PDA

View Full Version : Tire question on zero turn.

Cleve
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I sure would like to get some opinions on a better tire for my mower.
This is a new Bush Hog 44" deck zero turn. I do like the way it mows but I do have a problem with the way it handles on damp grass and slopes.
The mower came with Carlisle 22 X 7.50-12" wheels and tires. I plan on upgrading to the Carlisle 22 X 9.50-12" setup. Those are the tires that they put on their 54" deck mower.
The "stock" tires on both mowers are the 2 ply Turf-Saver style and are actually about 21" in diameter on the mower.
Carlisle also has another tire with a little different tread design called the Turf-Saver that is a 4 ply tire and I have a set of these on my diesel Walker mover.
Problem is I think the 4 ply Turf-Saver might be 1/2" to 3/4" bigger iin diameter.
I would like to order the 4-ply Turf-Saver but wonder if this will create a problem with the cutting height of the deck. Or, should I just put the original but wider tire on it?
I had a similar problem with the Walker mower when it was new but solved that by getting the wide profile tires setup from Walker. Seems the tires can make a really big difference in the way a mower handles.
Any input would be appreciated,
Cleve

Restrorob
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I would like to order the 4-ply Turf-Saver but wonder if this will create a problem with the cutting height of the deck.

When you lower the deck to mow just go a extra notch or two.....

If the wheel bolt pattern is the same size as your Walker (most are the same) just slap them on the Bush-Hog and see how it does.

Cleve
10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The Walker has 18" diameter tires so can't try that.
As info I tried to get the dealer to let me take a set of the wider tires and try the. No deal. And, these original tires are actually still new. Only have about 2 hrs. on them. So I'm doing this on my own. Bush Hog did offer to sell me a set at a discount that turned out to be about the same cost as me going to my local tire dealer. I'd rather deal with him.
I'm sorta hoping that maybe somebody on this site has some knowledge about these tires and their different treads and might offer some advise.
I think you are right about just adjusting the cutting height to offset the tire diameter and maybe the deck can be adjusted to do the same to keep it level.

DT Lawn Care
10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Can you get Turf Masters for it? I am planning on putting new tires on my Gravely and ExMark this winter and I have heard everybody say that the Turf Masters are worth the little extra money. I have Turf Masters that came with my Toro when I bought it used, they seem a lot better than the Turf Savers on my other mowers. Just a thought.

Cleve
10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Can you get Turf Masters for it? I am planning on putting new tires on my Gravely and ExMark this winter and I have heard everybody say that the Turf Masters are worth the little extra money. I have Turf Masters that came with my Toro when I bought it used, they seem a lot better than the Turf Savers on my other mowers. Just a thought.

Hey, Thanks.
My bad anyway. The O.E. tires on the mower are TURF SAVERS and are 2 ply. I missed the name in my original poat and meant to say TURF MASTER for the 4-ply tires that I now have on the Walker. That is the tire I want to install. Just have some concerns about the diameter. I've got some new wheels coming in a few days and think I'm going to get the TURF MASTER locally from my tire dealer. Thanks for your input regards these.

Cleve
10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Turf Masters installed today. And, even though they measured about an inch taller than the O.E. tires off the mower, when I aired them down to about 12 lbs. (mfg. recommended p.s.i.) they were almost exactly the same overall height on the mower. Now if it will just stop raining maybe I can try them out.
The top picture is the O.E. tires.
The bottom is of the new and wider tires. Also went from 2 to 4 ply along with gaining 2" width on each tire.