PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lesco Z Two, Kawasaki 25 hp

Everyday
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi All,

I'm having an odd issue with my Lesco, it has a kawasaki 25 hp. Starts and runs fine, can run it around on full throttle as much as I want. After turning on the blades and cutting for a few minutes it will intermittently sputter and pop for 5 to 10 seconds then clear itself up and be fine for another few minutes but then it happens again. This scenario happens over and over. Doesn't matter what temperature the engine is or what the outside temp is. I'm not 100% positive but I could swear it happens after making a turn and heading back up the yard.

I've replaced the fuel lines and filter, cleaned the carb and fuel pump and replaced the spark plugs. I'm not really sure what to make of this. Any ideas?

Engine only has 72 hours on it.

punt66
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
what year? replacement engine or new mower? Warranty?

Everyday
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
2003, original engine, warranty has expired.

punt66
10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
thats a lot of sitting around for an 03. You completely dissasembled the carb and cleaned it well? Also, run seafoam in your fuel for several tanks. Mix it according to the cleaning instructions not the maintenance mix.

Everyday
10-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I took the carb and cleaned it well. There's nothing to really disassemble other than the switch on the bottom of the carb. I put dry gas in every year and only run off one tank, as I don't need the volume of two. I'll look into the seafoam, I assume I can get it at a hardware store or similar.

punt66
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I took the carb and cleaned it well. There's nothing to really disassemble other than the switch on the bottom of the carb. I put dry gas in every year and only run off one tank, as I don't need the volume of two. I'll look into the seafoam, I assume I can get it at a hardware store or similar.

also check the fuel line in the tank and make sure the screen at the end of the line isnt clogged. You can get sea foam additive at any autoparts store.

Restrorob
10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Since this only happens with the deck engaged leads me to believe you may have a safety switch failing, More like the seat switch since you say it seems to happen when making turns. Shifting in the seat while turning or bouncing across the yard is a good sign.

For test purposes only, You can locate the harness plug connector next to the starter. Remove only the black wire from the engine side of this connector, This is the kill wire going to the coils. Test run the unit around the yard carefully and see if it still acts up, If it doesn't replace the seat switch.

The engine will not shut down with this black wire disconnected, Short this wire to any metal ground to shut the engine down after testing then re-install it back into the harness plug connector.