PDA

View Full Version : SR420 Mosquito Pesticide

tpagej
10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I own a stihl sr420 and trying to figure out the product that is used in the mist/fogger for treating mosquitos. I know about the product that is used in the misting systems but was told that they dont use the same product. I really dont want to pay for a misting system and since i already own the blower I figured i would do it myself. It is used by some companies that do something called barrier spray. They just spray all the areas around your yard and it suppose to stop mosquitos, gnats, even spiders for 3 to 4 weeks. I was told that they have 2 kinds. I think they said it had Pyrethrin in one and garlic in the other. Thanks for any info provided.

ICT Bill
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
There are many oils that work very well to control mosquitoes, ticks and fleas, one of them is cedar oil. In university studies at 0.04% it will knock down (kill) adult mosquitoes, garlic is proven to repel mosquitoes for 3 to 4 weeks. But they have wings so "repel" is relative with any repellent, if they get blown in

Bacillus thuriengensis Israelensis is a bacteria that attacks the larval stage when in water, it is very effective and will not harm fish or any other in the water. You see it in the hardware store as the little donut shaped "mosquito dunks"

We have a mix of essential oils for this application called Essential-1, it is a mix of 4 essential oils, cedar being one of them, with garlic and capcasin (hot pepper oil). The capcasin keeps the browsers away like deer and rabbits

When testing in Florida in 2007, we were able to effective move fire ants out of the properties after 2 or 3 applications. They do not like the oils at all and will pick up and move else where. Application is once every 3 or 4 weeks, you can apply it to turf and landscape. As with any horticulture oil, above 80 degrees it will spot ornamentals in the landscape so it is better to use at cooler temps during the day like morning or evening

It is very cost effective, Barry Draycott at Tech-Terra who is a sponsor on here carries it
http://www.techterraorganics.com/

JBSurfs
03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I thought I'd bring this question back up to the top. I'm in the same boat as the first poster. I know Pyrethrin is the chemical of choice for mosquitoes, but not really sure which ones/brands are the best. I have the same backpack sprayer/fogger. Any brand recommendations on the non-organic side. I'm good on the garlic side.

fox2231
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
www.mosquitobarrier.com

JBSurfs
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks fox2231. I've looked into it. What I'm looking for is a pesticide I can use in an SR420 for mosquitoes that will last for 3 weeks. I know some others use pyrethrin, but I'm trying to find a decent brand. I'm very tempted by mosquito barrier, but I've heard it wont typically last the 3 weeks, more like 1.5 weeks.

Young Bros
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Larry from American uses the garlic and swears by it. I want to add to to our services.

fox2231
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
when i went to the IL mosquito ag class i asked the instructor ( he wrote all study books and tests ) what he thought of mosquito barrier, and he said " theres still mosquitos in a garlic field " but he also said that a few northern chicago suburbs are using for there jogging trails threw the wooded areas, but there were re appling sooner than every 3 weeks. I have only used pyrethin mixed with another chemical for termites, it worked well but as the season went on it started to not last as long.