PDA

View Full Version : need diagnosis help

MikeTA95
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
I just bought a used 48 inch Bob Cat belt driven walk behind mower. It runs great, cuts perfect, but when idling there is a loud clapping noise. When I use speeds 1,2,and 3 the lawn mower moves perfectly fine and the clapping goes away. Gears 4 and 5 only work sometimes, and only with the clapping noise being louder. When they do work, the lawn mower randomly stops or each wheel will randomly stop at different times for a split second, and it is also nearly impossible to turn in those gears. This may or may not be related, but the belts on the sides that control the wheels are set up oddly too. The left side belt never stops turning even when you pull the lever on that side. the levers are both extremely loose, not sure if this is normal for a bob cat though since it is my first one. Any help or input would be appreciated, I'm trying to start repairing equipment myself instead of dragging it to the dealer and paying a fortune like I have been doing in the past.

Sharpcut 1
10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
That's why you want us dealers to give you all our knowledge for free.

You either have bad transmission couplers from trans output shaft to axle shafts, or the "fingers" in your transmission are bad. My money is on the fingers from your description. Your belt should stop turning when you lift up on the handle, get the thing on a jackstand and adjust it till it stops turning when you pull up on the levers. Your rods are threaded to allow you to do this. Gotta run, but post what you find. If it is the fingers in the trans, parts are about $45.00, but you gotta split the case open.

Sharpcut 1
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
How's that LT1 run??

Breezmister
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
When I use speeds 1,2,and 3 the lawn mower moves perfectly fine and the clapping goes away. Gears 4 and 5 only work sometimes,

You have a few options. If you can live with 3rd gear for the rest of the season. Living in Camden Co, I know you only have a few more weeks left of cutting If not, you can rebuild the trans or you can replace it.

If you rebuild it, do a search on here for Peerless Transmissions, there is a lot of infor on what needs to be done.

The easy way would be to replace it. Trans run from $200 to $300, depending on where you get it.

http://www.bobcatturf.com/pdf/owners_manuals/4158465.pdf

The link above will explain alot of your questions and explain how to make adjustments.

Good Luck

DT Lawn Care
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know, but from what I gather your belts are wayyy out of adjustment. Either that or your belts are just off some and your brakes are way off also. Could be the reason why your top gears aren't working? Too much strain when shifting, meaning your levers aren't clutching the belts/trans? Adjust your belts and brakes, THEN see what happens.

Also, check your belt from the engine to the trans (underneath), may be bad and could cause your clapping noise.

MikeTA95
10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
How's that LT1 run??

Had to sell it in order to start my business. Ran awesome until then it was a six speed hard top with a flowmaster cat back system and it was lowered 1.8 inches as well. Best time was a 13.9 @ 101.

Can you tell I cry myself to sleep every night because I miss it so much?

MikeTA95
10-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I think the belts are adjusted all wrong so I'm going to attempt to fix that first and see what happens. If that doesn't work, 3rd gear will do for the rest of the season, nothing is really growing anyway.

mdlwn1
10-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know, but from what I gather your belts are wayyy out of adjustment. Either that or your belts are just off some and your brakes are way off also. Could be the reason why your top gears aren't working? Too much strain when shifting, meaning your levers aren't clutching the belts/trans? Adjust your belts and brakes, THEN see what happens.

Also, check your belt from the engine to the trans (underneath), may be bad and could cause your clapping noise.

Maybe re-read his post?

Sharpcut 1
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Had to sell it in order to start my business. Ran awesome until then it was a six speed hard top with a flowmaster cat back system and it was lowered 1.8 inches as well. Best time was a 13.9 @ 101.

Can you tell I cry myself to sleep every night because I miss it so much?

Good luck on your Bobcat!!

The 101 MPH tells me you spun out of the hole, you should of been low 13's. What it 60' at??

MikeTA95
10-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't remember my 60 foot times but i was racing on street tires so it spun every time.