PDA

View Full Version : Turfco " T " At GIE, Louisville

turfcobob
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Turfco will be at Louisville with the 2010, T3000 and new attachments. We invite all to come visit. Those who are looking for a deal for 2010 this is the place to find it. All equipment at the show will be on special while they last.
New attachments, special pricing, special terms and some real live tax saving incentives.

americanlawn
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Considering adding a 3rd T3000 to our arsenol, but we cannot attend the show. Can you offer a discounted price for us, even though we won't be at the show? Sorry, but we have to work. Too bad the GIE happens during our "fall busy season".

You can send me a PM if you want. Thanks, Larry

p.s. Here's how we transport our T's

billyc
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Gee Larry. How much more of a discount do you want from what you are already getting.

a plus bob
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I was hoping to see you there Larry!! With my Z-SPRAY I get enough done that I can walk away from apps for a day and not get behind.Sorry to hear you cant make it this year.Just kidding couldnt resist :p

americanlawn
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
It's okay bud....this event is always held when we are in our "fall push", so we always have to work long hours to get stuff done before the snow flies.

Don't tell TURFCO this, but we added a 'beer cooler' in the carrier tray for hot days. It fits perfectly, and I figure offering a "few cold ones" adds another 2 hours of production. :laugh:

I was hoping to see you there Larry!! With my Z-SPRAY I get enough done that I can walk away from apps for a day and not get behind.Sorry to hear you cant make it this year.Just kidding couldnt resist :p

turfcobob
10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Rain has not helped a bit either has it Larry. Wet and snowy here in Nebraska, two weeks of it off and on. Too early for winter. It will be over your way tomorrow.

jbturf
10-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Hello Bob,

any changes/improvements to the 2010 model?

RigglePLC
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't see any pics of a crrrier rack. I hope it has no rust problems.

americanlawn
10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry 'bout that -- here's pics http:www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264120

These T3000 carrier racks are awesome. One guy can lift 'em, cuz our carriers are so light weight (made of mostly aluminum). The carrier rack (featured in this pic) has shown no wear whatsoever during the 2009 season. No visible wear whatsoever after a full year's use....same thing with both our T3000's .... no rust -- not even any surface rust anywhere. No wonder we're looking to buy another one.

3 1/2 inches of rain yesterday & all-day drizzle today, yet our T's ran production today when my local friends with "other ride-on's" were "shut down". TURFCO has not only made us money, but they have saved us serious downtime, and their T's are built 'rock solid'.

You have our word on this. Thanks, American Lawn Care, Des Moines, IA :usflag::canadaflag:

I don't see any pics of a crrrier rack. I hope it has no rust problems.

americanlawn
10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
During the past 3 weeks, we could not run production for 8 different days due to rain, high winds, and even one day with record snow. Yet our T3000's worked on days when my local buds could not use their 'zero-turn' ride-ons. One friend said they "hand-pushed and spot sprayed" big lawns instead of using his zero-turn ride-ons. This is one of the reasons we chose T3000's instead of units that relied on ZT steering. Same spray/spread pattern as a z, yet we can (usually) maneuver on wet ground/slopes/hills in a safe manor with our T's....No need to hand push & use a backpack sprayer on wet ground.

Actually -- this is what sold us in the first place when we first demoed a T3000 over two years ago, cuz we knew would have to battle Mother Nature at some point in time. (turfcobob - you know the wet ditches we climbed with the T3000 after two days of rain). Lost production due to equipment is not good. I just hope folks keep this important factor in mind while shopping for "production" ride-on machines that offer a "light footprint on lawns" during inclement weather.

Shop around folks. We did. Traveled 500 miles in each direction from Des Moines, IA. Visited PG, Z & others. Then we picked the best one that would make us money on a consistent basis. Our company is glad now for making a good business decision.

Our 2 cents

rcreech
10-25-2009, 07:45 PM
During the past 3 weeks, we could not run production for 8 different days due to rain, high winds, and even one day with record snow. Yet our T3000's worked on days when my local buds could not use their 'zero-turn' ride-ons. One friend said they "hand-pushed and spot sprayed" big lawns instead of using his zero-turn ride-ons. This is one of the reasons we chose T3000's instead of units that relied on ZT steering. Same spray/spread pattern as a z, yet we can (usually) maneuver on wet ground/slopes/hills in a safe manor with our T's....No need to hand push & use a backpack sprayer on wet ground.

