PDA

View Full Version : You've got to be better.

David Gretzmier
10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I just answered a private PM from a guy who has new competition in the Christmas Light biz, and they are selling the same product he is. how do you deal with that? my answer to Him is to be better. BETTER !

I cannot count the days and hours and thousands of dollars I spend every year to make things better.

employee stuff- better and the right size ladders. better trucks and better organization in trucks. better and more functional uniforms. better tools, better system to get them food, fuel, better videos for each customer to show how to do jobs, driving directions to jobs, etc. ( here is a feebie Idea for your guys. go to Wal-mart and go to the sporting goods section and find the fanny packs that hikers use. they are around 10 bucks. Those things are awesome to do jobs with on the roof.- They have many pockets for dozens of bulbs, caps, all in one clips, binder clips, etc. )

better first impression stuff is absolutely critical: bid forms and better business cards. better bid folder with real photo's. better guarantee and quotes/referances inside the folder you hand all bids. better advertising and better web search presence. Better response time to phone messages, better happy voice to answer the phone. better answering service.

better shop organization, better warehouse system, better inventory management ( don't run out of stuff).

I also think I project an amazing passion for what I do when I meet with folks. I love it. but I also can fake it when I feel terrible and I have worked 80 hours the past 6 days.

i have 2 guys in my market that sell the exact same HBL stuff I do ( yeah thanks HBL) . but no one, NO ONE is better than me at selling it or doing it. nobody. I refuse to be 2nd best. whoever I am doing a bid for, if they want the best, they figure it out quickly based on me and what I give them to show thier spouse. Thier bid is on a blurry copy of a standard construction bid form, mine is full color christmas bid form in a color folder with a 3 tab cut sheets on left with referances, guarantee, and a built in slot for business card. I scream professional. with the same product, if they bid 2300 and I bid 2700, who do you think they will hire?