PDA

View Full Version : used john deere

jsaunders
05-09-2002, 09:11 PM
A new customer has a john deere 318 lawn and garden tractor that she wants to get rid of. I was hoping I could get some info from you as to how much it might be worth or how good of a tractor it is. This is what I know- hasn't run/been used in two years-customer said it was running when parked. it has been in a garage for the last two years. it has an Ohnen (sp) engine no idea of hours needs a battery and a front tire. The tractor has hydrolic steering and hydrolic fittings in the front for a snowblower? There is some gas in the tank yet the fuel filter is empty- so I figure the cab/ fuel bowl will need to be cleaned out. Thankyou for the replies.

65hoss
05-11-2002, 10:13 AM
I don't know very much about these little deere's, but I have a subscription to Green Magazine (JD mag). I'll look to see if any are for sale in it. I'll let you know.

stslawncare
05-11-2002, 12:12 PM
do u know of the age or hp?

jsaunders
05-11-2002, 09:48 PM
I don't know of horsepower or age. I looked at it real quick. The customer said she bought it used her self. It does have a 48 inch cutting deck. I will be over there in a couple of days and give it a better look.

jsaunders
05-17-2002, 08:58 PM
here is some more info - tractor pin# m00318x290837
onan engine # B43G-GA018/4174C
the hour meter reads 0 hrs which is 't correct

m318x476070
05-31-2002, 02:05 PM
It is a 1984 model with point ignition (later models have electronic ignition) 18 hp Onan engine. I have a 1988 model that has been a tremendous tractor. Mowing 3-4 acres every summer for the last 5 years. I just rolled 1000 hours on the tach. and it 's still running strong. There is a JD Garden tractor 'community' on MSN where the 318 commands a great deal of love and respect.

Buster57
06-30-2002, 10:28 AM
I have a JD318. I had to change the engine at 1625 hours. Cost $2000. I did not hesitate.
The 318 is probably the most robust lawn tractor of it's type JD ever made.
I had to buy a CUT for the pasture, and the 318 is not to be confused with a CUT, but it is simply outstanding as a lawn tractor.
Having said that, with no knowledge of the machine's history and with no battery, etc...offer him $800 assuming the engine is fried. If he chokes, tell him to buy a battery(Costco is where I get my tractor batteries-regular car battery will do just fine). Do a compression check. The trans almost never wear out but, if used hard, the engines will go at about 1500-2000 hours .
If the compression is the same in both cyllinders(~85-100) then it is worth up to $2000 as it sits.
You can always buy a can of paint-and these units take apart easily. Change the trans fluid and grease the entire unit. Go to a local upholstery repair shop(NOT JD!) to fix any seat problems.
Have fun. It is an amazine L&G tractor!

aquaturf
08-16-2002, 01:28 AM
The 318 is an excellent machine, and it was definitely the cream of the crop when it was new. Probably sold new for around $7-8k, back in the late 80s and early 90s. I have a JD 265 from 1989 and it was basically one step below the 318. Almost 2000 hours on engine, and it still runs great. Never needs a thing. It's a Kawasaki enigne and yours is an Onan but the quality is there with Deere. That machine will last you forever once it is cleaned up.....

jsaunders
10-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Finally got around to work on the machine. I charged the battery took out the spark plugs and cranked it over a couple of times. Put the plugs back in and sprayed some gas into the intake and it fired up. It seems to run pretty good, the only problem is it is leaking oil from the filter. I think the filter gasket dried out and when it was pressurized in cracked the gasket. How much would YOU pay for it? I have $50 into it already ( tire+ tube) but I said I would give her $300 for it because I DON'T really need it. I also talked to a Husky dealer and said he wouldn't give any more than 300 for it anyway because of age and trying to fing someone to buy it for a profit.
Thanks for your help. Joel
PS Anyone want a tractor for $1,000 Contact me!:D :D