Actually -- this is what sold us in the first place when we first demoed a T3000 over two years ago, cuz we knew would have to battle Mother Nature at some point in time. (turfcobob - you know the wet ditches we climbed with the T3000 after two days of rain). Lost production due to equipment is not good. I just hope folks keep this important factor in mind while shopping for "production" ride-on machines that offer a "light footprint on lawns" during inclement weather.

Shop around folks. We did. Traveled 500 miles in each direction from Des Moines, IA. Visited PG, Z & others. Then we picked the best one that would make us money on a consistent basis. Our company is glad now for making a good business decision.

Our 2 cents

Larry....you are so convincing!

:laugh:

sprayboy
10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Larry,

Please explain how this machine will go over soft ground better than any other machine and not get stuck. What makes it so special?

Were there any mowing crews out after that rain or were the mowers forced to stay off the soft ground.

Do your soils drain that well that you are not spreading in any standing water after 3.5 inches of rain?

rcreech
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Larry,

Please explain how this machine will go over soft ground better than any other machine and not get stuck. What makes it so special?

Were there any mowing crews out after that rain or were the mowers forced to stay off the soft ground.

Do your soils drain that well that you are not spreading in any standing water after 3.5 inches of rain?

Once you are on here long enough you will figure it out!

Larry can do some amazing things that nobody else can do with his T-3000.

And somehow he is always doing better the the Z Spray guys!

:laugh:

billyc
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Larry is just very religious and can walk on water.

br549oicu8
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Was hoping American was coming to GIE!!! Dangit!!!!
I love storytellers!!!
:dizzy:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Was hoping American was coming to GIE!!! Dangit!!!!
I love storytellers!!!
:dizzy:

You could always go to your local farm & have a bull poop in your ear, if you want an earfull of BS:laugh:

americanlawn
10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
You guys are too funny. :laugh: Just got off the phone with my most experienced T3000 operater (Rodney knows who he is). He verified one example:

This past spring, he was treating an acreage across the street when he saw a local friend of ours using a zero-turn ride-on. The ZTR was stuck in wet ground, so he asked if they needed help. The guy said, "No, we have a tow strap". "M" asked if they were having problems with their unit cuz of the saturated soil. Reply, "Yep -- this is the 3rd time this MORNING that we have had to pull it out".

I don't make this up folks, and you are welcome to PM me for the name of the company who kept getting their ZTR ride-on stuck. Rodney - PM me & I will give you "M"'s cell phone number as well.

Not naming any ZTR company whatsoever. Not saying they don't work fine in most situations, but this is one reason we made "choices" based upon personal experience with several brands.

I always answer PM's, cuz I enjoy all you guys on this fine site. Don't care what brand you use. We all have our preferences. Just so they're American made. :usflag:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
You guys are too funny. :laugh: Just got off the phone with my most experienced T3000 operater (Rodney knows who he is).

Ahhh...."M" must be your son-in-law Mason who works for you. Someone I know that met you & him referred to him as a "squirrel with an earing":hammerhead:

NattyLawn
10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
All I gotta say is I hope Lawn Solutions ride on isn't tested by lawnsite members before it comes out. That machine will probably be top notch and I don't want it reviewed or endorsed by the any of the T vs. Z guys on here.

rcreech
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
All I am going to say is...this is one of the wetest years we have had, and I have had not problems of leaving tracks or getting stuck.

If an idiot tries to go through a mud pile they should get stuck...and it won't matter what machine you are on.

One question larry?

If you are on two machines that are the same weight and but one has wider tires (Z-Spray)...why would one get stuck before the other.

What is so special to keep your T from getting stuck?

Just curious?

a plus bob
10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
All I gotta say is I hope Lawn Solutions ride on isn't tested by lawnsite members before it comes out. That machine will probably be top notch and I don't want it reviewed or endorsed by the any of the T vs. Z guys on here.

You mean Larry vs. the Z guys :laugh::laugh::laugh:

turfcobob
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Easy answer to the mud question. Buy one of each and run them day after day rain or shine, mud or no mud and when they wear out buy two more and do it again. You may or may not get an answer. There are good and bad points and flaws in all machines. I get tired of all the nit pic and slamming that goes on in a help site.

ted putnam
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Ahhh...."M" must be your son-in-law Mason who works for you. Someone I know that met you & him referred to him as a "squirrel with an earing":hammerhead:

Earing!!!:nono: Not at work in front of my customers... A squirrel huh? That's funny!:laugh:

ted putnam
10-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Too late! They've already taken photos of Rabbitman on it and I'm pretty sure he's giving it aThumbs Up

ted putnam
10-26-2009, 10:34 PM
All I am going to say is...this is one of the wetest years we have had, and I have had not problems of leaving tracks or getting stuck.

