PDA

View Full Version : Ligustrums

TandM
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Alright well I have to ask what would be a good shrub to cover a fence up. I have a 25ft. strip of fence open to another yard that the owner would like some more privacy. I was thinking ligustrums? any other ideas would be greatly appreaciated thanks!

Turf Logic
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Ligustrum, eleagnus, waxmyrtle etc

fl-landscapes
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
buttonwood, viburnum, coco plumb, oleander, copper leaf, Allamanda would climb the fence if thats what your looking to do. Also plants already mentioned above.

greenpoint
10-22-2009, 02:40 AM
buttonwood, viburnum, coco plumb, oleander, copper leaf, Allamanda would climb the fence if thats what your looking to do. Also plants already mentioned above.

This.

All species listed will work well, but I prefer the oleander - it flowers, and will grow nicely to 10+ feet... just don't let your pets (or you) eat them! :)

TandM
10-22-2009, 11:59 AM
she has 2 oleanders and Im looking to break them up a bit. Thanks so much!

fl-landscapes
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
This.

All species listed will work well, but I prefer the oleander - it flowers, and will grow nicely to 10+ feet... just don't let your pets (or you) eat them! :)

I know what will eat em.....oleander Caterpillar....keep an eye out on those for sure.

SunState Lawn Care inc
10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Ligustrums will do great I have them at my house as a fence/barrier they are about 6' tall +- . They grow fast and are very hardy plants BUT they do need trimming pretty often to keep nice looking.

TandM
10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Yea she has oleander caterpillar right now so I gotta get rid of that. its eaten like half or one in like a month. those little critters are insane. I think im goin with ligustrums.

yamadooski
10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
All the ideas are nice but it all depends on where you are at, all you say is south.
The problem with all the other ideas is that you can still see the fence because they all will get scarce at the bottom.
If you are deep south say Tampa on south I would use Areca Palm. If north of Tampa I would us Podacarpus it stays full all the way to the ground.
Or us Jasmine vine I have that along my fence with Arecas and Robs and Chinese Fan along with some Bouganvillia along with ground plants and I gurantee you I cant see one bit of crappy white pvc fence of my neighbors.

TandM
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Im located in southeastern georgia to be precise. right above jacksonville. and ligustrums are pretty full. but podacarpus I have never heard of. tell me about it?

fl-landscapes
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
All the ideas are nice but it all depends on where you are at, all you say is south.
The problem with all the other ideas is that you can still see the fence because they all will get scarce at the bottom.
If you are deep south say Tampa on south I would use Areca Palm. If north of Tampa I would us Podacarpus it stays full all the way to the ground.
Or us Jasmine vine I have that along my fence with Arecas and Robs and Chinese Fan along with some Bouganvillia along with ground plants and I gurantee you I cant see one bit of crappy white pvc fence of my neighbors.

Buttonwood, and coco plumb will have foliage to the ground. ligustrum, and oleander probably not. Podacarpus is a great barrier plant, bougainvillia is a pain in the azz unless you have a huge area to fill with an extremely fast growing thorny bush that need to be trimmed very frequently to keep any shape, theres only one dwarf species but we arent talking about it for a privacy fence.

Florida Gardener
10-29-2009, 12:21 AM
i don't like oleander and they have pest issues. if you use ligustrum or buttonwood, let them go and don't hack em back like 95% of the people down here do. My vote is for Firebush. It will grow relatively quick, you can let it get big and selectively prune it. If she is looking for privacy, this well def. do the trick.

Somthinrandm
10-29-2009, 05:41 AM
I don't know if this helps but if your client doesn't mind a slow grower, The Osmanthus can be grown into a nice evergreen Screening plant. The real seller is its wonderful Fragrance. ALso unlike most shrubs that flower in the spring , the Osmanthus' FLower in the fall, So If your client will have nice smelling bushes for both seasons. I don't know where you live but IN RAleigh NC. NCSU has them everywhere on campus.
My second vote is the Firebush. if client isn't into waiting for the hedge to form.
perhaps this helps!

Kevin M.
11-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Two issues here is one with the Tea Olives they will get burned to death if you plant them here or any more south. I love Ligustrums and Podocarpus and both are fast growers and take little or no care once there established. Also a question what is firebush ?? never heard of it

Somthinrandm
11-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Two issues here is one with the Tea Olives they will get burned to death if you plant them...

wierd I had no idea that they burn to death. They grow great here in NC and one state down they burn. you learn something new everyday. I think they are talking about Euonymous Altaus Burning bush. Thats the common name that i know of it as. Really bright Red Fall color, nice shrub!

Kevin M.
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I have heard of them being called Burning Bushes just never have heard of them as Firebushes. All of my experience with Tea Olives is they can survive the heat and plus they are a pain to take care of. Too many other nice plants out on the market to replace tea olives.

TandM
11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Ive learned lots of new stuff just by reading this!