regard to licensing, reciprocity with Washington, the laws, insurance, and all the rest.

Now it's up to me to use all these resources available to me and make the money!

phasthound
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Ted Smith, owner of Green Team Systems. He has a comprehensive training program and signed me up for $39.95 a month. That rate is good until January if anyone wants his number PM me. In January it goes up to $89.95 a month.

I get a daily 15 minute online study lesson, phone support for starting my business, and a fat training manual to help me prepare for the exam. Plus access to a online database full of all things herbicide and pesticide.

Tomorrow I meet with Rick at the McGregor Company. He's going to help me design a spray rig for my F-250, set up an account, and show me all the different products available for me to sell to my customers.

Ben at the Department of Ag has been really helpful in getting me started as well. In regard to licensing, reciprocity with Washington, the laws, insurance, and all the rest.

Now it's up to me to use all these resources available to me and make the money!

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Creating a support network like you have will go a long way to making your business a success. Best of luck to you.

Hanau
10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Spec'd out a skid sprayer.

HD Steel Frame
200 Gallon Poly Tank
Honda 5.5 Engine
Hypro D30 Diaphragm Pump
9.7GPM 580 PSI Max Output
Hypro 6:1 Gear Reduction
Hannay Manual Reel 200'X1/2" Spray Hose
Teejet 43L Gunjet
Non Corrosive Fittings, Valves, and Strainer
$3126.67

Since the store primarily deals with agriculture (we are in farm country, check a map) Rick had never worked with a landscape contractor before. However he seemed game. He has a whole list of ag chemicals for me to try.

Only catch is I have to buy in bulk, so I need to be absolutely sure the stuff does what I want it to before I buy a 55 gallon drum or pallet of it. Some stuff I can get in 5 gallon buckets, I may just have to buy 4 of them at once.

He was really helpful and eager to help. I'm going to give him a shot. His knowledge of chemicals is great. Anything that I come across that I'd like to try he's willing to get for me.

Feel good about the whole thing.

Hanau
10-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Do I need one of those ride on deals to spray with or will the skid and hose be good enough?

Ilex Garden Design
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Greetings! I'll be taking the test(s) this cold season. I took a landscape maintenance class at my local college, and got this website that has a general standards practice test from Utah. http://utahreach.org/learn/test.cfm?utr=TB My Professor told me the general standards are very close nationwide. I got an 83% WITHOUT any prior knowledge of pesticides. I was told the ROW, forestry, etc. are the ones you really need to study for. Good luck to all!!

grassman177
11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
start withthe skid unless you have a deep pocket to spend over double for a ride on. we started and maxed out the two tank truck we have and then just use them now to fill into the ride ons. worked out great in the end.

MnLefty
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Since the store primarily deals with agriculture (we are in farm country, check a map) Rick had never worked with a landscape contractor before. However he seemed game. He has a whole list of ag chemicals for me to try.

Only catch is I have to buy in bulk, so I need to be absolutely sure the stuff does what I want it to before I buy a 55 gallon drum or pallet of it. Some stuff I can get in 5 gallon buckets, I may just have to buy 4 of them at once.

He was really helpful and eager to help. I'm going to give him a shot. His knowledge of chemicals is great. Anything that I come across that I'd like to try he's willing to get for me.

Feel good about the whole thing.

Just be sure that everything you use carries residential/commercial grounds use on the label. Many ag chemicals are not labeled for residential use, even though they may be identical to their T & O counterpart. It would cost you some serious $$$ to get dinged for using an ag product not labeled for turf.

foreplease
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Just be sure that everything you use carries residential/commercial grounds use on the label. Many ag chemicals are not labeled for residential use, even though they may be identical to their T & O counterpart. It would cost you some serious $$$ to get dinged for using an ag product not labeled for turf.
Great point/good catch. When I got the e-mail tonight saying this thread has been updated I re-read the last few posts to refresh my memory. When I came to the one you quoted I wondered why none of us caught it sooner.

How is the studying coming, Hanau?

indyturf
11-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Me too! ........some of the Ag chemical's will be identical except for dye to change the color and a much lower price!!! might look tempting but don't get caught using them

Hanau
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Studying hard. Test in 9 days!!!! Green Team Systems is great. I'd pay 20 times the price for the info I get in my in-box every morning. It's so awesome.