If an idiot tries to go through a mud pile they should get stuck...and it won't matter what machine you are on.

One question larry?

If you are on two machines that are the same weight and but one has wider tires (Z-Spray)...why would one get stuck before the other.

What is so special to keep your T from getting stuck?

Just curious?

Aww Shucks T-Bone! It's them Chrome Reverse Radiator Wires and that "Eight Ball" shifter handle....

grassman177
10-26-2009, 10:39 PM
you guys are making me laugh completely ******ed and my wife had to come see what i was doing in here!!!!!!!!!!!!

NattyLawn
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Too late! They've already taken photos of Rabbitman on it and I'm pretty sure he's giving it aThumbs Up

Isn't there a ride on spreader in the pipeline?

ted putnam
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Isn't there a ride on spreader in the pipeline?

My mistake. I believe you are correct. It seems like I did read something along those lines. I had the aerator in my mind when I read your post. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say Riggle would give a very unbiased opinion.

rcreech
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
I am far from biased, but I do love my Z.

If someone comes out with a better machine I would be the first to say it...but Z is the best right now!

Anyone that disagrees with me...must own a T-3000 and doesn't want to admit it :).

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Easy answer to the mud question. Buy one of each and run them day after day rain or shine, mud or no mud and when they wear out buy two more and do it again. You may or may not get an answer. There are good and bad points and flaws in all machines. I get tired of all the nit pic and slamming that goes on in a help site.

Bob I was wondering what the t-3000 people opinion was when Larry says he changes the t-3000's impeller to a Lesco Impeller is this something you recommend? Is this a flaw with the Spyker and have you dicussed this with Spyker?

americanlawn
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
We do not always agree with TURFCO, but in this case, it's a Spyker thing. We (as well as several Z-Spray owners) prefer the LESCO impeller compared to the Spyker impeller. Both our T's use LESCO impellers (straight fins vs two curved fins). Several Z-Owners use them too. Reason is, we do not have to rely on Spyker's "accuaway" adjustment. (To adjust the accuway relies upon a "cable" which quickly corrodes) IMO.

I suggest to all ride-on guys -- try replacing your Spyker impeller with a LESCO impeller. It's relatively easy to do this. Then compare. BTW we replace our LESCO impellers twice per year cuz we use XCU fert.

Bob I was wondering what the t-3000 people opinion was when Larry says he changes the t-3000's impeller to a Lesco Impeller is this something you recommend? Is this a flaw with the Spyker and have you dicussed this with Spyker?

a plus bob
10-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Just for you Larry enjoy !

ted putnam
10-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice Boom! Wish my Z-Spray had something like that!...Oh yea...it does!:laugh::laugh:

I couldn't resist!

grassman177
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
that looks like a 12 ft wide boom, any guesses here. good for turfco in making there machines more versitile with attachemnts.

ExecutiveLawns
10-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice, I am going to have to call turfco on monday about that boom and extra tank!

As far as other companies production numbers I cant say. But what I can say is that with my T we can spray a 10.2 acre residential property with herbicide and spread fert (spray setting at 1 gal per 4,000sqft and spread 1/2 pound of N per 1,000sqft) in 3 hours and 7 min. thats with 3 to 4 min pit stops to fill liquid and granular. I think this is pretty good. I can make after product cost just over $600 to go to overhead and payroll. Thats $200/hr with one guy

rcreech
10-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Nice, I am going to have to call turfco on monday about that boom and extra tank!

As far as other companies production numbers I cant say. But what I can say is that with my T we can spray a 10.2 acre residential property with herbicide and spread fert (spray setting at 1 gal per 4,000sqft and spread 1/2 pound of N per 1,000sqft) in 3 hours and 7 min. thats with 3 to 4 min pit stops to fill liquid and granular. I think this is pretty good. I can make after product cost just over $600 to go to overhead and payroll. Thats $200/hr with one guy

Those numbers are very good as that is what most of us can do! 3 to 3.5 acres/hour pretty much max's out any machine!

How's come Larry can spray 48 acres in a day and you can spray 30? :confused:

Are some T-3000's different then others?

