PDA

View Full Version : Troy Bilt Horse PTO rear tine shaft replacement?

Exact Rototilling
10-21-2009, 09:07 PM
As you can see the shaft is torque sheared this is a flaw of this specific design [the older spline tine shaft is superior] but anyhow I have the part on order.

I don't have the repair manual so I'm trying to figure out the best way to pull this apart. Anyone her done this before? Tips?

Exact Rototilling
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Restrorob
10-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Hmmm, I have worked for a Troy dealer over 19 years and been into too many of these units. I have never seen a horse with a splined tine shaft, The early horse's I've seen were tapered;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Troybuilt/TroyHorseTineShaft.jpg

Anyway, By the looks of that break (shiny areas) I'd say it had been cracked a while then one last hit of something snapped it the rest of the way.

If your just replacing the tine shaft there's no need in removing the input shaft, You have the cover screws out so lightly drive a small chisel between the cover and housing to pop it loose.

Clean and de-burr the broken end of the shaft then tap it through the housing, The shaft should pass through the brass bull gear without much problem. Install the new seal in the housing on the broken side before re-installing the new shaft.

Exact Rototilling
10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Restrorob,

Thanks for the tip. You saved me a bunch of work :drinkup:

I probably made it sound like a CV axle on car. Yes I guess what meant by splined shaft was the one you have pictured. My former brother in-law had one and I replaced the tines on it and I thought this must be a better design? The torque load is transmitted over a larger area of the shaft? correct? Do those break less than the one I have? We have extremely rocky dinosaur egg glacial flood plain soil here.

The day before it broke I was tilling up tree roots. :hammerhead:

Anyhow over just one season of Spring tilling a few years back the inboard holes started to elongate and get distorted.

Is using RTV on the "degreased and cleaned" cover screws adequate to keep fluid from leaking?

Also is it ok to use GL5 gear oil on these tillers? The manual calls for GL4 only basically GL5 rated free which is tough to find. The latest spec from MTD calls for GL1 last I checked?

Thanks,

Again :waving:

pugs
10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Think I would look into a heavier tiller if you do alot of it. Get a nice old Howard Rotovator with a twin cylinder wisconsin on it or a nice new Barreto.

Exact Rototilling
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Think I would look into a heavier tiller if you do alot of it. Get a nice old Howard Rotovator with a twin cylinder wisconsin on it or a nice new Barreto.

I rented a Baretto last year. I wasn't that impressed. In rocky soil the tines just stop turning? Lower back strain was fairly high while running it and I thought I would drop tilling from my list of services if I had to use a Baretto on any sort of regular basis.

The Howard Rotovators look like a beast - are those a current production units for WB tillers?

I just picked up an old Garden Way Troy bilt Horse with an inoperable engine. Once that is up and running that will give me back up. Troy Bilt Horse tillers just have the right balance and turn around well inside a garden area. They are just slow to use on gardens commercially on anything bigger than 50' x 50'

One of my aeration customers has a new BCS with a Honda engine. I tried it briefly and was impressed with it. If I was going to buy a new tiller that would be it. I just can't justify the expense for a relatively narrow portion of my income. I make a much higher percentage of gross income from aerations these days.

Restrorob
10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
The torque load is transmitted over a larger area of the shaft? correct? Do those break less than the one I have?

Well, Yes. The tapered shaft is more of a interference fit over just a through bolt to take all the punishment. I am yet to run across a broken shaft of either style. The problems I see are grooves worn in the shaft where the seal rides, Then they no longer hold the grease.

Is using RTV on the "degreased and cleaned" cover screws adequate to keep fluid from leaking? That's just fine.

Also is it ok to use GL5 gear oil on these tillers? :

Lastly, I have been using a 80w-90 with a GL5,GL4,GL3 rating without any issues.

pugs
10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I rented a Baretto last year. I wasn't that impressed. In rocky soil the tines just stop turning? Lower back strain was fairly high while running it and I thought I would drop tilling from my list of services if I had to use a Baretto on any sort of regular basis.

The Howard Rotovators look like a beast - are those a current production units for WB tillers?

Hmmm, maybe something wrong with it then. One of our customers has a Barreto and then like 5-6 old Howards. The Howards are absurd tanks of machines. But they like the Barreto for the ability to run the tines super fast and the wheels super slow to really pulverize the soil.

I dont think Howards have been made in some years. Parts are still available for them but I dont think they make new ones.

Yah BCS has been around for a long time. Attachements and such for them.

I just like the idea of hydraulics and being able to vary the tine or wheel speed independently and infinitely.

Exact Rototilling
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmmm, maybe something wrong with it then. One of our customers has a Barreto and then like 5-6 old Howards. The Howards are absurd tanks of machines. But they like the Barreto for the ability to run the tines super fast and the wheels super slow to really pulverize the soil.

I dont think Howards have been made in some years. Parts are still available for them but I dont think they make new ones.

Yah BCS has been around for a long time. Attachements and such for them.

I just like the idea of hydraulics and being able to vary the tine or wheel speed independently and infinitely.What I really like about the Baretto is the continues across the path tilling with no untilled gap. Maybe the Barreto I rented wasn't working correctly since the tines just stopped until I lifted up slightly:confused: