PDA

View Full Version : How often, honestly....

mwilson3
10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Do you clean/hose out your deck? I just got my 1st ZT and the manual says after every use? Toro titan 54. I am a newbie and don't want to mess up my ZT but everyday? I cut 7 lawns a day.
Mike

fastcat
10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I just scrape it off every time I change the blades out
Posted via Mobile Device

DT Lawn Care
10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Do you clean/hose out your deck? I just got my 1st ZT and the manual says after every use? Toro titan 54. I am a newbie and don't want to mess up my ZT but everyday? I cut 7 lawns a day.
Mike

Nah, you don't have to by any means, unless you are cutting wet thick grass. We clean our mowers about once every few weeks during normal conditions. In the spring when it's raining, once every other day or so. Just keep your blades sharp and balanced.

Edit: When I sharpen the blades I clean out also, as fastcat said.

B&A lawn care
10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
As the others said, depends on the weather but never after every use. Thick buildup can alter the cutting quality and effects the discharge pattern. The only time we spend lots of effort on deck cleaning is at the end of the season for rust prevention. Back when the mowers were "dad's mowers" and not MY mowers I would pull over a graveled drive set the deck down and let her rip a while,,, the deck vacuam sucking up the pebbles was like red neck sand blasting:hammerhead:, LOL.

South Florida Lawns
10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Dude it ain't that bad I hit it with the blower at the end of the week, more if its wet grass. I keep the spindle covers off so I can clean out the deck faster.

mwilson3
10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, like the redneck sandblast deal... trying to stay creative!

Mike

greenred
10-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Thanks guys, like the redneck sandblast deal... trying to stay creative!

Mike

I have never done it but it seems a good way to dull and damage your blades, while increasing the likely hood that your going to eject something from your deck and damage something or injure some one or both.

B&A lawn care
10-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I have never done it but it seems a good way to dull and damage your blades, while increasing the likely hood that your going to eject something from your deck and damage something or injure some one or both.

sigh,,,,
type,, erase
sigh,,,,
type,,

B&A humor is now turned off, sry.

lawnjocky
10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
It's a lot easier to clean fresh grass daily that to let it dry and turn hard as a rock.

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Only when its obvious that its clogged...or the winter...which ever comes first.

greenred
10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
sigh,,,,
type,, erase
sigh,,,,
type,,

B&A humor is now turned off, sry.

Sorry sarcasm doesnt translate well over the internet. Sad part is I wouldnt put it past someone to seriously suggest that.

Mickhippy
10-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Id say clean only when needed like if clogged with wet grass. Be very careful with not getting water in the spindles. Never hose directly on the spindles, especially when there hot.
I would go as far as saying dont hose the deck at all, just scrape and blow. You have an air compressor dont you? I couldnt live without it!

lifetree
10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
... We clean our mowers about once every few weeks during normal conditions. ...

Ditto on that !!

MJS
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I've got one mower (an older 36" wb) that never needs to be cleaned out. As in, ever. The Exmark, however - probably every single day in wet weather, sometimes more.
If the ground is dry, I can usually get away with leaving it for a week.

lifetree
10-23-2009, 11:37 PM
I've got one mower (an older 36" wb) that never needs to be cleaned out. As in, ever. ...

What brand and model number is it ... do you have pictures ??

MJS
10-24-2009, 12:46 AM
What brand and model number is it ... do you have pictures ??

It's an MTD-Pro (from around 2002ish) belt-drive. I run regular high-lifts with it, and have never really had to clean it, though I've scraped a few little grass bumps off several times when sharpening the blades. Running side-discharge, it just seems to shed the clippings.

As far as pictures go, you can find them here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272379

STIHL GUY
10-25-2009, 03:29 AM
whenenver i change the blades or if it starts building up.....most often when i have time for it

demhustler
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
good habit - to blow mower off at the end of the day;
in properties, where you want extra good cut - before mowing, clean the deck real quick (trailer gate ramp, bump/ditch - convenient position with good access under deck); - if you do it often - it won't be much

mdlwn1
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I've got one mower (an older 36" wb) that never needs to be cleaned out. As in, ever. The Exmark, however - probably every single day in wet weather, sometimes more.
If the ground is dry, I can usually get away with leaving it for a week.

My 36" is the same way..Husky

lifetree
10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
It's an MTD-Pro (from around 2002ish) belt-drive. I run regular high-lifts with it, and have never really had to clean it, though I've scraped a few little grass bumps off several times when sharpening the blades. Running side-discharge, it just seems to shed the clippings. ...

Well then, good for you ... thanks for the link to th epictures !!