His must have a nitro button or something! :laugh:

rcreech
10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
that looks like a 12 ft wide boom, any guesses here. good for turfco in making there machines more versitile with attachemnts.

Assuming 20" spacing the boom is 11' 6".

Thing is...you better not hit anything! The booms don't break back or atleast I dont' see a break away!

Something is going to bend or break if you hit something (which will definitly happen)!

Why in the heck don't they have AI tips on that boom? AI's are the only way to go IMO!

I do think the T is coming a long way though!

They are getting good attachments and the unit is now made out of stainless steel.

I am still glad I have what I do...but they have come along for a company that has only had a ride on spreader/sprayer for less then 2 years!

a plus bob
10-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Those numbers are very good as that is what most of us can do! 3 to 3.5 acres/hour pretty much max's out any machine!

Maybe he has really small feet and when he steps off a lawn his numbers come up short :laugh::laugh: Maybe we should buy him a measuring wheel.

ExecutiveLawns
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM

I think they have sped theirs up by 1 or 2 mph maybe more. Mine is stock except we cut a piece off the speed control bars(not sure what they are really called) so we can go full speed in reverse not just 2 mph.

On a normal day for us with the T we will do at most 10-12 acre but we are using it on alot of mid size residentials (10-24k)

americanlawn
11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
ExectiveLawns knows his stuff. What most folks on this site do not realize is that we've had access to T3000 "upgrades" (test parts too), but I was not privy to announcing them to the public. Now I'm expecting some to say the above pics were fabricated. Who knows.

My prob is, if a person has not operated a particular piece of equipment (like we have) -- "how would they know"?

Thanks ExecutiveLawn. BTW we still buy products from your parents' business, and I appreciate what you do for the City of Urbandale. :usflag:

rcreech
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
My prob is, if a person has not operated a particular piece of equipment (like we have) -- "how would they know"?

I am glad to hear you say that Larry!

I think I would say the same thing about the Z!

americanlawn
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks rcreech -- you are and always will be a friend of mine. The only Z-Spray unit we have not tried is the new "mini", so we have no experience whatsoever with it.

We totally LOVE Z-Sprays. Fun to drive, fast, productive, built ROCK solid, etc. Our only prob is our "customer base and route density". We usually have to deal with lawns that are close together - sometimes small, sometimes big. Often times we have 5 or 6 accounts on the same block. Obstacles too. Kinda like you need a PG to get these jobs done while spreading & spraying.... better yet, hand push the SOB's & then pull out a backpack sprayer.

I'll try to post a pic of our Spyker 220 (John Deere) which throws granules "quite far" soon. With this unit, we can 'raise the 3-point hitch' allowing us to spread fertilizer farther than even the Z-Max.

Bottom line, we think we have the best of both worlds. If I don't post a pic soon, you have my permission to say I'm full of sh$t..... kinda like folks tried to do until the GIE pics proved me right.... again. :laugh::walking:

ted putnam
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=americanlawn;3258661]Thanks rcreech -- you are and always will be a friend of mine. The only Z-Spray unit we have not tried is the new "mini", so we have no experience whatsoever with it.

We totally LOVE Z-Sprays. Fun to drive, fast, productive, built ROCK solid, etc. Our only prob is our "customer base and route density". We usually have to deal with lawns that are close together - sometimes small, sometimes big. Often times we have 5 or 6 accounts on the same block. Obstacles too. Kinda like you need a PG to get these jobs done while spreading & spraying.... better yet, hand push the SOB's & then pull out a backpack sprayer.

I'll try to post a pic of our Spyker 220 (John Deere) which throws granules "quite far" soon. With this unit, we can 'raise the 3-point hitch' allowing us to spread fertilizer farther than even the Z-Max.

Bottom line, we think we have the best of both worlds. If I don't post a pic soon, (you have my permission to say I'm full of sh$t..... ) kinda like folks tried to do until the GIE pics proved me right.... again. :laugh::walking:[/QUOTE

Uhhh.. we didn't need to wait or get permission to say you're full of sh$t. That's been going on here for months.
LOL!!!

Larry, Don't throw your arm out of socket patting yourself on the back too soon.:laugh: Of the load of "stuff" you've shoveled our way, the only thing those GIE pics proved was that an auxiliary tank can be fitted to the tray and plumbed.:laugh::laugh: :clapping:Thanks for shooting straight with those figures you posted Executivelawn. I'm sure those are based on reality not fantasy.

turfcobob
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM

If you call Lynn at Turfco we have a used Boom that we used to shoot video. She can make you a deal on it and it has never sprayed anything but water for a couple hours. Providing she still has it that was a few weeks ago.

rcreech
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Bob,

Please don't ignore my post because I am asking you questions regarding your unit.

I have several questions for you regarding your boom.

Does the boom break away?

Can you shut off sections of the boom?

Why are you not using AI tips?

Are you going to offer a foam marker?

These things are very important to me when using a boom!

I have a 10ft (Z-Spray), a 14ft (3 pt sprayer) and a 60ft farm sprayer and every one breaks away, has sections, uses AI tips and has either foam or a light bar.

I wouldn't spray without any of those features!!!!!

americanlawn
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
pic 1)
The 3-point hitch can be moved up & down about 12 inches. This allows for going up & down slopes, or narrowing the pattern when slowing the impeller speed. Note that it has a LESCO impeller.
pic 2)
Variable (impeller) speed control box is mounted in the plastic tool box (in front of the tail light). Duct tape? -- This unit has been rolled due to operator carelessness.
Note the knobby front tires. This helps with front end steering.
pic 3)
The accuaway cable is missing. We don't use it, and we used it to replace a corroded spreader gate cable.

We load up to 150 lbs of fert at a time, and no front weights are needed because the spreader was mounted as close to the John Deere as possible.

For those who are on this (non-teen) site merely to poke fun at members, PLEASE disregard this post. :walking::walking:

a plus bob
11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Larry what speed do you run the Deere at and how do you set it cruise control ? Man that would be great for spreading salt on parking lots.

grassman177
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
i have never been comfortable spreading or spraying behind me, but would be good to spread ice melt as bob said

americanlawn
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi apb - We had it timed at nearly 9 mph. There is no cruise control on the 445's, but we control the speed either by throttle, or (nearly all the time) by the foot pedals (FWD/REV). We always come out just right regarding product used. This thing is a 'beast'. It handles slopes pretty well cuz it's not a ZTR, and we normally run it "wide open" at about 8.5 mph in open areas. Not sure what the spread is, but you can guess it ain't narrow (unless you need it to be). Narrowest strips = about 4 feet (slow impeller speed, lower the 3-point, and use deflector shield when appropriate).

This beast is easy to use, but it does not spray. (actually we have a 50 gallon tank that fits on the 3-point hitch, but we quit using it after we swithched to XXXXXX units) :laugh:

br549oicu8
11-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Is that a trailer behind that truck??
LOL!!
Just could not resist that one...sorry.

americanlawn
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
:laugh:Yep it's a trailer. :laugh: Hey -- it pays to have options. :laugh:

grassman -- Anytime we can sit down & get paid for it, I'm all for it. :laugh:

BTW this Spyker 220 is 12 years old. We finally replaced the electric motor last year, and we replaced the (impeller) speed box control about 5 years ago. Like all Spykers we use, the cables shell out every other year.

When we first got this unit (many years back), we had a problem with streaking. We adjusted the "accuway" every way we could think of. Then we figured out that the "curved fins" (due to fast impeller speed) were the problem. So we installed a LESCO impeller (four straight fins). Ever since then, we have an even pattern on every lawn. :waving:

Is that a trailer behind that truck??
LOL!!
Just could not resist that one...sorry.

grassman177
11-02-2009, 10:41 PM
ha, a trailer, i forgot that one. so u use that on hills, i cant imagine that but i never liked lawn tractors anyways. i am a ztr kinda guy!!!! main thing is you have it calibrated and it makes you money.

ted putnam
11-03-2009, 01:06 AM
:laugh:Yep it's a trailer. :laugh: Hey -- it pays to have options. :laugh:

grassman -- Anytime we can sit down & get paid for it, I'm all for it. :laugh:

BTW this Spyker 220 is 12 years old. We finally replaced the electric motor last year, and we replaced the (impeller) speed box control about 5 years ago. Like all Spykers we use, the cables shell out every other year.

When we first got this unit (many years back), we had a problem with streaking. We adjusted the "accuway" every way we could think of. Then we figured out that the "curved fins" (due to fast impeller speed) were the problem. So we installed a LESCO impeller (four straight fins). Ever since then, we have an even pattern on every lawn. :waving:

I'm surprised the electric motor lasted you that long. Every other spreader I've ever heard of that used an electric motor to spread with didn't last long due to corrosion.